ForumsThe TavernGeneral Science Discussion

1019 156627
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Well, I was searching to see if this was already made, but the searches didn't show a thread with my idea so here it is. I am making this thread so we can have a typical tavern discussion thread for all things science! Basically, a thread for everything science! Ranging from discussions about laws and theories, scientific debate, breakthroughs, discussion about new scientific breakthroughs, certain scientists/philosophers, and all that good stuff!
So go out there and let out your inner science! ;P
To get us going somewhere I'll start: what do you think the future holds for technology? I think our knowledge will allow us to overcome the obstacles thrown at us in the future, I mean, we have discovered so much and have come so far!

• 1,019 Replies
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

All right,
What would happen if you put a potato in the microwave? When [the person] caught me trying I couldn't do it.

It would heat up then either have a semi-explosive split (Not Kaboom mind you, just some potato guts on the side of the microwave) or just crack open and cook. The heat will build up inside, and since I have never done it and a microwave works by making the water in the object move to create heat, it depends on how watery a potato is whether it would build up pressure fast or slow, and how tough the skin is. If the skin is too thin, it would just slit open and releive pressure that way, if it's able to hold a lot of pressure then you might see some potato splash.

SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

f it's able to hold a lot of pressure then you might see some potato splash.

^ The best results huh! ;D
And I agree with you 100% Kasic (my friend did it and I watched).
Secretmapper
Secretmapper
1,748 posts
Nomad

What about theoretical possibilities? I tried searching for some in google, but all I got was pages with those words on it. Anyone know some?

ewaldhew
ewaldhew
8 posts
Farmer

Well, I recently read this article on TIME talking about the 'singularity' a time when we manage to make such a powerful and intelligent machine that will take us into a new era...and all that.

My view is that although technology is indeed progressing at an exponential rate, computers are still, after all, made by us and should not be able to rival us in terms of intelligence, especially higher order thinking processes such as emotions and stuff.

What are your views?

SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

My view is that although technology is indeed progressing at an exponential rate, computers are still, after all, made by us and should not be able to rival us in terms of intelligence, especially higher order thinking processes such as emotions and stuff.

What are your views?

Well, I don't believe in the whole "robots overcome us" idea, I just think with our knowledge we will overcome our obstacles, may it be creating a vaccination for a surprise epidemic or something.
What about theoretical possibilities?

Theoretical possibilities for the potato or just in general?
For the potato, no other reasonable possibilities exist in my perspective, what else can happen besides burst and cook? For theoretical possibilities of anything, just think of some topic and make a theory about it... For example: Laughter was a theoretical possibility to cure cancer. There then was a study, and they found a connection between the two, the brain emits some kind of substance (forgot the name sorry) when something pleasures us; a funny joke for example, and laughing. That substance apparently "cures" cancer after a while. I suspect by creating some kind of reaction boosting the immune system(I willh ave to look it up in detail sometime).
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

To get us going somewhere I'll start: what do you think the future holds for technology?

Perhaps being able to link our minds to a virtual world through a headset.
http://www.northhollyhood.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Caprica.jpg

One of my favorites is speculative evolution.
http://speculativeevolution.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Perhaps being able to link our minds to a virtual world through a headset.

That would be really cool huh.
I was thinking about some hi-tech sunglasses that could display websites. Perhaps with a feature that allows you to see both the virtual web page, and what is in front of you. I guess kind of like a translucent-ish display. For the military, perhaps some shades even more hi-tech, like zooming, infrared, and distance from a certain object.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Going into science fiction land how about light engines on a space ship? Basically it's a propulsion system based on a solar sail. It would utilize a highly sensitive solar sail with a laser providing light that the sail would use to propel the ship. The whole system would then be enclosed in a sphere and mounted on a gyroscope allowing it to be pointed in any direction so the ship can maneuver in any direction. By mounting a few of these on a ship it could move in virtually any way it wanted to.

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Going into science fiction land how about light engines on a space ship? Basically it's a propulsion system based on a solar sail. It would utilize a highly sensitive solar sail with a laser providing light that the sail would use to propel the ship. The whole system would then be enclosed in a sphere and mounted on a gyroscope allowing it to be pointed in any direction so the ship can maneuver in any direction. By mounting a few of these on a ship it could move in virtually any way it wanted to.

The only issue with that is, as was stated in the article, the lasers are used to heat the gases around the object, thus altering the density of the surrounding area, which is what causes the movement. In space there isn't enough (if any) matter to affect with the lasers, as the surrounding area is immune to such effects.

Perhaps if we developed some sort of 'laser' that could affect the dark matter/energy in space then such a suggestion would be a viable option, but until then a high concentration of gases is necessary.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

The only issue with that is, as was stated in the article, the lasers are used to heat the gases around the object, thus altering the density of the surrounding area, which is what causes the movement. In space there isn't enough (if any) matter to affect with the lasers, as the surrounding area is immune to such effects.

Considering the system would be contained in a sphere perhaps that offers a work around to that problem.
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Hmm... that very well could. Perhaps by filling the sphere with some particular gas who's SG lends itself well to the proposition.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Though I thought it worked by the radiation pressure rather then the heating of gas?

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Okay how about artificial lifeforms.
We would need a synthetic substance that can be made to mimic the form and function of the brain. From here we could load it with either an artificial intelligence.
We could even possibly transfer a human mind into it by mapping the original brain pattern onto the artificial one.

If I get around to it I will do a write up on evolutions.

SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Hm...

We would need a synthetic substance that can be made to mimic the form and function of the brain.

Do you know how complex the brain is? That would be very hard to replicate for artificial intelligence. Extensive research would need to be done. More than what is already studied and mapped. You see, the brain stem would be a nightmare to connect to the spinal column; all those nerves and stuff. Perhaps our current technology would be better suited for this. Robotics for example: use the computer chips and etc used in robots as the mind. Then again, it wouldn't really have a conscious, is this something wanted for our artificial being? On a different view, we are playing God a bit too much... Technology is fine, but when it comes to making artificial beings (not robots but actual beings) is it too much?
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

I think the problem with artifical life is that we imput knowledge into it. how will it ever be like a human if it its told how everything is. i think they should make it so that they can learn and so that they have artifital "nerves", since the human brain is technically just electric impulses and chemicals. wait for it to grow and learn and see how it goes.

Showing 1-15 of 1019