ForumsWEPRA Paradox: Why would a benign God create penultimate evil

134 20553
camm95
camm95
52 posts
Nomad

just a question i've always had, and just so we are clear, this is not a question pertaining to any specific religion, it is simply a hypothetical.
please don't cite religious texts, i'd like to hear your personal opinions from purely rational viewpoints

• 134 Replies
Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

Hence, when you lobby against Gay marriage for example, we're going to push you back

I just have a question. Is the lobbying against Churches not allowing gay marriage, or marriage as a legal contract?

It's a little off topic, but I was just wondering.

And, to me, religion on earth seems like a test everyone goes through, if all was well and sweet and nothing forbidden by god existed, then there wouldn't be much point to religion, since we wouldn't be able to do anything against it. So, for that reason, there's this lurking evil, and those who sink into it are going to get screwed later on, right?

It seems that the whole thing about God being compassionate and nice starts once you're in heaven.
qwerty1011
qwerty1011
554 posts
Peasant

On a tangibly related note, atheists on this site tend to assume that the Bible should be treated as what religion says and all other sources are secondary and that's just how religion works. That is, of course, utterly baseless.

Well what is religion based on then. Any other thing is based on the bible and as the bible is so clearly unholy religion should be unholy and therefore is pointless as god should be holy. And religion is completely baseless anyway.
Wyrzen
Wyrzen
325 posts
Peasant

Lucifer means 'Son of the morning'. He was one of God's most glorified angels, and he fell and now tempt us. God is testing us.

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Well what is religion based on then.
People's ideas of religion. It's not all about text.

And religion is completely baseless anyway.
Or, you just don't know what you're talking about.

Lucifer means 'Son of the morning'.
Lucifer is no more his real name than Satan, though. His angelic name was obliterated when he fell from Heaven.

Unless Satan has the same amounts of power as God, then no.
God is consistently portrayed as more powerful Satan is second only to the Gster.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

And religion is completely baseless anyway.
Or, you just don't know what you're talking about.

If you can't prove it, it's baseless. I could tell you that i'm a 89 year old women dressed up as a clown, but that doens't make it true. Even showing you a photo of a 89 year old women dressed up as a clown wouldn't prove it's me.
cmb2kool
cmb2kool
378 posts
Nomad

Well I belive, Since God given us the choice to do what we choose (agency) One rebeled and now is evil and tries to influence us. He didn'y puposoley do this.

qwerty1011
qwerty1011
554 posts
Peasant

Well I belive, Since God given us the choice to do what we choose (agency) One rebeled and now is evil and tries to influence us. He didn'y puposoley do this.

Yes he did. He is omnipotent and can see the future in case you had forgotten.
rafterman
rafterman
600 posts
Nomad

God would have to create evil in order for something to be evil. A good being would not corrupt something to be evil unless it was not good in the first place, which would mean something must have corrupted it/created evil, but since God is the ultimate creator and good, he would never create evil. Therefore, evil does not exist and never has. Every creature to have ever existed has been good.

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

That reminds me - what's stopping God from just wiping Satan out of existence right now? It would remove the influence that he supposedly has on the Human Race and since God apparently cares about us you'd think he'd want to get rid of something that was so evil and corrupting.

ZipperedVenus42
ZipperedVenus42
185 posts
Nomad

Here is a good, logical explanation for all of this:

There is no God.

mysteriousmexican666
mysteriousmexican666
318 posts
Nomad

You can practice whatever you want as long as it doesn't affect those who do not follow your religion. Hence, when you lobby against Gay marriage for example, we're going to push you back. You could worship the magic potato fairy and claim that eating anything other than something that has potato in it is blasphemy, I wouldn't care, but if you lobbied that all foods without potato in them be banned, then i'd get in your face about it. So stop being a hypocrite and ask to be lefted alone, while you are trying to enforce your beliefs on others.
Nah, I support gay rights, and I don't even like potatoes. Don't make assumptions based on stereotypes. I'm not telling you to believe in religion, I'm simply acknowledging the fact that all atheists do on these forums is complain about religion. Most every post relating to religion is "Why god sux" or "What do you hate about god". Y'know, religion may not pertain to your life, but the least you guys could do is respect those whose lives it does pertain to. If anyone is a hypocrite, it's you.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Nah, I support gay rights, and I don't even like potatoes. Don't make assumptions based on stereotypes. I'm not telling you to believe in religion, I'm simply acknowledging the fact that all atheists do on these forums is complain about religion. Most every post relating to religion is "Why god sux" or "What do you hate about god". Y'know, religion may not pertain to your life, but the least you guys could do is respect those whose lives it does pertain to. If anyone is a hypocrite, it's you.

You act like if we are atheist, religion has nothing to do with our lives. Which of course is wrong. Idiotic laws are being passed on the bases of religion, scientific advancement is being held back do to religious beliefs, not to mention that even in modern times there is religious warfare going on. We have every right to insult the idiotic ideals of other people, doubly so if they try forcing their ideals on us.
Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

There is no God.
Hey guys, talking about Harry Potter? Questioning a plot element? Here's your answer: It's fiction! Yeah, right there, you've got it. Fiction. Totally invalidates any discussion of it. Can't talk about logic or internal consistency with fiction. Bet you guys didn't even know Harry Potter was fiction going in, did you? Otherwise you would have seen that talking about it is so utterly impossible. Good thing you had my keen eye, innit? Glad I was clever enough to catch that one.

See how annoying that is?
mysteriousmexican666
mysteriousmexican666
318 posts
Nomad

Idiotic laws are being passed on the bases of religion, scientific advancement is being held back do to religious beliefs, not to mention that even in modern times there is religious warfare going on. We have every right to insult the idiotic ideals of other people, doubly so if they try forcing their ideals on us.
There you go again, disrespecting my lifestyle. Not just mine, but over 30% of the world's lifestyle. If you have a problem with religion, you don't have to be rude. I don't go around saying "atheists are lame and crazy!". I respect what you have chosen to believe (or rather, what you don't believe). If you have a problem with people trying to force it on you, fine, be mad at those people. Just don't slander the whole religion just because of what a couple of people decided what they wanted to do with it. Most of what they do, I don't even like, so stop the stereotyping and the generalizations.
Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

You act like if we are atheist, religion has nothing to do with our lives. Which of course is wrong. Idiotic laws are being passed on the bases of religion, scientific advancement is being held back do to religious beliefs, not to mention that even in modern times there is religious warfare going on. We have every right to insult the idiotic ideals of other people, doubly so if they try forcing their ideals on us.

Well, laws are made by a majority. Of course if you are someone that does not agree with the law, for any reason, you will feel as if this group of people is forcing their ideals on you. It's what the majority wants, you live with the majority, and the majority just so happens to be religious. Just because you are choosing to say that their ideology is baseless, does not mean you gain the right to disrespect others.If your idea was so grand then it would make sense for all of us to cut religion from our lives, but obviously that isn't happening.
Showing 46-60 of 134