ForumsWEPRAbortion

1508 314931
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

What my peers here think?

I would like to try and avoid a buch of rabid Catholics and Christians falling back only on the religious reasons and what have you. However, I do not see how that can be dodged.

My view? I'm for it. If a woman wants to get one, it is her choice. Some people seem to act like if one woman gets an abortion, it means that all the rest have to. If the child in question is not yours, butt out.

Also, on a lighter note, I say that abortions should be allowed when kids are up to 18 years old. That would solve a lot of headaches, eh?

• 1,508 Replies
DaMasta333
DaMasta333
359 posts
Nomad

Another question: is it immoral for a person to die of natural causes?
That is what happens in a miscarry, and if God wants a miscarry, then he can let that happen.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,826 posts
Duke

Why would god want someone to have a miscarriage? I thought he liked people?

DaMasta333
DaMasta333
359 posts
Nomad

Humans see things from their own perspective. God sees the whole picture, and "He works everything for good."

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,826 posts
Duke

That would indicate that god could see our future, which would reject the concept of free will. Actually, nevermind, I don't want to go that route.
My basic argument: there is no justification for the illegality of abortion without bringing in religion. And using religion to define law like that is ... uh... can't think of a good word... silly.

DaMasta333
DaMasta333
359 posts
Nomad

Religion is what our founding fathers used to write the law.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,826 posts
Duke

NO NO NO!! Sorry, sore spot. The founders were religious, but they made a point to not bring it into our government.
There are only a few laws which loosely correspond to Biblical teaching. The idea of a republic is not religious, unless you worship Aristotle - which isn't a terrible idea

DaMasta333
DaMasta333
359 posts
Nomad

They made a poing not to bring the government into the church. By the way, George Washington led a prayer before both of the Continental Congresses.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,826 posts
Duke

That reflects the religiousness of the men in government, not the government itself. If you want proof that the U.S. was not founded on Christianity, here's a link to the Treaty of Tripoli, hang on, lemme find it:

[url]http://www.stephenjaygould.org/ctrl/treaty_tripoli.html[/url]

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,826 posts
Duke

Sorry, that's kind of long. It's article 11

DaMasta333
DaMasta333
359 posts
Nomad

Question: Where in the Constitution is the separation of church and state?

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,826 posts
Duke

You could argue that the First Amendment calls for it (Thomas Jefferson said it did, but he didn't write it).
The best evidence really is the Treaty of Tripoli which I just cited, and the fact that god isn't mentioned in the constitution at all. Hmmmm

DaMasta333
DaMasta333
359 posts
Nomad

The only mention of it is in the Federalist Papers (which aren't legally binding) where Jefferson said that the state shold not meddle in church affairs.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,826 posts
Duke

You're right that the church and state aren't expressly separated by the Constitution. But I think there's very strong evidence to suggest that the founders didn't want to Christianize the government itself - as indicated by religious freedom and what seems to be a conscious decision to not include god in the Constitution.

DaMasta333
DaMasta333
359 posts
Nomad

The reason there is freedom of religion is so that the government cannot tell the people what religion to believe in.

They just ran from that.(Church of England of Anglican Church.)

dirkpitt1
dirkpitt1
1,281 posts
Nomad

lets get back to the original topic. if youve ever seen a certain episode of house, house believes that the child should be murdered (i call abortion murder) in order to not risk the mothers life, but when they perform surgery on her, The child grabs his pinky when his hand is sticking out of her. I know its not realistic, but something like that would change a persons view of abortion very much. Theres no way around it, abortion is murder, a human killing another human without that humans consent. its not the babys fault if you get yourself pregnant at 18 with no boyfriend. The baby should be put up for adoption or something, if the mother can take care of it. It shouldnt be MURDERED.

Showing 331-345 of 1508