ForumsWEPRAbortion

1508 314945
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

What my peers here think?

I would like to try and avoid a buch of rabid Catholics and Christians falling back only on the religious reasons and what have you. However, I do not see how that can be dodged.

My view? I'm for it. If a woman wants to get one, it is her choice. Some people seem to act like if one woman gets an abortion, it means that all the rest have to. If the child in question is not yours, butt out.

Also, on a lighter note, I say that abortions should be allowed when kids are up to 18 years old. That would solve a lot of headaches, eh?

• 1,508 Replies
DivineDarkness
DivineDarkness
1,226 posts
Nomad

speaking of abortions that reminded me of that four-hundred twenty somthing girls that were Raped, abused, forced to marry at young age, tought false docterine, and lie.

ike354
ike354
53 posts
Nomad

It is murder, dont tell me it isnt if your mom got an abortion you would not be here therefore it is taking a life

ZekePowerful
ZekePowerful
25 posts
Nomad

I think that its not right becuse babies have a life too you know not like you democrats

First off, when it's in the womb, it's a fetus. Not a baby. And since there is no way to be completely and totally sure of a fetus's survival, or to what age it would survive, you can't call it murder. And as I'm sure has been said several times in these 38 pages it's the mother's choice. If she does not want to go through 9 months of pain, where does anyone else have the right to say "No, you have to have this baby"? It's not like since abortion is legal, EVERYONE has to get an abortion.
flashgamer233
flashgamer233
62 posts
Nomad

But it the woman's choice to do "it" in the first place...cmon thats like murdering another life just out of selfishness

BASHA
BASHA
660 posts
Nomad

if everyone who got knocked up had the baby most of those babies would have a crappy quality of life and foster homes would be overflowing so abortion is good

Strategy_guy
Strategy_guy
290 posts
Nomad

And so were many wars we fight but I see no giant protests about those thing. I think abortion is o.k. if you can't support the kid. If you are in a stable relisoship and have a good amount of money and cna support the kid then you really have no reason not to have the kid.

knight_34
knight_34
13,818 posts
Farmer

Don't blame me but in my opinion abortion is still murder. The best way of fixing it is preventing unwanted pregnancies. People are retarded enough to have unwanted pregnancies. Prevention is always the best cure.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Don't blame me but in my opinion abortion is still murder

Don't...blame? Maybe don't flame is appropriate, but if you're stating an opinion, you're stating an opinion

All the posts on this page are actually quite valid Perhaps it's possible to take the cross-section of them and come up with a more complete picture!

For legal abortion:

* Not allowing it is the witholding of a woman's right.

* One can't generally attribute responsibility to the woman.

* Allowing abortion may result in a higher quality of life for all parties and reduce suffering on the part of the 'ossible child'.

Against legal abortion:

* As development is a continuous process, we can't well differentiate between a "fetus" and a "living being" as our definition of living being is somewhat unclear. Therefore we will have to make an unpleasant arbitrary distinction or worse, hold a fuzzy one as to who to let live and who to let die. This is inconsistent with murder legislation. Or, you could say it's inconsistent with God's will, but I don't use that perspective.

* Legalised abortion may send the wrong messages to people and result in a greater sexual irresponsibility.

* Abortion carries significant health risks and implications to the carrier of the fetus.

Rebuttal to the against position:

* This ignores the fact that we cannot run properly on strict guidelines without violating broader principles.

* Legalising abortion is not the end of the story. As knight_34 points out, preventing unwanted pregnancies is an extremely important step, but this in fact then contradicts the rationale of the 2nd against point.

* Sometimes pregnancies themselves are much more dangerous and require some serious intervention that involves termination.

---

So in all, from the health-professional perspective, here are my recommendations to cover all cases:

1) Keep abortion legal. Like drugs, making it illegal will only divert trackable cases to backstreet operations or other "alternative" methods (including self-harm, alcoholism and suicide), which constitutes a greater risk.

2) Ensure that the risks are assessed on a case-by-case basis. We already do this, and it appears to be the best method for ensuring some kind of maximal benefit in terms of preserving as many lives as possible (the life of the unborn child cannot be placed above the life of the mother, or even both of them, as some anti-abortion stances dictate).

3) Education on safe sexual practices. This is oh-so-important and oh-so-neglected, particularly because many factions like to preach abstinence, either because of conservative sensibilities, conservative interpretation of theology, or both.

I'd just like to take a moment to tell you that this is really shortsighted. Fact of the matter is that the median age of incidence of sexual intercouse with somebody else is somewhere between 12-14. Want to deny it? Don't. Fact of the matter is that whether you believe it or not (or do it or not adolescents will gain interest and most will start doing it and not know what they're even doing if nobody tells them.

Sexual education has lapsed far and wide, especially in schools and in terms of the public, popular media. The response to the apparent sexualisation of popular media has been the call to suppress it, but again, this is moving in the wrong direction. If you want prevention, don't try to herd people by force as that's just too difficult, empower them to exercise that control they need, and grant them awareness!

That's the kind of prevention that we should be working on. If humans are so willing to consider themselves enlightened then they ought to at least consider using the methods that they call upon to label themselves such.
Ichibon
Ichibon
136 posts
Peasant

I would comment on this, but, Strope seems to have said it all. Brava.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Oh noes, I killed the thread :P

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Oh noes, I killed the thread :P

Oops, I forgot to say the main content of my post. I wouldn't normally leave such a vapid reply...

The stats I cited were Australian, I'll dig up the link if you don't believe me. As to whether the average in the US and Europe (other countries wouldn't be so relevant as predominant cultures differ)...well I wonder if it's any different.

Ichibon
Ichibon
136 posts
Peasant

Congratulations Strop. You have killed the thread. I'm gone 6 or 7 hours and no one has commented yet. Well here's some spice for the pot, abortion should have been put to practice long, long, long ago. Before Matheusala was born.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Ooh ooh, question *jumping up and down*

Can somebody trace the history of abortion?

By abortion, I'm going to define it as "the practice of attempting to deliberately induce a miscarriage/terminate a pregnancy".

dirkpitt1
dirkpitt1
1,281 posts
Nomad

real abortion? abortion means to end something, or get out of it, like aborting a mission for example.

Snakebite
Snakebite
996 posts
Nomad

I'm pretty sure one could trace it.

My opinion is, if you don't want to have a baby, DON'T HAVE SEX! It's simple as that... If people wouldn't go sleepin' around, there wouldn't be a need for abortion...

Showing 376-390 of 1508