ForumsWEPRAbortion

1508 314988
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

What my peers here think?

I would like to try and avoid a buch of rabid Catholics and Christians falling back only on the religious reasons and what have you. However, I do not see how that can be dodged.

My view? I'm for it. If a woman wants to get one, it is her choice. Some people seem to act like if one woman gets an abortion, it means that all the rest have to. If the child in question is not yours, butt out.

Also, on a lighter note, I say that abortions should be allowed when kids are up to 18 years old. That would solve a lot of headaches, eh?

• 1,508 Replies
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

You did not have sex with her, you did not deposit sperm into her uterus. You have no say.

And if you did, what then?

That, I felt, was one of the most significant areas of discussion- because it's usually the father wanting to weigh in on the decision and say "no, you must have an abortion" etc. etc.

There's a reason why the stance is pro-choice, as opposed to pro-abortion.
Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

If a woman gets pregnant than it is HER baby. I repeat, if a woman gets pregnant it is HER baby.

Yes, that is true, but what about the father? I am all for pro-choice, I don't think that politicians should be able to decide what a woman does with her own body. But I do think that the father (circumstances providing) should be able to weigh in on the decision.
necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

@thelistman-
Cost is one of the reasons for foreign adoption, but a much greater reason is that the American adoption system discourages interracial adoptions.

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,150 posts
Peasant

Pro choice all the way. our world is overpopulated such as it is. I think we NEED abortion. there is already homelessness on an epic scale. more than 6 BILLION people in the world, and world suffering and hunger. I just passed a homeless person the other day, and it scars me of what this world is deteriorating into.

Strat
Strat
107 posts
Nomad

our world is overpopulated such as it is.I think we NEED abortion.

I don't think we need abortion in the same way that we don't need war. These are separate issues that have nothing to do with each other, or at least don't impact on each other in significant enough ways to count as a reason. It's like saying we should nuke Ethiopia to mitigate starvation.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

I'd like to pose a new question here.

For those that believe in reincarnation, does this lessen the severity of abortion?

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

I'd have to say that I am completely against partial-birth abortions. Those are cruel, inhumane, and disgusting. But other than that, I can't tell a woman she can or can't have an abortion.

I do hold a libertarian-economic view on the issue though. I am against any government funding for abortions, just like I'm against government funding of anything.

WeeMan147
WeeMan147
199 posts
Nomad

...I can't tell a woman she can or can't have an abortion...

That is the key to this whole debate. No one can tell anyone else what to do with their unborn child. When you have a baby aborted in a medically sound environment, it is done in a safe way and poses little danger to the mother. It is a personal choice, and that's the only thing that is really debated.
thedemonlord
thedemonlord
26 posts
Nomad

Personally i think abortions should only be allowed if the woman was raped or the baby has a health problem.

I find it disgusting that some people go and sleep with any random person and if they become pregnant just have a abortion. I think they should be made to keep the child.

arkaninerenegade
arkaninerenegade
785 posts
Nomad

I agree with thedemonlord. in many african countries that are in civil war many women are being raped. they should be given the option of abortion. but if you just have sex with everbody you see then why should you be given the option of abortion.

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

For those that believe in reincarnation, does this lessen the severity of abortion?

What a long overdue reply!

I think that if you are a believer in reincarnation, then this would probably lessen the severity, but you also must think. I believe the sayings go, that when you are reincarnated, you are born into the same caste, or social level that you are in. Or into an insect or another animal. It really depends on what he/she sees on that....

The Africa situation is just something that can't be dealt with anytime soon. Abortions aren't given out freely. The pill is somewhat hard to access in those war-torn countries, and a medical procedure is something expensive, and also hard to access.
Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Definitely not. Please don't go all kamikaze on me because i am being religious.

No it does not. Because personally, i believe in it. And so God sends us down here for a purpose, a reason. If you just go and destroy that on purpose, that is entirely wrong.

Also, it is still there life to live and enjoy. Maybe something great will happen in it. Also, since reincarnation exists, don't you remember all your lives and have a record. So what if in one life you were meant to became great and have an excellent life, that would be deprived of your record, and you would never enjoy it.

Plus, it is not under any circumstances morally permissible to take another life for no reason other than a girl screwed it up and had sex when she was to young.
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

I'm still not sure people understand the nature of their defensive reactions regarding this so-called 'sexual irresponsibility' when it's patently evident that not many people are aware of the underlying and influencing factors on teen/undesired pregnancy.

Why are so many people focusing on it, anyway? Is it because you want to look like a morally righteous person? Because it's some kind of brand of cool? Because it doesn't have anything to do with you?

Let's assume that there are cases where a teen becomes pregnant and is evidently not responsible/capable enough to bring the child up on their own, because yes, this seems to happen quite often. My first question is how is this different from an older parent who doesn't seem to know how to go about it, and my second question is what standards are compelling such a judgment/reaction.

Then let's go with the "they did something stupid." Consider yourselves, and whether you're never going to be doing stupid in the span of the rest of your life.

I bet at least some of you reckoned you wouldn't, and that's my point. Even with tons of forewarning, people don't think/aren't aware they're going to do something stupid which is precisely why in hindsight, we recognise that it is stupid, whether it's an act of sex, alcohol, violence, crime, negligence, betrayal or anything else.

bigBLUEbOnG
bigBLUEbOnG
22 posts
Nomad

A very hard subject to talk about. You can't ever say right or wrong when it comes to abortion. It depends on the situation the mother or family is in. So try not to be to quick to judge when you here about an abortion.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Fetus are not even humans, just cells that do nothing.

Showing 511-525 of 1508