ForumsWEPRAbortion

1508 314986
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

What my peers here think?

I would like to try and avoid a buch of rabid Catholics and Christians falling back only on the religious reasons and what have you. However, I do not see how that can be dodged.

My view? I'm for it. If a woman wants to get one, it is her choice. Some people seem to act like if one woman gets an abortion, it means that all the rest have to. If the child in question is not yours, butt out.

Also, on a lighter note, I say that abortions should be allowed when kids are up to 18 years old. That would solve a lot of headaches, eh?

• 1,508 Replies
Zootsuit_riot
Zootsuit_riot
1,523 posts
Nomad

I think that it is wrong to take away what could have been a fully prosperous human life, but, under the right circumstances abortion is the right option. I would much rather have the fetus aborted than have a child go through crappy foster families, or grow up on the streets with no parents. It is definitely the mother's choice though, and religious beliefs of those in the political system should not be forced onto those who actually have to make the decision.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Well, I think it's okay to not recommend abortion- it is by no means an easy solution and the consequences of it can be far more severe than not.

It's not supposed to be an easy call to make.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

A fetus is nothing but just cells.
Abortion is like removing cancerous cells.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Fetus are not even humans, just cells that do nothing.

Drace, you are starting to scare me and i mean that from the bottom of my heart.

It does not matter of they are cells. They will become humans, does that not shock that they are being murdered. Imagine if someone took your son (not saying you have one) and killed it then flushed it down the toilet. How would you feel? Because that is basically what an abortion is, the killing of a human. Also almost all abortions occur when it is an actual human, just not ready for birth yet, but they are classified as a human.

BTW: I think it is sick that they have to be at a certain stage before they are human. I think the minute the women is pregnant, whether it is a fetus or not, it should then be classified human immediately. It is only not human when it is not in any physical form.
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Well I don't think the mothers want them.

They are just cells. They do not move, think, or do anything at their early stage!

Sure they will become human, but whats so good for another human to be born? Its bad if someone punched a 1 year old baby, but if that baby was not their, its like punching air. Nothing happens.

Imagine if someone took your son (not saying you have one) and killed it then flushed it down the toilet.

Its not the same because I have feelings for my son. Who has feelings for a "mistake"?
BASHA
BASHA
660 posts
Nomad

ricador, think about this, the primary amount of abortions come from teens whome would not make good parents and even if they did make good parents they would not have that much money. Minimum wage bearly even enough to support yourself so imagine what it would be like adding a baby to tht skinny wallet. it might die of neglect, or hunger or dehydration.
and do you really think this world needs more people.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

They will become humans, does that not shock that they are being murdered.

Well, if you're going to go down this path, I won't say you're necessarily wrong but you certainly won't come up with any satisfactory answer. Also, in order to remain consistent, you may have to bite the bullet and employ some pretty Draconian (e.g. traditional Roman Catholic) values. It's for the purposes of legal consideration that we establish these arbitrary guidelines.

Speaking of which, I hear that the state of Victoria (Australia) looks fairly set (pending a conscience vote) to decriminalise abortion. Furthermore, the specifics is that it is entirely legal up to 24 weeks and in the cases of late-term pregnancy, pending a consultation, opinion and recommendation of two doctors.

I think this is a good guideline and I am confident that it is derived from reports based on rigorous evidence. All things considered and in the absence of other definitive criteria (I do not believe "a fertilised zygote must be considered a human" is an acceptable premise), I've based my assessment on the criteria for neurological function especially capacity for sensation and perception- or pain and suffering respectively.

More specifically, the accepted evidence suggests that animals cannot feel pain until their neural networks have been connected and activated. For this to happen, the nerves have to be formed, then sprout and eventually reach their destination, which does not happen before 26 weeks. Furthermore, an abortion past this stage poses a significantly greater risk to the woman unless in case of medical emergency.

...all this said I certainly won't deny that the partial-birth surgical procedures generally done after 12 weeks are gross and disturbing, and can understand why one might want to call it murder. But I simply can't uphold that judgment when I'm being rigorous.
Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

There are feelings.

In fact, the abortion process is shocking. Most mothers after the abortion say the are scarred for life. They also wish they had kept there child. It was in a book called post abortion trauma, you should read it.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Well no duh, its easy saying that once you don't have to worry about it!

One scary moment, or your whole life a scary moment.

Keeping an unwanted child is not good for anyone.

GreatZulu638
GreatZulu638
279 posts
Nomad

it depends.. i dont think it should be allowed, but at the same time its up to the person.. im not going to say someone cant because im not involved in that case..

trigger347
trigger347
33 posts
Peasant

Abortion...

To me its one of those scenarios that really there should be no deciding power to tell someone what they can or cannot do, or at what stage something can be done. It has been under such heavy debate of morals and ethics from all stages to contraceptives, ECP (Emergency contraceptive pills aka morning after), RU486 (the drug most commonly given medication for an abortion during the first two months of pregnancy), suctioning, partial birth etc. that nothing can be concrete in limitations or permitting, therefore the only resolution is to allow the choice to be made. Unfortunately the honest truth is that what is deemed illegal still occurs anyway and it would be in the best interest of the population for there to be appropriate certified centers to perform the procedures for the the general welfare, health and safety and condition of pregnant women. I have seen 'botched' cases and by the results of those alone (internal bleeding, infertility, altered emotional/family coping/functioning and occasionally death) I would much rather be for Abortion so that there could be some regulation in its processes and procedures than for the alternative to happen, regardless of my own personal views on abortion.

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

It's called giving it to adoption Drace, there is an alternative.

Sure they will become human, but whats so good for another human to be born? Its bad if someone punched a 1 year old baby, but if that baby was not their, its like punching air. Nothing happens

That made absolutely no sense. If anything wasn't there, you would be punching air.

What's good for another baby to be born? It's giving life. Someone to take care of as a couple, or even just a widow. Someone to love.
Zootsuit_riot
Zootsuit_riot
1,523 posts
Nomad

What's good for another baby to be born? It's giving life. Someone to take care of as a couple, or even just a widow. Someone to love.

But what happens when the baby is unwanted? Accidents happen, Estel. My girlfriend's brother and his wife have had a few close calls themselves, and I know that they would probably seek abortion, because both feel that they aren't ready for children quite yet.
Zootsuit_riot
Zootsuit_riot
1,523 posts
Nomad

Sorry for the double post, but I forgot that add that sometimes adoption isn't always the best option. If you give the baby to an orphanage, it could go a very long time without being taken in by a new family. Foster care isn't exactly the best system either.

quakingphear
quakingphear
410 posts
Peasant

I won't take a stance on either side. I can't really without having a personal experience in it. But I do know that a long time ago an older relative of mine(probably a great grandmother) Performed a self-abortion with a coat hanger, and very well could have died. A clinic seems like a better choice compared to that alternative, but then again maybe abortion is pre-meditated murder? I'm just putting that out there.

Showing 526-540 of 1508