ForumsWEPR[necro] Legalization of Marijuana

794 157467
ligaboy
ligaboy
1,051 posts
Peasant

I know that there is a topic about legalizing drugs, but I wanted to talk about Marijuana specifically.

Marijuana was banned in 1937 in the US and is now said to be a gate-way to more dangerous illegal drugs. However in this current state of economy I think we'd be better off with the legalization of marijuana. First, it would provide jobs for people. Second, more tax money to the government. Third, it would decrease sale to minors.

• 794 Replies
SonnyNerd
SonnyNerd
634 posts
Nomad

It won't turn legal cus someone creates a thread about it o.O

caucasiafro
caucasiafro
338 posts
Nomad

Video games can cause harm, but if people want to spend time and cash on video games, who cares? Many people don't exercise regularly but people who play video games may lose strength from lack of doing anything to keep their muscles maintained. People may also become psychologically addicted to a video game. However, these cases are very rare.

Oh, and they could be putting subliminal messages in them to that tell you to go out and kill people and not go to work, just like big pot companies would definitely lace marijuana with hard drugs because we all know they wont get in a shit load of trouble for it. :P
German3945
German3945
996 posts
Nomad

Video games can eat up time, cash, and it can cause lack of exercise and in rare cases, addiction.

one man has died before while playing video games.
heart attack.

Now weed looks pretty golden huh? (joke. don't go debate over it.)

The same goes for marijuana. There are downsides, but the extreme cases are very rare and the mild cases (such as waste of money and waste of time - opinion) shouldn't be used to keep something illegal.

agreed.
Medical Marijuana could be viewed as a necessity after legalized.
German3945
German3945
996 posts
Nomad

just like big pot companies would definitely lace marijuana with hard drugs because we all know they wont get in a **** load of trouble for it. :P

We JUST went over how that's not a viable answer because

1) With a controversial drug, it'll be heavily watched.
2) Medical Marijuana would not grant production of marijuana to any of the public, and since full legalization is not practical, your entire argument is useless.
caucasiafro
caucasiafro
338 posts
Nomad

We JUST went over how that's not a viable answer because
1) With a controversial drug, it'll be heavily watched.
2) Medical Marijuana would not grant production of marijuana to any of the public, and since full legalization is not practical, your entire argument is useless.

I guess I didnt do that very well, I was joking, sorry. of course they wont but crap in it.
The only time booze had really dangerous stuff, besides the alcohol itself, in it was when it WAS illegal.
Blu3sBr0s
Blu3sBr0s
1,287 posts
Nomad

True. But it may if one of the 2 national parties that are pro-legalization are elcted in Canada.

Then there is a third party whose stance is not currently pro-legalization but less than 20 years ago they were in power and on the verge of doing it.
TheDude42
TheDude42
1,026 posts
Nomad

Okay, medical marijuana is okay, I'm just afraid it will be used for non-medical uses.

German3945
German3945
996 posts
Nomad

Well that's just something that happens with all drugs, usually because the companies will pay the doctors to prescribe it. That, however, will not be a factor with medical marijuana because the gov't would be terribly ridiculed for paying doctors to prescribe weed.

There are occurrences today of medical marijuana being prescribed for non-medical uses (doctors taking the money payed for the visit, in a way for the prescription) but it's not as often that you come across a doctor who believes in falsely prescribing anything.
However, many times you still have to have something minutely wrong with you that marijuana helps with to get the prescription, even if it's a bum/jerking knee (which it does help with).

It's a risk involved in the legalization of medical marijuana, but it happens. It will happen, but the key thing to remember is that the overall effects of marijuana even when not used for needed purposes are usually neutral at worst.

AnaLoGMunKy
AnaLoGMunKy
1,573 posts
Blacksmith

And it will never be legal if people dont talk about it. Talking is the best weapon I have. Grrrstupidgodarnpeoplewhosclosedmindallowedafrikkinplantobecomeilligalgrrrrrrrr
wyntonian
wyntonian
44 posts
Nomad

just treat it like tobacco. there we go. problem solved. and the gov gets more money to help with the recession.

TheDude42
TheDude42
1,026 posts
Nomad

Well, remember that smoking also affects the people around you.

German3945
German3945
996 posts
Nomad

There is no evidence to suggest second-hand marijuana smoke is bad.

It very well could be (and makes sense if it is), and if it is bad for you, then -- HEY -- you can walk into the other room. Medical Marijuana being legalized does not mean smoking marijuana in public places will be legalized, and if you're not smoking it in a public area, it is the other person's decision as to whether or not they want to be in the same private area as you.

goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

Marijuana has been added to the Proposition 65 list of chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer.

you should not smoke anything near persons, who do not want to be passive smokers.

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

You always hear of marijuana smoke containing cancer causing elements, yet you absolutely NEVER hear of someone dieing from cancer caused by marijuana!

Marijuana smoke contains cancer causing chemicals, yet there are absolutely no cases of people who got cancer from smoking marijuana.

If you want to play into the government's "it might cause cancer, but we aren't sure" game, then stop drinking milk. Milk too has been associated with cancer.

So stop saying marijuana causes cancers when there's no evidence that it does. They aren't scientific experts, they are manipulative experts.

goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

We can't be sure that marijuana does not cause cancer. Some studies, appear to link smoking marijuana with lung cancer but some others concluded that it does not lead to lung cancer.

I have to say though that you are correct and that probably many of the results are made by "manipulative experts", nonetheless we can't be totally sure that marijuana does not cause cancer.

Links:
Marijuana causes cancer(this research is probalby amde by manipulative experts)
Study Finds No Cancer-Marijuana Connection
Marijuana Unlikely to Cause Head, Neck, or Lung Cancer
Myths and Facts About Marijuana
Cannabis Doesn't Cause Cancer, But It Might Cure It
does smoking marijuana cause lung cancer, too? The short answer -- probably.
Does it cause cancer?

Showing 526-540 of 794