ForumsWEPRAmerican Obesity

329 49084
snazzy777
snazzy777
739 posts
Nomad

What do you think about the problem of obesity in America? For me, I think it is so messed up how people keep eating and eating and eating without any form of exercise. I really don't like it when obese people say they want to diet, but then go to McDonalds and order a Large BigMac meal and a diet coke because they are on a diet . . .It just aggravates me how they feel like victims, when in fact they are the ones hurting themselves.

• 329 Replies
Somers
Somers
1,532 posts
Nomad

the fat people in america should move to ethiopia, just to even things out a little

lol!! Yes! that solves everything!
Blu3sBr0s
Blu3sBr0s
1,287 posts
Nomad

Because we really want the government to control what we eat for food...

Is that a problem?

The government controls lots of things in your life, and they do a darn good job of it.

Canada just banned trans fats in restaurants.

Makes me proud to be Canadian.
tomertheking
tomertheking
1,751 posts
Jester

the fat people in america should move to ethiopia, just to even things out a little.

Is Obama fat? Please please please please say Yes!!!
balerion07
balerion07
2,837 posts
Peasant

yes

What would we do once all the fat people were in Ethiopia, no one would be left here in America.

tomertheking
tomertheking
1,751 posts
Jester

What would we do once all the fat people were in Ethiopia, no one would be left here in America.

Move Obama and Stalins grave to America! Finaly obama will
understand what is true love!
RainingHell
RainingHell
61 posts
Nomad

Personally, I have a belief in why America has so many obese people.

I think it's the fact that life in America is a lot easier than life in other countries.

By this, I mean that Americans do not have to do as much to live as other countries. In third-world countries which do not have plumbing for water, do not have many jobs and/or do not have decent-paying jobs, and where food is scarce, it is like hell compared to America.

In third-world countries, they may have to fetch water to wash with and drink. They may have to schools where they do not have a hot lunch every day like they do in America. They may have to work in harsh conditions after school or they may be forced to drop out of school to work just to help their family.

In America now, for water, we just turn a faucet on. The schools serve hot lunches every day which isn't very healthy because a lot of it is fried or filled with synthetic substances to substitute for chicken and such. In America, you also have laws against children working so many hours a day which does not exist in some other countries. This means that children in other countries might have to work the hours an adult has to.

----

Now, thinking about it, life in America is hell of a lot easier because we have one thing other countries don't usually have: WELFARE. This means you can still feed your kids even if you're not working. In other countries, if you don't work, you starve.

With the spare time you have in America due to many luxuries, you spend a lot of time doing little or nothing at all. In other countries, the people there may not have that much spare time.

Sitting on the couch watching TV all day will of course make you obese due to the fact that you still get your 3 meals a day without doing anything to burn the weight off.

Also, the fast-food restaurants in America contribute to the obesity factor and are one of the bigger factors. The food in these restaurants are filled with a lot of unhealthy things which makes the food taste "better". Therefore, people get hooked and come back more often. Combined with the lax amount of work, you get obesity.

----

My little theory may be flawed because I typed it just after I got home from school and I'm a little groggy but hopefully, I got out some/part of my point.

TheDude42
TheDude42
1,026 posts
Nomad

the fat people in america should move to ethiopia, just to even things out a little.

I cannot even count the problems with that plan. If the Ethiopian people moved here they wouldn't know how to do other people's jobs, and if the Ethiopians stayed, Ethiopia would be crowded= Disease and government problems. Besides, it would be communism, and it would cost a lot of money.
And for those of you saying America is the fattest country in the world, that's not true. It's actually some island in the Pacific.
Elitemagical
Elitemagical
1,207 posts
Nomad

Every country on the face of the planet owns an increasing percentage of obesity[quote]Ethiopia. Do you REALLY think they have increasing obesity? If they did they would eat the fat people because they are so hungry thus solving the problem.
[/quote]

Bah, sorry for not realising there were people as pedantic as you in the community! Excluding the majority (if not all) of the third world countries, including the majority (if not all) of the second world countries, and including all of the first world countries.

In the words of a wise AGer that came before me just make the doors on fast food restaurants smaller and get rid of drive thru's. They can't fit in the door and they can no longer stay in their car..or you could put treadmills on the sidewalks in front of mcdonalds...

And for the people whom do not visit a fast food chain on a regular basis, or are not fat? Do they have to squeeze through tiny doors, and run over treadmills, and not be able to just order easily from their car? Sounds a bit horrible to those whom are not part of those whom the plan aims at.

I'm not obese but I'm no anorexic... Its not so much that its unhealthy, just people don't see fat movie stars or anything.. so they think you have to be skinny... when you /need/ fat... if it gets cold in the winter you're going to freeze while the fat kids survive...

This thread is aimed with concerns to the growing obesity, but that does not mean there should not be worries about the skinniest of people. We could also use the argument 'when you need to be skinny . . . If it gets hot in the winter you're going to boil while the skinny kids survive'. You need a balance, if you get too far to either end people will start to have concerns about your health.

I don't really understand why people can be so fat McDonalds, Wendies ect... Is over-priced and doesn't even taste that good.

I agree, however many people must enjoy it if you're as big a company as McDonalds.

But there are a few kids in my school that are just morbidly obese. Urgh . . . .

Well if it's morbid then it's not really within the concerns of this thread. This thread is about the individual's choice, and the company's who aided it. You could have morbid skinniness, but no one really aided you on that, and it may not be ones fault.

It's a shame people have to suffer illnesses like that . . .

Anyway's I think it's the governments part mainly (not entirely) because they don't try HARD enough to make new healthier better tasting restaurants.[quote]Because we really want the government to control what we eat for food...[ - ]
[/quote]

Agreed. At that point anything that has the power to make someone slightly obese would be controlled by the government. How would you like the government barking: 'All computers can only be used for one hour!'?

Because we really want the government to control what we eat for food...[quote]Is that a problem?
[/quote]

Well the government can then tell you to eat dog shit from the floor. Of course it's a problem.

the fat people in america should move to ethiopia, just to even things out a little.[quote]I cannot even count the problems with that plan. If the Ethiopian people moved here they wouldn't know how to do other people's jobs, and if the Ethiopians stayed, Ethiopia would be crowded= Disease and government problems. Besides, it would be communism, and it would cost a lot of money.
And for those of you saying America is the fattest country in the world, that's not true. It's actually some island in the Pacific.
[/quote]

It was a racist joke.
SSWaffen
SSWaffen
80 posts
Nomad

What would we do once all the fat people were in Ethiopia, no one would be left here in America

Only 25% of every state is obese (take a little add a little to the %) so wait that would still leave about 75% of every state with people.
SSWaffen
SSWaffen
80 posts
Nomad

I don't really understand why people can be so fat McDonalds, Wendies ect... Is over-priced and doesn't even taste that good.
I agree, however many people must enjoy it if you're as big a company as McDonalds.

That makes the most sense I've heard all day...
snazzy777
snazzy777
739 posts
Nomad

Well, I think that fast food restaurants are good, but not good for you.

Blu3sBr0s
Blu3sBr0s
1,287 posts
Nomad

My little theory

...hmmmm? Did you make that up?

More like it's obvious xD

It's simple. This all gets back to my "Obesity is Immoral" Thread

People in well-off countries still eat as though we are in the cave and every meal is a life saver. When there are people like that in the world

And it is because our body still thinks that we are in that cave even though in our society it is unnecessary (horrible spelling right there?)

Our body hasn't caught up to our society. It tells us we are still hungry when we've eaten enough. So we need to be aware of that and eat properly.

People don't eat fruit anymore because of all the sweet things that come from factories, fruit used to be one of the only ways to get sugar. Now that we have stuff much more sweet than fruit, it isn't consumed like it used to be.

Obesity is wrong, and disgusting.

And I don't know how anyone could ALLOW themselves to get that point...it's called self control people.

GEEZE....ranting makes me tired...
TheDude42
TheDude42
1,026 posts
Nomad

It's a free country. People can do whatever the heck they want to, and decide on their lifestyle choice.

DACMiester
DACMiester
74 posts
Shepherd

ummm.... Obecity (as people apparently dont realize) is NOT the biggest problem in America. obecity rates in other places are higher in america, and people make fun of us for it every day. im sick of it. plus, thousands of americans have been reducing intake of fatty foods, and companies have been realizing the problem and giving healthier food.

My two cents... lighten up, people.

Blu3sBr0s
Blu3sBr0s
1,287 posts
Nomad

It's a free country. People can do whatever the heck they want to, and decide on their lifestyle choice.

My question to you.

Should it be?
Showing 271-285 of 329