The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsWEPRIntelligent design Vs Evolution

388 55556
redace333
redace333
130 posts
Nomad

I just now found out about this forum and didn't notice a I.D. Vs E. thread so I decided to make one.

I am a Christian and believe in intelligent design is the way the world came to be.

What does everyone else think about this subject?

• 388 Replies
minno
minno
93 posts
Peasant

Just reading a few of the pro-ID posts made me completely facepalm.

One small thing:

Theory in science =/= theory in normal language. A theory in science is an idea that has evidence behind it that hasn't been proven wrong. If a theory isn't proven wrong for long enough, it graduates to a "law." The word "theory" in normal usage corresponds to "hypothesis", which is a sort of educated guess.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,821 posts
Shepherd

Really? Another one of these? I say that all except one thread discussing anything about God or Gods existing should be locked. That would be so much simpler. I'll ask the mods if they can make a sticky along the lines of "Are There Gods?", that seems like a good idea...

You kidding? There are a lot of debates going on about religion on AG - if it was all one thread, it'd be cluttered and impossible to follow.
thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

Yes but most of them all start and end the same. Christians can't prove His existence and atheists can't prove his nonexistence.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

If a theory isn't proven wrong for long enough, it graduates to a "law." The word "theory" in normal usage corresponds to "hypothesis", which is a sort of educated guess.

Almost. A theory that cannot be proven false within the bounds of Earth is a scientific law. A hypothesis graduates to a theory if it has been tested many times, been proven true so far, and has lots of genuine evidence backing it up.
redace333
redace333
130 posts
Nomad

1. Did anyone actually read http://www.angelfire.com/mi/dinosaurs/bigbang.html Or
http://nov55.com/bb.html

Yes, it's a fact. I explained why - pay attention. It's annoying when people don't pay attention. If you argue against something and make points directly based off of incorrect information, like you are, then you're wrong. Plain and simple.

What was directly based off incorrect info that i said?

Comets have crash-landed on the Earth and had amino acids on them

Either that, Or amino acids crash-landed on the comets.

4. I am unable to answer 6 peoples questions with the limited time i have. Why do none of you answer my 1 question? (Do you believe the world is millions of years old)

The theory of relativity is considered a scientific fact. According to that, there would be no time as all space was infinitely compressed.

But what i said is that nothing-ness turning into something is not proven.

And thus those deluded by a system of lies fall ever deeper into fanaticism.

Did you make up that? that's a pretty cool quote.

the Church has been forced to change the bible many times, in order to keep their religion from crumbling

Where???
The finding of the dead sea scrolls say otherwise.

Yes we can.

Was someone there when life began to observe it?
redace333
redace333
130 posts
Nomad

Theory in science =/= theory in normal language. A theory in science is an idea that has evidence behind it that hasn't been proven wrong. If a theory isn't proven wrong for long enough, it graduates to a "law." The word "theory" in normal usage corresponds to "hypothesis", which is a sort of educated guess.

But that still doesn't mean it has be proven to be true.
Moe
Moe
1,714 posts
Blacksmith

1. Did anyone actually read http://www.angelfire.com/mi/dinosaurs/bigbang.html Or
http://nov55.com/bb.html

The first one doesn't work and the second one is combining early theories and ideas behind the big bang with more modern ones.

Where???

There have been several additions and subtractions from the bible over the years. I forget what has been add/taken away, but it has been done.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

I'll ask the mods if they can make a sticky along the lines of "Are There Gods?", that seems like a good idea...

The only reason why these three are staying put and not being locked up is because they have different forms. One is questioning God. This is a battle between ID and Evolution. One is questioning Origin vs. Evolution which is RETARDED.

Where???

1)Let's start with the Sun. Back then, it was believed by the Church that the Sun and all the planets found back then revolved around Earth, because we were put here by God and none other is greater than it. Then, a glorious scientist named Copernicus found that's not the case. He was executed for blasphemy against God's will. Later, it was becoming more plausible and people began to question the religion, so the Church wrote it in the bible.

2)As more and more organisms of varying complexities were being dug up, Noah's ark was in danger of sinking. To counter this, the Church has adopted the idea that Noah brought to his ark different "kinds" of animals. The idea that it was done in a thousand years still defeated it, and the Church was left baffled; Noah's ark sank.

As there are others, we're welcome to debate this in a different thread though, since this isn't supposed to be a part of this topic
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,821 posts
Shepherd

What was directly based off incorrect info that i said?

Your arguments about the Big Bang being nothing creating something. It being an explosion. All of that is based on incorrect information.
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,821 posts
Shepherd

Either that, Or amino acids crash-landed on the comets.

. . . no. I'm talking about amino acids in space.

(Do you believe the world is millions of years old)

About 4.6 billion, actually.

But what i said is that nothing-ness turning into something is not proven.

Are you even reading your own posts? That's not what you said. At all. You said that there being no time wasn't a fact. I proved it was, refuting you. What you said up thar ^^ that I quoted is you ignoring me to try to stay alive in this debate, which you lost a long time ago. You're just making things up now.`
hatswa
hatswa
77 posts
Nomad

Being the bored and procrastinator I am, I read through this entire thread and figured i'd throw in my own two cents.

I used to be a pure blood atheist. After much thought of the creation of the universe I revised my beliefs. I believe in "god", but not in the sense of any religion that I know of.

The reason for this is that in theory matter and energy cannot be created from nothingness* thus something/one/whatever had to be "create" matter and or energy. I do not believe that God is a living being or even sentient for that matter. I think that "god" has no influence on anything beyond the creation of matter and energy.

I also would like to say that I do believe in evolution and I agree with I think Alt's statement about amino acids.

Supposedly infinity aught not exist yet the universe is supposedly infinite. But if the universe is not infinite what is beyond its boundries(O_o)?

*(Yes I know Einsteins theory that matter can be destroyed to create energy but i'm a bit fuzzy on the details on whether it is actually the destruction of matter or just atoms)

Well im done ranting for now.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

The reason for this is that in theory matter and energy cannot be created from nothingness*

It's matter an energy can't be created nor destroyed.

*(Yes I know Einsteins theory that matter can be destroyed to create energy but i'm a bit fuzzy on the details on whether it is actually the destruction of matter or just atoms)

As stated matter an energy can't be created nor destroyed, so it's not matter is destroyed to create energy but matter is changed into energy.
hatswa
hatswa
77 posts
Nomad

Wait, so matter is a "form" of energy? So in that case matter is converted into energy thus the total amount of Matter and energy together in the universe must remain the same then and not each individualy.

When I said "I wasn't sure whether it was destruction of atoms" I meant the splitting of it into sub atomic particles. Thus not technicly destruction. (worded it incorrectly)

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Wait, so matter is a "form" of energy?

In a way. We can convert energy into matter and as you already know back into energy. Think of energy as particles in action.

So in that case matter is converted into energy thus the total amount of Matter and energy together in the universe must remain the same then and not each individualy.

Yep.
Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

They have split subatmoic particles...electrons, protons, and neutrons into smaller particles...

Showing 91-105 of 388