ForumsThe TavernAre we becoming too dependent on computers?

100 19385
DaoGao
DaoGao
220 posts
Nomad

Well, what do you think?

• 100 Replies
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

also if computers just vanished, worldwide production would drop to a fraction of what it is today.

Probably. Though it wouldn't be impossible to produce goods that existed before the proliferation of the integrated circuit.

there are some things that are made by hand, but the majority of today's products are not.

A majority isn't 100%.

if it wasnt for computers i will never have contact with my gf and without my gf i would die so therfor computers need to be depended on

If you only live for some prospective partner, that's worthy of shame.
Kalb789
Kalb789
639 posts
Baron

A majority isn't 100%.

maybe i was exaggerating a tiny bit
shadowbrien8000
shadowbrien8000
1 posts
Nomad

that is true, but why would we use them.
I mean why are we too dependent on computers?
I doing a report on this for my school homework.

Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

I think that some people use them too much, but in essence, they are tools. However, in the future, when computers surpass the processing power of human beings, in theory, the will become self aware and that can be a good or bad thing. They could either be our friends or revolt and destroy us like in the Terminator movies. I mean, when you look at those movies, they have unmanned drones (like we do, although they are self thinking) and we have already began to develop "tech suits" that people can control which will be essentially the shell of one of the terminators.

Xavierthe9
Xavierthe9
155 posts
Farmer

yes, we are. at my school, we do almost everything on the computer.if i didnt have one, i would be failing right now... it really sucks. But computers are awesome nonetheless!

soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

Are we becoming more and more dependent on computers? Yes. Is that a bad thing? I don't think so. Have we become more dependent on medicine? If we didn't have medicine, our immune system might have been stronger than it is now. Is that a bad thing? We have saved lives through medicine.

I don't know if that was a perfect analogy, but we have done many things with computers that we couldn't before. It may make us more lazier, but it just helps us to do things with more ease.

However, there is still an extent to where you have spent so much time on a computer that you might be wasting your life a little bit. I don't think that happens too often though. So they do more good than bad.

Tobisper
Tobisper
407 posts
Nomad

practically yes we depend on computers as communication,entertainment,information,jobs,etc.
It's a century of technology.

murasaki9
murasaki9
1,388 posts
Blacksmith

I think we are. Most of my friends are online. I depend on my news, my entertainment and everything from my computer.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,745 posts
King

Oh, I'm confident that we are dependant on computer way too much nowadays! (sounds weird to be confident about that, but 'eh) I experienced it myself lately when we had a problem with our computer at work and it is in the shop now for a few days... you can't believe how many times I wanted to go to the computer to either look something up, check something or make something in a word or excel document!

Turns out that a computer is a valuable yet fragile part of our current economy I guess! What if it breaks down? (o.O)

budokai1694
budokai1694
255 posts
Peasant

dependent? well not really.. i can function without using a computer but what would u be suggesting that we stop using technology?

derp3101
derp3101
171 posts
Peasant

Most people usually just spend time on their cellphones.Maybe college students usually spend time on their computers to write essays and stuff.......they could be dependent.If your addicted to MINECRAFTVthen you could be dependent.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Dependent as in I have my games, music, TV, books, do my video editing, work, create art on my computer, I'd say yes.
What happens when the power goes out and the Internet is down?
:O!!!!!!!
Well, I can always ride my bike or read a real book or an e-book on my Kindle. xD

WarriorOfOld
WarriorOfOld
14 posts
Peasant

I see it as opinion...I mean, lots of reasons to use the computer but lots of people like to play video games on the computer. Some people might even think it's stupid and pointless, but I see that as an ignorant statement unless they've actually tried video games ect. Personally, I see the Computer as a temporary break from my life, an actual place where I can be with people I know on the internet, and I'd respect if I knew them in real life. Again, I think it's all opinion. To me, it matters what you do on the computer, not the actual purpose of a computer. Some people see computers differently than others, though.

Koru7
Koru7
1,405 posts
Nomad

Dependent, no. obsessed and spend too much time on it, yes. I think at some point in the future, the next generation of parents won't think anything of it and won't really care unless the hippie gene traveled all the way down to them.

Jblaze101
Jblaze101
512 posts
Peasant

Im on my laptop so much i might as well die on it lol jk

Showing 76-90 of 100