ForumsThe Tavern[April Fools 2011] Mod firin' lazers chatterbox

423 75004
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

As some of you may have heard, armor games is firing a moderator. Since you're not allowed to have any discussion on the forum i guess post any opinions on the matter here.

The firing thread
https://armorgames.com/community/thread/7293378/announcement-firing-a-mod

• 423 Replies
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Does anyone notice Mod filleting discussion? Who did that

I was wondering the same thing.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,677 posts
Peasant

Go back a page or two..... I declared my love for the one that did that.....

Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

...are you saying all we do is delete spam?

nope. the mods that are present in their respective forums of choice actively shape and guide the flow of thinking of all the kiddies they talk to that pay attention. Seeing the title "mod" automatically makes the viewer come to attention and regard the mod's post w/ more attention than the normal people... (atleast its like a reflexive thing in the beginning whether or you phase it out of your system or not. ) tis why a mod needs to more than just a spam eater... whether we like it or not... you have the potential to influence individuals of the userbase just b/c of what you are. The internets is just as influential as the real world. People say mod is just a title... true... but its a title that is given to individuals that have shown/proven themselves to be some combination of intelligent, hard working, fair, unbiased, and respectable. Tis why the removal of one or more is somewhat significant... as I said b4... forcible status reduction can potentially have the person leave altogether.

proper replacements for that kind of person don't just grow like cybamen... (dbz )
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ77BxdlvJCX5miWeOClhHe978RmiXRDVppTYmsHo4Qr6AkGxcNVQ

...but maybe I'm over glorifying/romanticizing things... I do that alot :-/

did you think I was belittling you?
Ghgt99
Ghgt99
1,890 posts
Nomad

You find someone who is willing to sit for 2-4 straight hours of going through 10000-20000 comments reading and deleting at least three times a week for a year without pay and see if he's still as interested in going through the comments.

I would, but I have a horrible lack of patience. I couldn't do it for more then 1 hour thrice a week. I will start doing that now though.

Because if one of the mods gets fired, then the amount of spam will rise,because they clean up at least some spam. So it is good to flag to help while they are choosing a new mod, but after that too.
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

We do still have to do our certain tasks no matter the situation at hand.

That means moderating the site like before.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,821 posts
Shepherd

New title totally killed it.

Legion1350
Legion1350
5,365 posts
Nomad

Eh. . with AG3 I suppose it won't matter since it'll be basically user control.

I didn't read anything about AGv3 being under user control... Do you think you could post a link, Matrix?

Which is why we need to scam teenagers in to thinking it counts as work experience for their resume'

Yeah! I say we finally put them into labor! Even though we're tricking them, they'll be learning "life skills"! :P

You find someone who is willing to sit for 2-4 straight hours of going through 10000-20000 comments reading and deleting at least three times a week for a year without pay and see if he's still as interested in going through the comments.

[quote=Ghgt99]I would, but I have a horrible lack of patience. I couldn't do it for more then 1 hour thrice a week.[/quote]

I have to agree with Ghgt99. I couldn't do it for 2 - 4 hours. More likely, I think I could do 1 - 2.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

I didn't read anything about AGv3 being under user control... Do you think you could post a link, Matrix?

The voting thread in the Support and Suggestions Forum. And also read Gantic's comment on Efan's profile he made a few days ago.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

I have to agree with Ghgt99. I couldn't do it for 2 - 4 hours. More likely, I think I could do 1 - 2.

I could probably pull it off, I'm on enough. But like I said I've likely already been rejected as a candidate.
cormyn
cormyn
2,891 posts
Nomad

what cormyn was saying w/ the whole "I'm tired of picking up the slack" thing... 7 really active people can do it.

Yeah, they *could*, but *aren't* ... so I end up writing software like the spam killer bot, etc., because they're not on the site enough doing what they signed up to volunteer to do.

And then I have to play referee when a Mod wants someone perma-banned and listen to them all bicker about "but they're my friend, my vote is just a tempban" blah blah blah.
cormyn
cormyn
2,891 posts
Nomad

I didn't read anything about AGv3 being under user control.

summary:
- like/dislike buttons
- blocking users from contacting you
- private inboxes
- reputation system to mark spammers
- more...
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

I could probably pull it off, I'm on enough. But like I said I've likely already been rejected as a candidate.

Framl and I flag comments whenever we play a game or find nasty posts in the forums, which to be honest declined a bit since I went on my journey, but this is hardly the work of a mod. This isn't tough at all--it's just tedious. The hard work is user-to-user diplomacy (I saw this once); that takes hard communication skills to pull off successfully.

I particularly like the blocking user system, though in one perspective it sounds like throwing dirt under the rug. Can't wait to use the +/- buttons!
gaboloth
gaboloth
1,612 posts
Peasant

what cormyn was saying w/ the whole "I'm tired of picking up the slack" thing... 7 really active people can do it.

Yeah, they *could*, but *aren't* ... so I end up writing software like the spam killer bot, etc., because they're not on the site enough doing what they signed up to volunteer to do.

I'm going to be annoying, but why do you want a team of 6 mods then? I don't think it will help. Maybe get a larger team, and they will do more work....? And why do you need to hurt their feelings demodding one? If he's not much active he won't do much bad either. He will just sit there...
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

If he's not much active he won't do much bad either. He will just sit there...

Well, we did that, but that's beside the point lol

I'm going to be annoying, but why do you want a team of 6 mods then?

Ian said, since AG3 employs more &quotower" to the commonpeople, there will be less need for mods.

Maybe get a larger team, and they will do more work....?

Doesn't more mods mean less work?
gaboloth
gaboloth
1,612 posts
Peasant

Doesn't more mods mean less work?

Lol. I was meaning, more work in general. Obviously it's less work for each one. But more if you sum every mod's work together.
Showing 256-270 of 423