ForumsGamesTerraria

142 50936
Dracolich
Dracolich
79 posts
Nomad

Only a few people have this and it is not released yet!

It was given to them because they are experts in Minecraft and plus they are famous in Youtube but there is one person who isn't famous, He got it because he sent a letter to Redigit(Project Lead)

Probably it is cheaper than Minecraft.
Can't wait for Terraria to be released!

• 142 Replies
Microe
Microe
842 posts
Nomad

WOW....REALLY? This is minecraft from a side view...Terraria game developers, quit, now.

xNightwish
xNightwish
1,608 posts
Nomad

it doens't look like minecraft it look's like mapplestory

wizardtrain187
wizardtrain187
22 posts
Nomad

I saw this game and was pretty excited about it. It does resemble Minecraft from a side scroller perspective, but combat is a much larger focus. I can see this getting a ton of attention as long as Minecraft comparisons are light as the games are vaguely similar but the mechanics are way different.

CrimsonVamp
CrimsonVamp
93 posts
Peasant

I like it, thanks for the link.

Making a game in 2D is often a wise choice for an indie game developer. This is one of those cases. It has the potential to become actually better than Minecraft.

We shall see.

LEAPretard
LEAPretard
1,328 posts
Nomad

I like it, thanks for the link.

Making a game in 2D is often a wise choice for an indie game developer. This is one of those cases. It has the potential to become actually better than Minecraft.

We shall see.

You dont understand, they are different.

Oh well, ill be building a Castle while you can go fight slimes -.-
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Uh yeah...it's a 2D spin off of Minecraft that looks really uninteresting if you actually have Minecraft. Sorry.

Muse2223
Muse2223
372 posts
Nomad

How can you even say that, Kasic?

The only thing it has in common with Minecraft is that you build things, create things, and fight things, which are common in tons of games.

From the way it is now, it's already looking a lot better than Minecraft, in the sense that there's tons more endgame content (such as the bosses shown in the trailer)

MalKeshar
MalKeshar
108 posts
Jester

Lol, Minecraft, the original, wasn't that great. Why would someone want to copy it?

Muse2223
Muse2223
372 posts
Nomad

Lol, Minecraft, the original, wasn't that great. Why would someone want to copy it?

Maybe it's that whole "boatload-a cash" for one indie developer thing.

Minecraft's a good game, it just lacks content. Terraria definitely seems to have a lot more to do.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

The only thing it has in common with Minecraft is that you build things, create things, and fight things, which are common in tons of games.

It has the same items. The character looks the same. The blocks are all the same, just 2D and crappier looking. Only the monsters are different, and a few new items. How is it *not* a very obvious spin off.
Muse2223
Muse2223
372 posts
Nomad

It has the same items

You mean...

A sword? A chair? A bow? Pickaxe, axe, etc? Are you implying these were made in Minecraft?

The character looks the same.

Sprites =/= 3d models

The characters you see in the game (the one the player controls, that is) are going to change upon release anyway.

The blocks are all the same

Refer to my first response.

just 2D

Not necessarily bad.

crappier looking

Up for debate.

few new items

Tons.

How is it *not* a very obvious spin off.

As I've said, more items, and a real reason to build awesome fortresses. There's also the blighted* ground, more enemies, real bosses, and a much larger focus on combat.

* Can't remember what it was called
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

Sprites =/= 3d models

Sprites CAN imply "3d models". a sprite is a non-static, variable object, be it 2d or 3d.

So... Terraria played a Lucas Arts maneuver on Minecraft. "Find a popular game, figure out what it lacks and can do better with, and frame a new game with the results". It's a really big middle finger to Notch and those who like Minecraft, you know? It's really sad how they cannot come up with a concept on their own.

Let's not forget that Minecraft is not finished. Anything pointed to Minecraft as a "flaw" cannot be relevant because it is a Beta. Like how it is with AG3, what you see and experience may not be there in the end.
Muse2223
Muse2223
372 posts
Nomad

Sprites CAN imply "3d models". a sprite is a non-static, variable object, be it 2d or 3d.

Got me there.

So... Terraria played a Lucas Arts maneuver on Minecraft. "Find a popular game, figure out what it lacks and can do better with, and frame a new game with the results". It's a really big middle finger to Notch and those who like Minecraft, you know? It's really sad how they cannot come up with a concept on their own.

Let's not forget that MineCraft is not an original concept either, and was done much earlier.

Also, just because it's in beta doesn't make it perfect or exempt of critique. MineCraft is, IMO, a mediocre game, but Terraria seems to improve upon it in every way I can see.

Lastly, Terraria isn't out yet, so I trust you'd apply the same logic to it?
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

Let's not forget that MineCraft is not an original concept either, and was done much earlier.

Infiniminer is nothing like Minecraft, save for digging holes in the ground and collecting ore. There are plenty of games that can do that. It is nothing like Minecraft's sandbox concept. Dwarf Fortress and RubyDung are from Notch himself.

Also, just because it's in beta doesn't make it perfect or exempt of critique. MineCraft is, IMO, a mediocre game, but Terraria seems to improve upon it in every way I can see.

So they pulled a Lucas Arts maneuver, as I said.

Lastly, Terraria isn't out yet, so I trust you'd apply the same logic to it?

It doesn't exempt it from adopting Minecraft elements.
Muse2223
Muse2223
372 posts
Nomad

Infiniminer is nothing like Minecraft, save for digging holes in the ground and collecting ore. There are plenty of games that can do that. It is nothing like Minecraft's sandbox concept. Dwarf Fortress and RubyDung are from Notch himself.

Attempt to rationalize it all you want, but MineCraft is based upon Infiniminer. The concept of a first person mining game (in this context) belongs to Infiniminer. The very gimmick of mining blocks and placing them belongs to Infiniminer.

It doesn't exempt it from adopting Minecraft elements.

Of course it does! It's not out yet so every "flaw" cannot be relevant.
Showing 1-15 of 142