ForumsGamesTerraria

142 50940
Dracolich
Dracolich
79 posts
Nomad

Only a few people have this and it is not released yet!

It was given to them because they are experts in Minecraft and plus they are famous in Youtube but there is one person who isn't famous, He got it because he sent a letter to Redigit(Project Lead)

Probably it is cheaper than Minecraft.
Can't wait for Terraria to be released!

• 142 Replies
SirNoobalot
SirNoobalot
22,207 posts
Nomad

I'm not completely shallow when it comes to video games, but I tend to prefer 3d over 2d. There are quite a number of amazing 2d games, but based on the video on the site and going through youtube, I'm not impressed, really. Reminds me of a 1-player game made by Jagex (The name escapes me, but 'tis very fun when a member) fused with minecraft....

Also, how can you be considered 'good' at minecraft? IT all biols down to popularity, how much knowledge you've soaked up, your creativity, and ow much time you have onj your hands ( and I can tell some people on Youtube really have WAY too much ;D)

pratchu
pratchu
493 posts
Nomad

well, everyone is making stuff like minecraft now. check out fortresscraft on xbox. its pretty good.

but this thing like minecraft...does it work on laptops?

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

That pretty much right there shows it's not about survival, it's about doing what you want.

It's survival, not only from being dropped into a hostile environment, but also from the fact that you have to earn what you want as an item. It's not Creative Mode where everything is given to you and nothing able to harm you--there are mobs able to harm you and you start off with nothing. Survival is not just about the mobs, bud.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

It's survival, not only from being dropped into a hostile environment, but also from the fact that you have to earn what you want as an item. It's not Creative Mode where everything is given to you and nothing able to harm you--there are mobs able to harm you and you start off with nothing. Survival is not just about the mobs, bud.

I build but I don't play creative mode, however, there are only a few things in the game that can harm you. Falling, haviing sand/gravel fall on you, mobs, drowning, lava, and fire. The most dangerous thing in the game i'd say is if you're mining and you hit lava, you can die if you aren't quick. Mobs are weak, a bow can kill any mob w/o you taking dmg. It's not really "survival" because if you die you just respawn and that's that. If it was "survival" if you died once it would mean you lose.
SirNoobalot
SirNoobalot
22,207 posts
Nomad

You also have to consider the various game modes in development for Minecraft at this moment.... Adventure, Zombie, I believe another one I don't fully remember, they're definitely going to change the face of Minecraft upon release.

Microe
Microe
842 posts
Nomad

SirNoobalot's point counts and can't be defeated. All hope is lost, he wins.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

I build but I don't play creative mode, however, there are only a few things in the game that can harm you. Falling, haviing sand/gravel fall on you, mobs, drowning, lava, and fire. The most dangerous thing in the game i'd say is if you're mining and you hit lava, you can die if you aren't quick. Mobs are weak, a bow can kill any mob w/o you taking dmg. It's not really "survival" because if you die you just respawn and that's that. If it was "survival" if you died once it would mean you lose.

Notch is planning Hardcore mode in the future. Not only that, but hey, what you just described sounds like something very familiar. SURVIVAL.

Other than that, it would be REALLY nasty for you to die once, on mistake, and then lose the entire map that you slaved to build. I don't know a thing about Terraria, but I'm pretty sure you don't die just once and have to restart from the beginning and lose all your stuff, unless there's a specific mode for that.
hoyo013
hoyo013
8 posts
Shepherd

it s like minecraft 2d

wanna join beta test !
give!

SirNoobalot
SirNoobalot
22,207 posts
Nomad

That sounded like sarcasm....

Survival mode isn't all about surviving, it just puts the player in a more realistic environment than creative mode and makes you work for what you have.

And if you think Minecraft's mobs are easy? From the get-go, play on hard and don't use a bow for at least 5 in-game days, then tell me how it was.

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

And if you think Minecraft's mobs are easy? From the get-go, play on hard and don't use a bow for at least 5 in-game days, then tell me how it was.

Done that. It's not advisable to go out without a sword and armor, but you still shouldn't die because you can easily just set up a temp home where ever you go or head back to your main home at night. I did your 5 day challenge, did not die once, fought 3 spiders unarmed/no food the 2nd morning at the same time, lived with 3 hearts left, and got ambushed by a creeper once while mining and took 1/2 of a heart after knocking it away right before it blew up. Again, not hard. Hard just makes stuff do 50% more (from doing 1 heart to 1 1/2) and makes there be more monsters, other than that, same thing. Making a weak mob 50% stronger doesn't change much. I think animals spawn less, but doesn't matter, if you place torches all over one area then at night all animals spawn there, and in the morning you can get all the drops.
SirNoobalot
SirNoobalot
22,207 posts
Nomad

Survival. Tell me how that does not fit a reasonable description of a 'survival' mode.

blackjack117200
blackjack117200
1 posts
Nomad

IT IS NOTHING LIKE MINECRAFT
Most of you guys are being ignorant.

Sonnas
Sonnas
1 posts
Nomad

I'm not even going to comment on someones post. I'm just a basic neutral party.
I've been watching Youtube videos for about 3 days now on both Terraria and Minecraft, the videos made by PaperBatVG (or PBat) his videos are long, and legit. Most of all doesn't really skip anything out of videos. He has at least 25 videos on Terraria and about 20 videos on Minecraft. But i heard of Terraria from a group of friends they said for me to check it out and we might all get it. Then i watched the videos and first thing i hear is its a rip-off of Minecraft. (Most rip-offs that ive played actually turned out being better) So i decided to check out minecraft first.

I will say now, i felt bored.... no excitement, more of... i can't think of the word at the moment but im going with curios. The movement of the 3D worlds doesnt seem that much more fun. because personally if there is going to be a 3D world... at least make the characters that you play look like they actually move like they were 3D instead of making them look like they are in a 3D world with 2D movements.

Minecraft would have been better as a 2D side scroller, because there wouldn't be any disappointment in it that way. Anyone who is in the same boat right now would agree. As a 3D game Minecraft looks disappointing. As a 2D game Terraria looks perfect.

The first person compared to (i dont really know the name of it) overview, graphics actually feel like they would have a lot to do with why i see Minecraft not being as good as Terraria. What does anyone look for in a 2D game? They aren't looking for detail, that's for sure. But in a 3D game people look for something that looks a lot better than Doom. Comparing graphics right there, you took a picture from Doom and stretched the paper thin crap into fat crap.

Items, man i've heard a good earful of this so far. "Terraria Ripped the items, how they work and how they look" People are complaining about a picture, there is no argument there it's a picture and when a picture looks as close as you can make it to the real thing, who the heck cares? You use what you have at your disposal. Terraria said to be this ripoff has more. I saw a comment saying that Minecraft is as big as 1/3 of the actual worlds surface, the in game world is that big that is. I don't think i want to look at square blocks that i drew back in 4th grade for 2+ months.

The only thing i thought that was awesome in Minecraft. The houses were awesome. But that was the only thing that impressed me in this game and will admit it passes Terrarias building by miles and miles and miles. But again, thats the only thing i would look forward to doing on Minecraft. But I'm very sorry to be this harsh, I bought Sims 3 for a reason.

I can find games ive played were Minecraft is just a downgrade of. I can safely say Sims was the number one thing in my head.

Terraria, building is quick, simple, easy. Fighting, it is involved with everything besides building. Which gives excitement to everything you do in the game. You want to see more of one ore dig deeper, the deeper you go the harder things get.

I saw another comment saying that while digging it was exciting to do it, and possibly land in lava or hit a cave and drop. Terraria has it. But at least in Terraria you dont just fall and die and thats that. You worry more that somethings going to hit you in/down on top of just falling.

This is almost the last thing im going to say. People don't care about ripoffs unless they are not open minded, or in other words stubborn. They care about how good the game is none the less, weather it be better than what they ripped from or crappy they just dont care. They want to .... i forgot what its called but all im seeing is arguments on forums about what the word really means. That's right everyone you just want to have fun playing a game. More than 95% of people playing these games don't read your crap. Why? They don't care. If the creators of the game want to know what people think, they would be smart and post 1 online survey every so often. Asking what they want to know. So stop the arguing about who ripped who who is better.

No one wants to know technical crap, they want to know if the game is good. So what's a good idea? Oh what does it matter? No one will stop because no one is open minded when they are the people arguing on a forum. You just think what you know is right.

Either you can accept that Terraria isn't a rip.
Or you can go on saying it is.

Either way when you ask yourself those questions. you'll find out which category you fall under in the forums.

Microe
Microe
842 posts
Nomad

Im actually starting to switch notes here and im waiting for it to come out. Its starting to sink into my head

Gstroy
Gstroy
482 posts
Nomad

Hey look! A crappy 2D knockoff of Minecraft!

Showing 31-45 of 142