ForumsGamesTerraria

142 50943
Dracolich
Dracolich
79 posts
Nomad

Only a few people have this and it is not released yet!

It was given to them because they are experts in Minecraft and plus they are famous in Youtube but there is one person who isn't famous, He got it because he sent a letter to Redigit(Project Lead)

Probably it is cheaper than Minecraft.
Can't wait for Terraria to be released!

• 142 Replies
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

IMO, a mediocre game, but Terraria seems to improve upon it in every way I can see.

Forgive me, but, how in any way can going 2D from a 3D game improve it. All it does is limit the area you can play in three fold. It looks like the same game to me with a few new items (Many items in Terraria are already found in Minecraft mods), and copies it down to the same images for nearly every item.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

Of course it does! It's not out yet so every "flaw" cannot be relevant.

Do not be cheeky with me in switching my comments, okay? If you are naming an adoption of Minecraft elements as a flaw, then Lucas Arts is the most-flawed software corporation in existence. It doesn't work like that, I'm afraid. Terraria has just taken Minecraft and apply extra methods, variables, sprites, and game mechanics to make it superior to Minecraft, aka a Lucas Arts maneuver. This is not a flaw-- this can be considered plagiarism of software. So what does that make Minecraft in comparison to Infiniminer? Nothing. Infiniminer is not a sandbox survival/creative game--it is a strategic multiplayer competitive game. Digging into the ground to find ore cannot possibly be "owned" by any game, because it is too general. Many games do this.

However, when you apply MANY methods and concepts into one game that resembles another, well, that is another story--few games contain many of another's gameplay. Terraria could belong in Lucas Arts corporation if it wanted to, because the developers think alike.
Muse2223
Muse2223
372 posts
Nomad

Forgive me, but, how in any way can going 2D from a 3D game improve it.

I never said that. Just sayin' that it's not necessarily a bad thing.

All it does is limit the area you can play in three fold.

Wat

A 2d game can have just as much area as a 3d game.

It looks like the same game to me with a few new items (Many items in Terraria are already found in Minecraft mods)

You continue to not read the points I've made
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

Forgive me, but, how in any way can going 2D from a 3D game improve it.

Being 3-D does not make a game better than a game that is 2D. Graphics and interfaces do not make a game.

No, it just limits the playing view.
Muse2223
Muse2223
372 posts
Nomad

Allow me to take this time to totally refute everything in your post up there, Freak, since there's really no point going after your individual points when I can just play it safe with your own words.

Anything pointed to Terraria as a "flaw" cannot be relevant because it is an Alpha.

Plagiarism's a flaw, by the way.

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

No, it just limits the playing view.

Volume...?
Sure you "could" have the same area as in a 3D game, it would only take an eternity to walk off that same area. In 2D, you can go left, right, up, and down. In 3D, you have a whole other coordinate making it have "Much" more area in the same walking distance.

Anything pointed to Terraria as a "flaw" cannot be relevant because it is an Alpha.

I think you misunderstand me. In no way do I think Terraria is a bad game, one, it is too early to tell, and two, it already does not look bad. However, I do not see how it could be better than Minecraft, as it is still devloping as well, in more than one direction via mods and plugins. I'm sure Terraria will end up being a decent game, but it's like opting for the lesser version of it. Look at it this way. What can you build in Terraria. You are limited to just a flat look. In Minecraft, building is ever so much more possible. Mining is different from a first person view with rock all around you, as opposed to a 2D side scroller.

Here's another way to think of the area. In Terraria, is it possible to get lost? No. You just go back the way you came and you'll get home. Minecraft has so many more possibilities, so much more so that you could actually get lost if you have a bad sense of direction or do not place markers if you need them.

I also agree that graphics do not make a game better, it's the gameplay. Minecraft's gameplay will always have many more possibilities simply because it is not limited to a 2D side scroller.
Muse2223
Muse2223
372 posts
Nomad

I think you misunderstand me. In no way do I think Terraria is a bad game, one, it is too early to tell, and two, it already does not look bad.

Oh, no, that quote was for Freak.

could be better than Minecraft

It's obviously more combat focused. If you prefer combat over building, chances are Terraria will be the more favorable game.

What can you build in Terraria. You are limited to just a flat look. In Minecraft, building is ever so much more possible

Terraria is clearly not building focused. I really have no idea why you keep comparing it to Minecraft in that regard.

Minecraft has so many more possibilities

If you enjoy building more than combat.

so much more so that you could actually get lost if you have a bad sense of direction or do not place markers if you need them.

Getting lost doesn't sound like a very fun gameplay feature

I also agree that graphics do not make a game better, it's the gameplay. Minecraft's gameplay will always have many more possibilities simply because it is not limited to a 2D side scroller.

Just because it's in 3D doesn't mean it has more gameplay features. Being able to move forward and back doesn't suddenly make the game some divine gift from God with every feature known to man. However the developers decide to throw in the features are what will make the features, not the graphics.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Getting lost doesn't sound like a very fun gameplay feature

Lol the point is, that's how much there is to Minecraft. All the different terrain, caves, areas, cliffs, rivers, etc.

Just because it's in 3D doesn't mean it has more gameplay features.

It means it has a whole other dimension of gameplay to capitalize on that Terraia simply can't, and can still do whatever is in Terraria.
GrimsleyTheGrim
GrimsleyTheGrim
14 posts
Nomad

Considering my computer absolutely SUCKS, I can't run Minecraft without it being a lag fest (7FPS). I foresee myself playing this in the future.

And as it being a rip off of Minecraft...Who cares. All that matters is that a game is fun and has what fans want. They didnt directly steal an idea, there have been games with the same ideas before.

Muse2223
Muse2223
372 posts
Nomad

Lol the point is, that's how much there is to Minecraft. All the different terrain, caves, areas, cliffs, rivers, etc.

All of this, minus the rivers(?) and steep cliffs(?) are still in Terraria. You're not really losing a whole lot.

It means it has a whole other dimension of gameplay to capitalize on that Terraia simply can't, and can still do whatever is in Terraria.

Like what?
SpazAttackerz
SpazAttackerz
70 posts
Nomad

Like what?

Like not knowing what is beneath you, digging straight down in Minecraft is a huge risk, as you might fall into a huge cavern and die, or burn to death from lava. In Terraria, I believe you can see items or other various things in the ground beneath you, thus the disadvantage to the game.

You might say, why would you want to die from digging down? This adds the excitement that Minecraft brings to the game, which Terraria might never be able to achieve. This is just one example of how 3D, in Minecraft's case, makes the game better.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Like what?

Well the most obvious example is one you already said. Fighting v building. 2Ds are commonly fighting. However, if Notch wanted to, he could make fighting more apart of the game. It would be better, enemies could come from all around, not just 4 directions. You have more control in how to move, more interaction with the terrain while fighting. You also can do building that simply cannot be done in Terraria. You are never going to see awesome pictures of massive buildings and towns from Terraria, but Minecraft has the possibility to do both. I'm not saying it has, atm Minecraft is definitely building focused, however, it is not limited to that, it just does not have it. Terraria has far more limits than Minecraft.
SpazAttackerz
SpazAttackerz
70 posts
Nomad

atm Minecraft is definitely building focused

Sorry, but I would have to disagree. Minecraft, I believe, is about survival. Building will aid in surviving against enemies, as having a well lit structure will keep the baddies out. Also, minecraft is about exploring. Mining will endure you to massive cave systems in which you can find all sorts of wonders to help you survive (and thrive, from Youtube poster Paulsoaresjr). Terraria, I'm sorry, will almost undoubtingly be of no comparison to the amount of area Minecraft has. For those who do not know, the Minecraft world does not end, more and more terrain will appear no matter how far you go. There is a certain point where the game lags to no end, but to reach this point you would have to travel in Minecraft 1/3 of the Earth's (yes, the real Earth) surface area. This is incredible.
Dracolich
Dracolich
79 posts
Nomad

IT'S LIKE MINECRAFT GEEZ.
And I have minecraft.

Yogscast said it's like minecraft/zelda
Paperbat said it's like minecraft
DominicWhite said... None.

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Sorry, but I would have to disagree. Minecraft, I believe, is about survival

Pfft. Not really. There's 4 enemies (out of the nether anyways) a spider, a zombie, a skeleton, and a green thing that goes boom. The only time you're ever in danger from them is if you are bad at the game and don't know how to place torches/left click to smack stuff. The most dangerous is when you're mining and you run into a skele dungeon, other than that, your almost perfectly safe most of the time, save a few random attacks. Plus if you die, you only lose what you're holding, it doesn't reset the map. That pretty much right there shows it's not about survival, it's about doing what you want.
Showing 16-30 of 142