ForumsWEPRReasons to be an Atheist .

660 146847
Sssssnnaakke
Sssssnnaakke
1,036 posts
Scribe

Alright I have been researching theories talking with other Atheists and I have discovered some people who are Atheists but for the wrong reasons like...
1.Settling a score with God because they hate him for (whatever)reasons.
2.Just because.
Some good reasons...
1.There is no evidence.
2.A book written by primitive people is no proof for any God/Gods.
3.Nothing can be omniscient and omnipotent.
Any other reasons can be stated for I am interested in some of your reasons or reasons not to be.

• 660 Replies
TheNameWithNoNumbers
TheNameWithNoNumbers
163 posts
Nomad

Meh. You can't base a group of complete Christian ******** and use them to judge Christians. That's like saying every Jew is greedy.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Meh. You can't base a group of complete Christian ******** and use them to judge Christians. That's like saying every Jew is greedy.

Ah yes. A group, of several million, is large enough to constitute saying religion is bad. Lets take a peek at the bloody history of religion, shalt we? Crusades, Holocausts, discrimination, KKK, random laws against race, random laws against sexual orientation, genocide of Native Americans, Spanish Inquisition, various modern terrorist cells, and the oppression of pretty much every king prior to industrialization. And that is a rather abridged list, just taking a few seconds to think of things on the top of my head. Or are these guys not true Scotsman? Do they not count? Are there not enough? I don't see the issue with my statement.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

Ah yes. A group, of several million, is large enough to constitute saying religion is bad. Lets take a peek at the bloody history of religion, shalt we? Crusades, Holocausts, discrimination, KKK, random laws against race, random laws against sexual orientation, genocide of Native Americans, Spanish Inquisition, various modern terrorist cells, and the oppression of pretty much every king prior to industrialization. And that is a rather abridged list, just taking a few seconds to think of things on the top of my head. Or are these guys not true Scotsman? Do they not count? Are there not enough? I don't see the issue with my statement.

What are you trying to say... I don't get it. But I would like to say that I don't think the crusades have too much to do with current christianity.
Highfire
Highfire
3,025 posts
Nomad

and the oppression of pretty much every king prior to industrialization.

Hundred Years War, King Alfonso and Christian Spain, the first being a war over the hierarchy which was religiously based, and King Alfonso was simply being power hungry.

Bare in mind the genocide of the Native Americans wasn't entirely based on Religion. Moreso greed when it came to the Dakota / Nakota / Lakota tribes - can't remember the exact name, the Black Hills or something... A lot of gold.

You even see religion being used against the Aztecs as Cortéz (Spanish Conquistador) posed as their returned God before waging a war that if I remember correctly, sent him and his fleet running.

And then they came back, where steel and gunpowder outweights cloth and spear quite the bit. :/

- H
Highfire
Highfire
3,025 posts
Nomad

But I would like to say that I don't think the crusades have too much to do with current christianity.

God certainly went out of his way to make sure that the actions apparently under those of him were actually ones he would want.

The Crusades was a religiously sanctioned military forwarding into the Middle East, for power. Religion was the method in keeping face, and a weapon used against the laymen to provide firepower against the "blasphemous" Saladin and the others who wanted to keep the (their) Holy Land.

Whilst I would agree current Christianity isn't the same as back then, I'd like to point out that that isn't through anything to do with God (possibly because he probably isn't real?), but rather how society has changed.

- H
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

What are you trying to say... I don't get it. But I would like to say that I don't think the crusades have too much to do with current christianity.

So you don't get that there are angry men waving AK-47 against people because some guy told them god wanted to? That religion has kept many people in their peasant lives, slaving away at the ground until one day they die horribly, while the king and priests where fat and happy? That people where thrown into ovens on the order of someone else's god? That gay marriage is illegal because some guys said god doesn't like it? That lynch mobs lynched people with the idea that a god was approving? That innocent people where burned as witches, just as god had said? Im still confused.

I am not talking about Christianity, I am talking about all religion. And what can't you see? A group of millions from the same religion working for religious purposes of killing people for worthless land? They are in your religion's history, please elaborate what the confusion is.

And then they came back, where steel and gunpowder outweights cloth and spear quite the bit. :/

Really? I remember it where Cortez was welcomed as a god, let in to the city, and took it over rather easily, forging alliances with enemies of the Aztecs and conquering the nation with about fifty men. I will look it up later.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

I understand the more recent references. What I have troble understanding is why you use refernces from so long ago. Things like salem witch trials, crusades ect... don't accuratly represent a religion as it is now.

Highfire
Highfire
3,025 posts
Nomad

Really? I remember it where Cortez was welcomed as a god, let in to the city, and took it over rather easily, forging alliances with enemies of the Aztecs and conquering the nation with about fifty men. I will look it up later.

Welcomed as a God but dishonest by letting that happen, yes.

As for the rest - that is probably what happened, my memory of what I read is long faded being as it was years ago and the main thing letting this knowledge remain is dwelling over it... :P

No no! You're right. Montezuma was killed by Cortéz when he took over Tenochticlan, and an Eagle Warrior united other warriors to essentially liberate the city.

don't accuratly represent a religion as it is now.

Didn't I already recognize that? ^^
Whilst I would agree current Christianity isn't the same as back then, I'd like to point out that that isn't through anything to do with God (possibly because he probably isn't real?), but rather how society has changed.

- H
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

Didn't I already recognize that? ^^

Well... um. Yes? I just wanted to give a more direct answer if that was ok.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

I understand the more recent references. What I have troble understanding is why you use refernces from so long ago. Things like salem witch trials, crusades ect... don't accuratly represent a religion as it is now.

And why not? The religions where written well before that. The religions go by the same name. The rules are still the same. What is the difference?
Highfire
Highfire
3,025 posts
Nomad

Well... um. Yes? I just wanted to give a more direct answer if that was ok.

No problem ^^ I think it would be better if we shifted this topic to where we talk more about God, and not Christianity itself. It's one of the main reasons old references to religious "behaviour" is a negative thing, because God, if he were real, has made no attempt to define himself to say that those actions were wrong.

- H
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

I still don't understand why the world just cannot have one good religion.

Religion by it's very nature is divergent. It's based not on facts but on subjective matters and blind faith instead of evidence.

They NEVER practice "Love thy Neighbor".

No, there are those who do.

What I have troble understanding is why you use refernces from so long ago. Things like salem witch trials, crusades ect... don't accuratly represent a religion as it is now.

He did say he was going over the religions bloody history.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

The rules are still the same. What is the difference?

The difference is that the rules arn't still the same. There are more, and different denominations. And they have changed over time.

He did say he was going over the religions bloody history.

True. Sorry then 314d1.

No problem ^^ I think it would be better if we shifted this topic to where we talk more about God, and not Christianity itself. It's one of the main reasons old references to religious "behaviour" is a negative thing, because God, if he were real, has made no attempt to define himself to say that those actions were wrong.

Sounds good to me.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

The difference is that the rules arn't still the same. There are more, and different denominations. And they have changed over time.

Are they really all that different? Here, let me check. It still says "Though shalt not suffer a which to live", and as it turns out people still are not suffering a which to live. Christians are still attacking things that go against their beliefs because their religious leaders tell them to. Discrimination is still rife, just look at homosexual marriage. So what exactly has changed?
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

Discrimination against homosexuals is still around but it's not like the crusades all over again. And we're not buring people on crosses anymore either. While there are still religious terrorists it's not as common or okay as before.

Showing 151-165 of 660