ForumsWEPRReasons to be an Atheist .

660 146883
Sssssnnaakke
Sssssnnaakke
1,036 posts
Scribe

Alright I have been researching theories talking with other Atheists and I have discovered some people who are Atheists but for the wrong reasons like...
1.Settling a score with God because they hate him for (whatever)reasons.
2.Just because.
Some good reasons...
1.There is no evidence.
2.A book written by primitive people is no proof for any God/Gods.
3.Nothing can be omniscient and omnipotent.
Any other reasons can be stated for I am interested in some of your reasons or reasons not to be.

• 660 Replies
ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
992 posts
Nomad

God made me an Atheist, who are you to judge his decisions?

partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

i dont believe in god.

congratulations, that is the only requirement to be atheist.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

does atheist mean that you dont believe in god?

Yes it does.

a-; without, not
theist; belief in a god or gods
a-+theist= atheist; without belief in a god or gods.
kingofwar1234
kingofwar1234
603 posts
Peasant

Everyone has their own reason to believe or not believe in god... And i personally respect everyones beliefs and won't provoke them in any way(like that dude who burned the koran) soz i dont get the reason why this thread was made except to make people angry.

partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

soz i dont get the reason why this thread was made except to make people angry.

then i don't see the reason why you brought it back up.
stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

Meh, I'll just post my reasons:

1. It's not logical for God to exist.

2. The Bible is based on people's beliefs.

Those are my reasons.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

1. It's not logical for God to exist.

Can you prove he doesn't exist? It's a non-falsifiable statement.

2. The Bible is based on people's beliefs.

Don't limit yourself to just the Abrahamic Faiths. Science is based on peoples' beliefs before they are proven right (Hypothesis).
stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

Can you prove he doesn't exist? It's a non-falsifiable statement.
*sigh* Alright, I just don't see anything that proves he's real, either. I'm an Atheist, if you don't like it, too bad.
Don't limit yourself to just the Abrahamic Faiths. Science is based on peoples' beliefs before they are proven right (Hypothesis).
True, but like your little chart in the "Heaven is for real" topic, they can't prove what is in there. No one knows if Heaven really exists or not. Atheists don't believe in the Bible or God, end of story. I'm finished with that.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

I'm an Atheist

So am I. Or rather, I'm an Agnostic.

No one knows if Heaven really exists or not.

Hence we can't outrightly disprove it. Just as you claim logic to be your golden standard to measure whether an argument is true or not, since you can't logically prove that God does or does not exist, how are you to believe in Atheism?
stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

Oh, so you believe that the existence of God can't be proven or disproved. Well, here:

Non-Atheists (Or rather, any religion, basically): Believe in the existence of a greater power or hierarchy.

Atheists: Don't believe in the existence of a greater power or hierarchy. Simple as that.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Non-Atheists (Or rather, any religion, basically): Believe in the existence of a greater power or hierarchy.

Atheists: Don't believe in the existence of a greater power or hierarchy. Simple as that.

Yes I know that. It isn't as simple as that, since Agnostics straddle the middle ground. Furthermore, religions such as Buddhism are disputable as religions since Buddhism doesn't have a Supreme Mover as a central tenet.

Rather, my question to you was that, since you cannot provide evidence that God doesn't exist, on what basis do you believe Atheism is logical and the truth? Or do you take it as a leap of faith, by which it goes contrary to your view that logic is vital.
stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

Yes I know that. It isn't as simple as that, since Agnostics straddle the middle ground. Furthermore, religions such as Buddhism are disputable as religions since Buddhism doesn't have a Supreme Mover as a central tenet.

Rather, my question to you was that, since you cannot provide evidence that God doesn't exist, on what basis do you believe Atheism is logical and the truth? Or do you take it as a leap of faith, by which it goes contrary to your view that logic is vital.
Ah, **** it, I just don't believe in God! I don't have any basis, I just freaking don't believe! Fine, if you love it so **** much, I just don't see any sign or proof or **** like that which proves that he exists! Here, you freakin' know what, I take as a leap of faith, even though I don't have any **** faith! There! You freaking happy?
stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

Heh, sorry for swearing so much. I just take a leap of faith, I guess. But, other religions take leaps of faith just believing in them, too. I'm not arguing any more.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Ah, **** it, I just don't believe in God! I don't have any basis, I just freaking don't believe! Fine, if you love it so **** much, I just don't see any sign or proof or **** like that which proves that he exists! Here, you freakin' know what, I take as a leap of faith, even though I don't have any **** faith! There! You freaking happy?

Yes, since it once and for all clarifies how even though atheists claim to have logic on their side, hence reinforcing their claim, the majority of them just use leaps of faith as well which they so zealously laugh at in people who believe in religion.
stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

Yes, since it once and for all clarifies how even though atheists claim to have logic on their side, hence reinforcing their claim, the majority of them just use leaps of faith as well which they so zealously laugh at in people who believe in religion.
I don't zealously laugh at people who believe in religion, whatever the bloody hell that means. Also, you take a leap of faith in believing in whatever you believe in, since I just forgot it, and other religions take a leap of faith just believing in God. There, now I'm seriously done.
Showing 361-375 of 660