ForumsWEPRReasons to be an Atheist .

660 146889
Sssssnnaakke
Sssssnnaakke
1,036 posts
Scribe

Alright I have been researching theories talking with other Atheists and I have discovered some people who are Atheists but for the wrong reasons like...
1.Settling a score with God because they hate him for (whatever)reasons.
2.Just because.
Some good reasons...
1.There is no evidence.
2.A book written by primitive people is no proof for any God/Gods.
3.Nothing can be omniscient and omnipotent.
Any other reasons can be stated for I am interested in some of your reasons or reasons not to be.

• 660 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Also, you take a leap of faith in believing in whatever you believe in, since I just forgot it, and other religions take a leap of faith just believing in God. There, now I'm seriously done.

I don't actually. I'm a huge sceptic, and I don't half believe in what I see or read daily. I neither refute nor propose that God exists. Such a stance requires no leaps of faith, because I'm just floating in the middle.
stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

I don't actually. I'm a huge sceptic, and I don't half believe in what I see or read daily. I neither refute nor propose that God exists. Such a stance requires no leaps of faith, because I'm just floating in the middle.
Well, then, you shouldn't be talking about leaps of faith.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Well, then, you shouldn't be talking about leaps of faith.

Why not? I was merely pointing out that atheists take leaps of faith if they can't provide evidence that God doesn't exist. Whilst I appreciate atheists who can provide rather solid arguments on why God doesn't exist (Mage, hats off), I don't have a high opinion of people who follow atheism mostly because A) They think religions aren't logical, and B) They think it is somehow absurd to believe in a deity.

Also, I don't appreciate you swearing at me. My statement about people laughing zealously at religion, was directed towards the general Forum user, I am sorry if you thought it was personal. It meant that I was just countering atheists who laugh at religious folk for taking leaps of faith, when they did themselves.
stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

Ah. Sorry, I was just mad because of my sister.

I don't have a high opinion of people who follow atheism mostly because A) They think religions aren't logical, and B) They think it is somehow absurd to believe in a deity.
Well, religions just don't seem logical to me. That's all I really was trying to say, I guess.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Well, religions just don't seem logical to me. That's all I really was trying to say, I guess.

That is a perfectly alright stance to take. It's just a bit of advice to read up, develop arguments and learn more about how to support atheism rather than stating ''Religion is not logical'', which does not do justice to the whole argument, nor does it lend credibility to such arguments.
partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

Yes I know that. It isn't as simple as that, since Agnostics straddle the middle ground.

there are always floaters that can't make up their own mind =)

Furthermore, religions such as Buddhism are disputable as religions since Buddhism doesn't have a Supreme Mover as a central tenet.

some buddhists ways do have a supreme mover / creater / GOD
buddhism and hinduism are not 100% atheistic religions.
stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

That is a perfectly alright stance to take. It's just a bit of advice to read up, develop arguments and learn more about how to support atheism rather than stating ''Religion is not logical'', which does not do justice to the whole argument, nor does it lend credibility to such arguments.
Yeah, I'll just post some more reasons here:

1) The world made itself like this. It's pretty cool to think that this world made itself so advanced instead of a God just going "bring" and the world suddenly going into existence. The Big Bang Theory is my closest friend.

2) No wondering why the world has messed up so much and God hasn't stopped it. You'd think God is just lazy or rude because the world is dying, crime is rampant, and politics are going crazy. The world is killing itself, so we know that we can stop it now instead of waiting for "God" to stop it all.

3) No religious boundaries. You don't have to believe in God or be straight or anything else like that. You are in control of your life, no one else. There isn't someone up there pulling the strings of your life.
stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

A really good reason is because there's no scientific evidence that god exists, therefore why the **** should we believe in him? Plus people stated that he does exist; why'd they be right? They haven't got evidence... If there's no proof that god exists, you'd have to be an idiot to think that he is, that's was theists are.

I'm intelligent so I am an atheist
Wow, I'm smart. That's what I've been trying to say. There is no proof, so why believe in him? There is no proof of faries or orcs or mages, so we don't believe in them, but we believe in an even bigger magic that somehow there is a higher force that looks down on all of us and pulls the strings of the world. If there is, he is one mean dude. All this crime and crap, why doesn't he stop it? Oh, right, he doesn't exist.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

I'm intelligent so I am an atheist

I know some theists who are intelligent, sensible people. Generally I'm not too fond of christians either, but I prefer honest theists to arrogant atheists.
stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

The very fact that he doesn't exist seems like a fairly good reason to me to be an atheist
Yeah, me too. It's the truth. Nothing else. The only problem is that some people just can't imagine the world without a god.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

They're not sensible; they're stupid.

Dude -.- you don't even know them. Only shows how arrogant you are. Don't you see you're as biased and full of prejudices than those you critique?
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

I think one of the reasons why people can't imagine a world without a god is that they need goals and meaning (which they could find themselves, but its easier to take another persons meaning)

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

[quote]If there's no proof that the earth is round, you'd have to be an idiot to think that it is[quote]

oh look i quoted you and said exactly what people thought in the past which is wrong :3

just saying that your argument is very simple and has no base.

but i doubt that you came back to give a smart argument

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

1) The world made itself like this. It's pretty cool to think that this world made itself so advanced instead of a God just going "bring" and the world suddenly going into existence. The Big Bang Theory is my closest friend.

Any actual proof that the world somehow ''made'' itself like this? No. You didn't. No one saw it, no one felt it, no recorded evidence.

2) No wondering why the world has messed up so much and God hasn't stopped it. You'd think God is just lazy or rude because the world is dying, crime is rampant, and politics are going crazy. The world is killing itself, so we know that we can stop it now instead of waiting for "God" to stop it all.

Theists claim that God has a Divine Plan, or that life is just to test us. There is no way we can fathom His mind, hence we can't tell what His purpose is. Furthermore, I would think you as an arrogant smhuck if you claim that you can somehow interpret His mind.

3) No religious boundaries. You don't have to believe in God or be straight or anything else like that. You are in control of your life, no one else. There isn't someone up there pulling the strings of your life.

This doesn't proof whether God exists or not. It's the same as saying, you don't need to believe in eating fruits makes you healthy, hence you don't believe in fruits.

Yeah, me too. It's the truth. Nothing else. The only problem is that some people just can't imagine the world without a god.

On the other hand, a theists can so flippantly claim that there is a God because there is. Just like you fail to provide evidence and arguments, he can just so casually claim that God exists.

There is no proof, so why believe in him? There is no proof of faries or orcs or mages, so we don't believe in them, but we believe in an even bigger magic that somehow there is a higher force that looks down on all of us and pulls the strings of the world. If there is, he is one mean dude. All this crime and crap, why doesn't he stop it? Oh, right, he doesn't exist.

And there's also no proof that God doesn't exist. There is only proof to counter the literal meanings of the Bible or Koran or holy texts, but the majority of people don't believe literally in them anymore.

Wow, I'm smart.

Religion is not falsifiable as stated time and time again, but there is certainly one thing you can learn from a theist.

Humility.
stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

^Bloody hell! This is worse than me getting bullied at my school. Here is my reason: I DO NOT believe in God. There. Stop "humiliating" me. I freaking find flaws in your posts and I don't bother with them. Oi! You listening to me?

Showing 376-390 of 660