ForumsWEPRReasons to be an Atheist .

660 146890
Sssssnnaakke
Sssssnnaakke
1,036 posts
Scribe

Alright I have been researching theories talking with other Atheists and I have discovered some people who are Atheists but for the wrong reasons like...
1.Settling a score with God because they hate him for (whatever)reasons.
2.Just because.
Some good reasons...
1.There is no evidence.
2.A book written by primitive people is no proof for any God/Gods.
3.Nothing can be omniscient and omnipotent.
Any other reasons can be stated for I am interested in some of your reasons or reasons not to be.

• 660 Replies
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

Then don't post like you just did.

1. You make claims, you better be showing evidence.

2. You don't berate the other side. Seriously, you left yourself open plenty of times with that post.

3. You don't make false claims true and vice-versa.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

^Bloody hell! This is worse than me getting bullied at my school. Here is my reason: I DO NOT believe in God. There. Stop "humiliating" me. I freaking find flaws in your posts and I don't bother with them. Oi! You listening to me?

Yes it is true I went over the top calling you an arrogant smhuck, so I am sorry for that. BUT, you claiming to be smart and all? Without giving evidence or even a valid argument? That is fair game.

And as far as I know, you haven't pointed out holes in my argument. Point them out. This is a debate.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Anyway, find whatever flaws you want, find evidence to back your arguments up and I will reply later. Time for me lectures.

stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

1. You make claims, you better be showing evidence.
I don't see any "evidence" that God exists, either. They make claims and all they say is that the Bible says so and that stuff. **** it, this is about opinions! Here! I think that God isn't real! There! Now, please, bugger off! I'm about to punch my freakin wall! THERE IS NO GOD! I'm freaking trying to calm myself down but I'm about to pop right through your freaking screen and say boo!

*calms self down after punching wall*

Look, I'm sorry that I fail at posting. It's not my fault.

Here: I don't think God is real because I do not believe that the Bible is the truth. Just that. Okay?
stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

^Got ninja'd. Let's just start the argument over again.

stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

Huh. I can't find any flaws in that, maybe because you're agreeing with me.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Nope that is not okay. Most Christians don't literally believe in the Bible, that's not to say they don't believe in God's existence.

As stated earlier it is perfectly alright to say God doesn't exist. But just saying "I don't believe in the Bible" is a rather weak reason. Have you seen Him? No. But that doesn't prove anything. It is non falsifiable as I have stated so many times.

stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

As stated earlier it is perfectly alright to say God doesn't exist. But just saying "I don't believe in the Bible" is a rather weak reason. Have you seen Him? No. But that doesn't prove anything. It is non falsifiable as I have stated so many times.
Hmm... studying for flaws... **** it! Maybe it's because I haven't taken my depression medication yet. Yeah, here. This you could probably see what I'm trying to say. I am technically "in the middle", but I lean towards the opinion that God isn't real. Ah, it's hard arguing with a person right in the middle.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

But just saying "I don't believe in the Bible" is a rather weak reason.

Yeah. I could say "I don't believe the Civil War happened because the source information and accounts are all opinionated." However, there is evidence that battles took place about 150 years ago. Similar to how artifacts at locations referenced in the Bible are being discovered in archaeological digs. There are some truths in the book, but again, opinionated or biased.
stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

Similar to how artifacts at locations referenced in the Bible are being discovered in archaeological digs. There are some truths in the book, but again, opinionated or biased.
There are some truths in the book, but that only happened because they knew of the artifacts that were there. Still, I don't think that most of the Bible is based on fact.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Arent beliefs and opinions roughly the same thing Jeol? Both atheists and theists take a leap of faith in their opinions/beliefs.

Universalism is just a concept that holds a certain idea is universal. Just as Christians aim not so much to try to stretch their bible for everyone but to adapt to the modern conception of society.

Central to the doctrine of Christianity is that people believe they can gain salvation via Christ. It doesn't entail taking the bible
Literally as a necessary characteristic.

Furthermore Stephen still hasn't given evidence that God doesn't exist other than refuting taking the bible literally which most Christians have alreay done.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Central to the doctrine of Christianity is that people believe they can gain salvation via Christ. It doesn't entail taking the bible
Literally as a necessary characteristic.

Right.

dictionary.com
Christian: of, pertaining to, believing in, or belonging to the religion based on the teachings of Jesus Christ.

God doesn't want to reveal himself, at least not 'till the third coming...

And even then he won't "appear" in a visible form, just as a force, similar to Death in Final Destination. To a theist, the events will be the work of God; to an atheist, the events will be natural occurances.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

In the end, the third coming, it is believed that Christ will ride in on a White Horse, if I remember correctly... It's been a while since I've read the book of Revelation.

That can't be taken literally. The chapter also states that a leapord-like bear-footed lion-mouthed 7-headed 10-horned beast will rise out of the sea.
BoredMartian
BoredMartian
676 posts
Nomad

There are no reasons to be a atheist. Religion is all belief.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

As I mention earlier Jeol, it's non falsifiable. There's no evidence for or against.

And Palpaine, the central tenet I mentioned is one that is generally true for most Chrisitans. The definition that you gave does not contradict it.

Showing 391-405 of 660