ForumsWEPRReasons to be an Atheist .

660 146894
Sssssnnaakke
Sssssnnaakke
1,036 posts
Scribe

Alright I have been researching theories talking with other Atheists and I have discovered some people who are Atheists but for the wrong reasons like...
1.Settling a score with God because they hate him for (whatever)reasons.
2.Just because.
Some good reasons...
1.There is no evidence.
2.A book written by primitive people is no proof for any God/Gods.
3.Nothing can be omniscient and omnipotent.
Any other reasons can be stated for I am interested in some of your reasons or reasons not to be.

• 660 Replies
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

[I would normally quote, but I switched to my phone]

@Joel
I figure Rev. is a big metaphor, considering it was written about a dream. Some believe the dragon thing represents the UN.

@Nichodemus
Yes, I was agreeing with you that being Christian dosen't necessarily mean biblical. I was not attempting to contradict you.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Yes, I was agreeing with you that being Christian dosen't necessarily mean biblical. I was not attempting to contradict you.

Ah alright, must have read it wrongly on my phone too. Sorry mate.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

but I lean towards the opinion that God isn't real. Ah, it's hard arguing with a person right in the middle.

You aren't really in the middle if you believe God doesn't exist. It's not arguing against ME, it's proving YOUR point that God doesn't exist with evidence.

So far, the argument is just me bouncing back your arguments which constitute nothing more than claiming the Bible is false since we have proved that taking it literally is not tenable. And since we have shown that many Christians/religious people don't even literally believe in their own Holy texts, but take God as true, we have refuted that point.

Do you see? You never give actual arguments on why God cannot exist.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

That can't be taken literally. The chapter also states that a leapord-like bear-footed lion-mouthed 7-headed 10-horned beast will rise out of the sea.

Why can't it be taken literally? I see even moderate Christians accepting magical claims from the Bible all the time.

There are no reasons to be a atheist. Religion is all belief.

The reason one is an atheist is because they lack belief in any god. Now there may be further reasons behind why they lack this belief, but really that's all there is to it.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Why can't it be taken literally?

Because unless someone dumps some toxic waste, I doubt a many-headed mamalian chimera will come from the ocean just to attack a lamb.
stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

Do you see? You never give actual arguments on why God cannot exist.
This is about opinion. I don't see how he can exist, because if he does, he is one mean guy. He lets the world go to this, and he's not "testing us". I don't think he is real. End of story.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

This is about opinion. I don't see how he can exist, because if he does, he is one mean guy. He lets the world go to this, and he's not "testing us". I don't think he is real. End of story.

Well, it all depends on what you define as ''mean''. It also depends on how He wants the world to turn out in the end, and that everything, however much it impacts us is just part of His Plan. We can't know for sure.

He lets the world go to this, and he's not "testing us".

And how can you be so sure? For all you know, He ''made'' the world go this way, for us to find solutions instead of lazing around on our bums the whole day. Again, it is impossible to crack open His head and find out what He wants for all of us, and how we fit into the puzzle.

So, in the end, it still just is an opinion of yours that God doesn't exist, without evidence. As mentioned earlier, I am not saying it is a stupid or false stand. I am just pointing out, hopefully for the last time, it is just at the same level as people who believe in God, since there is no evidence.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Because unless someone dumps some toxic waste, I doubt a many-headed mamalian chimera will come from the ocean just to attack a lamb.

Hah. The thing is though, why would God tell people that instead of just saying clearly what he wanted? God is God, this should be no problem. Instead we gets tons of claims of magical happenstance -because- the bible was writted thousands of years ago when people thought the earth was flat, magic was real, and demons took possesion of your soul when you sneezed.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Then why can't we call God some sort of metaphor as well? Why accept one outlandish claim but not another?
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Then why can't we call God some sort of metaphor as well? Why accept one outlandish claim but not another?

I'm fine with calling God a metaphor for the way of the universe or nature.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

I'm fine with calling God a metaphor for the way of the universe or nature.

You may be, but many are not. Also, do you follow any of the laws for Christianity (The commandments for example) or particularly believe in anything the bible claims? I think I remember you stating somewhere that you considered yourself a christian...not sure.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

You may be, but many are not.

That's their choice of beliefs and they have a right to that.
Also, do you follow any of the laws for Christianity (The commandments for example)

You realize those were made as a law code for a large group of former slaves to keep them humble, right? Anyway, I don't murder if that's what you mean. Not because it's a law of God, just because I'm a nonviolent person.

or particularly believe in anything the bible claims?

Not in literal terms, usually. Names, laws, and places are likely factual, but events are often distorted by opinions or beliefs such as attributing everything to God when it can happen naturally. As a metaphor it's fine and somewhat useful. Similar to Grimms'. All the bible really did was say "God sent the doves down to peck out the eyes of Cinderella's stepsisters", but God isn't necessary to convey the morals of the story, just a bit of reinforcement.

I think I remember you stating somewhere that you considered yourself a christian

I said I was raised as one, but am not anymore.
Xia
Xia
8 posts
Shepherd

I believe that people choose a faith for something to believe in. Without something to believe in, there is no driving force in life. Religion helps us keep the moral values of the world good. People who are atheist lack this driving force and do not have as good as moral values as a person who has some faith. Personally i am not that religious but i am catholic and still practice some of their believes in order to keep peace on this earth.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

People who are atheist lack this driving force and do not have as good as moral values as a person who has some faith.

This is one more generalization. Honesty, kindness, care, respect, you don't require religion to teach you those. Religion does, but there are other means to teach us such morals.

Do you see all atheists robbing banks? Killing people? No. As much as I like how religion teaches people to be better beings in general, I don't appreciate it when people of religion try to tell atheists that they are not on par with them morally.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Without something to believe in, there is no driving force in life.

Is life itself not driving enough?

Religion helps us keep the moral values of the world good.

Except for extremists...

People who are atheist lack this driving force and do not have as good as moral values as a person who has some faith.

Depends on who the god(s) is(are) and how believers interpret the source material(s) ex:Holy Crusades, Westboro, Taliban, etc.
Showing 406-420 of 660