ForumsWEPRReasons to be an Atheist .

660 146896
Sssssnnaakke
Sssssnnaakke
1,036 posts
Scribe

Alright I have been researching theories talking with other Atheists and I have discovered some people who are Atheists but for the wrong reasons like...
1.Settling a score with God because they hate him for (whatever)reasons.
2.Just because.
Some good reasons...
1.There is no evidence.
2.A book written by primitive people is no proof for any God/Gods.
3.Nothing can be omniscient and omnipotent.
Any other reasons can be stated for I am interested in some of your reasons or reasons not to be.

• 660 Replies
Alexistigerspice
Alexistigerspice
1,502 posts
Farmer

Oh my goodness. What is the point in everyone trying to get everyone else to see their point of view? Everyone has their own belief, which they are entitled to. Its not right to say that atheists have no drive in life, because thats not necessarily true. Many doctors and other people deeply immersed in science are atheistic, because the logic used to explain how the world was created or how a person that was dying was saved on the operating table contradicts the idea of god stepping in and saving the day. Would anyone say these athiest doctors or scientists have no drive? I doubt it. It takes hard work to do these things and with no driving force I doubt they could have managed.
Every religion or lack thereof has its own ideals and such but in the end, it doesnt really matter. We aren't Hitler, there's no point in persecuting people for their beliefs. I don't see why there should be any need to say "you should be (insert religion or lack of here) because..."
Its pointless.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

We aren't Hitler, there's no point in persecuting people for their beliefs.

Well, some would argue otherwise for certain religions. Take stoning people for adultery in Sharia Law.

Its pointless.

It's not so much converting people, as to see how they justify their beliefs.
Alexistigerspice
Alexistigerspice
1,502 posts
Farmer

Take stoning people for adultery in Sharia Law.

Adultery isn't a belief though. Its more of an action, one they most likely knew was wrong.
It's not so much converting people, as to see how they justify their beliefs.

It may have been a justification for the person that origionally posted this, but for some people its an argument of why they are right and everyone else is wrong.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Adultery isn't a belief though. Its more of an action, one they most likely knew was wrong.

No, my point was that such a religion, i.e Islam justifies stoning people based on religious grounds. To many humanitarians, that is a justification to try and stop such behaviour.

but for some people its an argument of why they are right and everyone else is wrong.

Nothing we can do but try to ease the tension a little and make it objective.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Adultery isn't a belief though.

I think he meant how stoning people to death is kind of bad. Rehab is a bit more civilized.
CabzIndustries
CabzIndustries
35 posts
Nomad

Do you see all atheists robbing banks? Killing people? No.

I think there are many murders committed by people considered "Atheist"
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Which is few than the ratio of people who murder while calling themselves "Christians" in America...
CabzIndustries
CabzIndustries
35 posts
Nomad

Which is few than the ratio of people who murder while calling themselves "Christians" in America...

and this information is coming from where?
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

and this information is coming from where?

Where did your info for many atheist killers come from? Even though people kill people, for the reason of God telling them to or other spirit connotations is worse than out of passion or greed because in the latter, the person accepts responsibility for their crime. The former will not accept responsibility because they claim it was the will of God, and since God's perfect, no one was at fault.

It's not hard to find religious killings caused purely by misguided beliefs, such as choking a toddler to death during an exorcism here.
stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

^Thank you.

And, hurtful!
notataco
notataco
189 posts
Nomad

I cant help but notice everyone having some discussions over who is right lol. Im a believer in god but lets be real for a second, if anyone wants to be athiest its pretty **** understandable why and nothing wrong with that. If someone doesnt believe or hates it whatever its them. And yeah EmperorPalpatine is right, loads of people die due to religous complications. People also die from hundreds of other reasons because everything has its flaws. We are humans...

sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

Since I'm extremely lazy, I shall answer only to the thread name:

I myself am atheist because a few years back, before my mother died, I was in school doing what I usually do. And then I got a phone call from my crying dad and he said "Son, your mother is not feeling well, she needs you as soon as possible". As soon as the call ended, I went back to Serbia to see what's wrong.
My mother was diagnosed with severe lung cancer, and the doctors said he wasn't expecting her to live for much longer. I was still Christian then, and that's the only time in my 19 years of life I ever prayed. I prayed that my mother lived at least 1 month. That's all I asked of God. My mother died in 2 weeks notice. I have talked to many pastors and what-not before my mother died, and they all said my prayers will come true. Had it? Nope.

My dad was always atheist, he resented religion. He talked to me on the night my mother died, and he told me that religion is a bunch of *insert very offensive swear words here*. That's my reason for not believing. Also, when I started going to college, I started thinking a little more rationally and came to the conclusion that my former beliefs were vague and very stupid.

CabzIndustries
CabzIndustries
35 posts
Nomad

Where did your info for many atheist killers come from?

I was just simply stating that here are many people who kill people everyday and probability has it that alot of them would be athiest
stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

I was just simply stating that here are many people who kill people everyday and probability has it that alot of them would be athiest
He's stating that there are many people who kill everyday, and since lots of the population is Christian, probability is that most of them are Christian, not including religous killings.
partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

why you think that?
there are only a small amount of atheists in the world compared to people that follow a religion (according to this map)

and there is no reason to say that most murders etc. are done by atheists. not whitout proof.
Showing 421-435 of 660