ForumsWEPRReasons to be an Atheist .

660 146877
Sssssnnaakke
Sssssnnaakke
1,036 posts
Scribe

Alright I have been researching theories talking with other Atheists and I have discovered some people who are Atheists but for the wrong reasons like...
1.Settling a score with God because they hate him for (whatever)reasons.
2.Just because.
Some good reasons...
1.There is no evidence.
2.A book written by primitive people is no proof for any God/Gods.
3.Nothing can be omniscient and omnipotent.
Any other reasons can be stated for I am interested in some of your reasons or reasons not to be.

• 660 Replies
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,826 posts
Duke

There's a Christian calendar? I wasn't informed of this notion.

Well, here is a link to the Wikipedia page, which is good enough. Have you really never thought about why our calendar is based around the supposed time of Jesus' birth? Or the abbreviations B.C. and A.D.? B.C. is Before Christ and A.D. is Anno Domini (Latin for 'in the year of our lord).
stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

Hmm. I should learn stuff more...

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,826 posts
Duke

Just out of curiosity, wouldn't the Christian week start on a Monday instead of a Sunday? Since Sunday is generally accepted by Christians as the seventh day, unless I'm wrong.

That's a really good question. I did some looking, and I don't have a definite answer. But I think this might be a reasonable response.
Early Jews (who were the first ones to adopt a 7-day calendar) celebrated the Sabbath on a Saturday, and still do. I imagine that it has something to do with this early tradition, since Christianity sprang from Judaism.
But I do know that not all western calendars start the week on Sunday. Some countries start on Monday. So it may not even be a Christian thing.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

That's a really good question. I did some looking, and I don't have a definite answer. But I think this might be a reasonable response.
Early Jews (who were the first ones to adopt a 7-day calendar) celebrated the Sabbath on a Saturday, and still do. I imagine that it has something to do with this early tradition, since Christianity sprang from Judaism.
But I do know that not all western calendars start the week on Sunday. Some countries start on Monday. So it may not even be a Christian thing.

It has been speculated that the significance of Sunday was originally a Pagan belief that was integrated into Christianity.
firedragon64
firedragon64
159 posts
Nomad

Well the christians did have a war with the muslims... and many people died... that should account for something

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

It has been speculated that the significance of Sunday was originally a Pagan belief that was integrated into Christianity.

That's not the only thing they integrated into their religion. Wasn't there an account of the great flood in the Epic of Gilgamesh?
I haven't read it in a long time so I forgot most of it.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Okay I found it:
Tablet 11: "Gilgamesh observes that Utnapishtim seems no different from himself, and asks him how he obtained his immortality. Utnapishtim explains that the gods decided to send a great flood. To save Utnapishtim the god Ea told him to build a boat. He gave him precise dimensions, and it was sealed with pitch and bitumen. His entire family went aboard, together with his craftsmen and 'all the animals of the field'. A violent storm then arose which caused the terrified gods to retreat to the heavens. Ishtar lamented the wholesale destruction of humanity, and the other gods wept beside her. The storm lasted six days and seven nights, after which 'all the human beings [have] turned to clay'. Utnapishtim weeps when he sees the destruction. His boat lodges on a mountain, and he releases a dove, a swallow, and a raven. When the raven fails to return, he opens the ark and frees its inhabitants. Utnapishtim offers a sacrifice to the gods, who smell the sweet savor and gather around. His wife Belitili vows that just as she will never forget the brilliant necklace that hangs around her neck, she will always remember this time. When Enlil arrives, angry that there are survivors, she condems him for instigating the flood. Ea also castigates him for sending a disproportionate punishment. Enlil blesses Utnapishtim and his wife, and rewards them with eternal life."

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Also, there are no accounts of Jesus in any official Roman documents.
No historians have ever mentioned him. You would think that being the masters of the World in their time, they would have mentioned in their arrogance, how the mighty empire defeated this so-called son of God?

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

That's not the only thing they integrated into their religion. Wasn't there an account of the great flood in the Epic of Gilgamesh?

Christianity is littered with other cultural and religious beliefs.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Nice thing, that Epic of Gilgamesh (tell me, what culture is Ishtar a divinity of again? Persian?).
If you ask me, the name 'hell' comes from the old Scandinavian 'Hel', and the christian satan is just a corrupted version of the celtic figure Cernunnos.
I find it actually interesting to follow such (possible) influences on modern religions...

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Nice thing, that Epic of Gilgamesh (tell me, what culture is Ishtar a divinity of again? Persian?).
If you ask me, the name 'hell' comes from the old Scandinavian 'Hel', and the christian satan is just a corrupted version of the celtic figure Cernunnos.
I find it actually interesting to follow such (possible) influences on modern religions...

I don't remember details very well, my memory is not as great as it used to be. :\\

Studying religions in interesting from a mythological point of view.
Unfortunately you will find so many accounts of war, murder, intolerance, because of diverse beliefs.
Another thing that doesn't make sense from the Bible is how old some of the characters were (like 400, 600 yo).
I don't think a human being can live longer than 135 years and now that we are bombarded with new technologies (cell phones, Wireless, etc), we won't probably know before a 10,20 year period if those are dangerous for our health the way it was discovered about the use of Asbestos in construction and house insulation.

Although I saw a documentary a long time ago about a village of centennial people somewhere in South America. One woman was 125 and had 2 daughters still living. One was 96 and the baby one was 83. xD

They live a simple life with no TV, no electricity, etc. I'm sure they have no idea what stress is. Some of them cultivated their tobacco and were smoking. Maybe someone else saw this documentary and could share more details about it. It might have been on PBS; maybe on NOVA.
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

This may have been mentioned before, but, the Christian character of Jesus is for the most part a complete rip off of the Egyptian god Horus.

Source
Info
More info
And more info

Anyway, I'm an atheist because I've yet to be presented with evidence that my position is wrong along with various other smaller, more emotional, reasons. But, unlike theism, atheists are a very varied bunch as we have very little to tie us together so a comprehensive list of reasons would be somewhat hard to produce.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

But, unlike theism, atheists are a very varied bunch as we have very little to tie us together so a comprehensive list of reasons would be somewhat hard to produce.

I'm going to have to call you on this. Theists are just as diverse as Atheists.

This may have been mentioned before, but, the Christian character of Jesus is for the most part a complete rip off of the Egyptian god Horus.

Pretty much everything is a rip off of something else which came before it. The thing I find really funny about Christianity however is how 98% of Christians have no idea on the formation of their religion. They think that -poof- Jesus born on December 25, 33 years later he's crucified, instant spread of Christianity, Bible put together, yay happy days.

Not even close.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

When someone says I hate Catholics and proudly announces he's Christian. xD

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

When someone says I hate Catholics and proudly announces he's Christian. xD

It irks me infinitely when someone claims that Catholics are not Christians, just shows how ignorant people can get, just because your variation of religion has some differences from mine.

You're all under the umbrella of Christianity, Anglican, Lutheran, Baptist, Catholic, Orthodox, Presbyterian etc etc.
Showing 526-540 of 660