ForumsThe TavernOpinions on piercings and tattoos?

77 18109
IceClaw247
IceClaw247
843 posts
Jester

I didn't find any thread on the subject so thought I'd start one. I don't personally have any piercings or tattoos (I'm 15 fyi) but I plan on getting snake bites next summer. What are everyones views on the subject?

• 77 Replies
OperationNilo
OperationNilo
3,937 posts
Shepherd

Personally, I don't care much for piercings. I'm part of a diminishing group that doesn't really like them...

I am unsure of why I dislike piercings (I even dislike those women wear in the ear), but I know I find them distracting.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Piercings I usually don't mine..although it deters me when one has them in excess or in obnoxiously unusual places.

Tattoos I enjoy...I plan on getting one myself in the near future...though there are some that I just can't laughing at or cringing.

Case in point: I have a female friend who gets a lot of little tattoos, you know the kind. They will end up with 20 tattoos but you'd never know unless they show them to you or you drug them and look yourself, and all of them are some inspirational crap. Well her newest one is from a note from her mom...who is still alive, mind you...that reads: "I love you to the moon and lack, babygud".
Obviously, it isn't supposed to read like that.

Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

On piercings and tattoos, I, personally, plan on getting a few here and there. Nothing drastic, though. Maybe a tattoo on my wrist, and an ear piercing. Regarding tattoos and piercings, I think it's fine as long as it's done in moderation and with a lot of planning. Tattoos and piercings are permanent (or at least last a long time), after all, and if done improperly or without care then you can be stuck with something you would regret having in the future.

But at the end of the day, it's really the person's choice whether they want a tattoo and piercing or not, so as long as you don't regret your decision, I'd say go for it.

LaurenLouise1507
LaurenLouise1507
88 posts
Nomad

I quite like tattoos and piercings. I only just got my ears pierced in the summer.
I think that tattoos are fine, but not when people get them everywhere (apparently someone got their eyes tattooed?). It's the same with piercings. They're fine, but not when people have everything pierced.
In the future, I'm hoping to get a small tattoo.

sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

or you drug them and look yourself, and all of them are some inspirational crap.

Umm... pang..... wtf. Lol

Anyways personally I don't mind either on people. It's their bodies let them do what they want I guess. On the end of me personally liking them?

I like them. Currently planning on getting a pretty big tattoo (also my first) on my leg in January or February. Piercings I'm not so sure right now but I'm interested in getting them on my ears.. but that's about it for now.

Tattoos though.. I love tattoos.
IceClaw247
IceClaw247
843 posts
Jester

Obviously it's not everyone, I'm not a huge fan of people with tattoos everywhere but someone like Kat Von D is so hot with them. I don't want to rush into doing anything like getting a tattoo until I'm really 100% its a tattoo I want on my body for life. They are getting much more popular but still in the workplace they are shunned and most people with them are thought of as delinquent's.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

It's another of those things I guess where I don't see much to have an opinion on, one way or the other.

That said, the obvious remark would be to say that a tattoo is there forever (yes, there are removal procedures, but they're expensive and imperfect and therefore not necessarily pretty), so give it some good thought if that's really something you want to carry for the rest of your life, and on that precise spot. (E.g. future careers may be severely hampered by having "Blow it all to hell" in neon letters all over your forehead, as may your love life, and other such obviousnesses.)

Same of course for piercings, which while less obtrusive will tend to leave visible scars.

(Coming from one who has both. The lady, incidentally, has multiple piercings, but they grew irritating on her, besides she does work which makes them impractical, if not to say risky. I guess it's no bother to her, but yes of course those holes are visible, and will remain so. Notably an ear full of them, and one on the chin.)

The gist being, I guess, that maybe at age 15 you might want to go easy on anything too drastic. But I guess your parents and teachers could've told you that Maybe from a fellow wanna social outcast though it may leave more of an impression

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I quite like tattoos and piercings.

I can just SEE the British

@sourwhatup2 - what? Have you never tried to look at a girl's tats before?
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

personally i really dont like piercings. i dont even like earings. cant explain why... i guess... nah... cant exapain why lol.

i find tatoos really awsome and interesting. its not my style and im not gonna get one ever but i like them on other people. actually what everybody (including me) thought was make up is actually my moms "tatoo". kind of like a green shadow on and over her eye lids XD

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

what? Have you never tried to look at a girl's tats before?

Maybe they just don't usually drug them to do so

nb

Maybe a tattoo on my wrist,

For a first tattoo and/or if perhaps you are quite young, the obvious applies again: Hard to hide if necessary/wanted.

Maybe go for a less conspicuous spot first, if you get the hang of it, you can always progress later. The ubiquitous shoulder, back of shoulder, and so on are easily covered.
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Then pps

[quote=MacII](yes, there are removal procedures, but they're expensive and imperfect and therefore not necessarily pretty)[/quote]

The more common procedure, btw and perhaps therefore, is to cover it with/rework into another tattoo. Ergo, a tattoo on that spot you'll still be carrying.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

I personally, don't like either. Piercings are ugly, and tattoos are the same.

I've heard of negative health effects as well, and you also get to have the hole from the piercing and the tattoo your entire life, during which it will fade, stretch, and look like heck.

Tattoo removal is also quite expensive as well.

tegan190
tegan190
783 posts
Nomad

I've heard of negative health effects as well, and you also get to have the hole from the piercing and the tattoo your entire life, during which it will fade, stretch, and look like heck.

That depends on where you get your piercing. Some places close up faster than others, like pierced ears but other areas on your body will take 6 - 12 weeks to close up, like the nose.

The problem with waiting for piercings to close is without an actual piercing the hole can be uncomfortable and prone to infection.
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

You can still see the mark where the piercing was decades after it closes up.

I'm neutral, because there are horrible looking tattoos and piercings and there are awesome looking tattoos and piercings.

IceClaw247
IceClaw247
843 posts
Jester

Actually I've seen a lot of elderly people with piercings and tattoos and they really don't look bad, tattoos slightly fade but if necessary you can redo more detail on it. Removal is painful and expensive, I heard the easiest colour to remove is black, and the hardest is yellow.

Showing 1-15 of 77