ForumsWEPRMormonism

428 87166
Linktopast30
Linktopast30
109 posts
Jester

I'm starting this topic to "continue" a conversation started in the Christians vs. Catholics thread. I will include some of the details from there, but the rest are up to anyone new to read up on. I will specifically post the contents of one post, more or less.

We did not baptize Adolf Hitler. That is a lie. After people baptized for Obama's mother, an official release was sent out saying that unless you specifically know the person who's name you are bringing in to do temple work for (not the names that they already have) or they are in your family, you cannot do temple work for them.

We are not barred from being around ex Mormons. We do not necessarily believe they are with Satan. We excommunicate people for their good. In our views, it gives them a second chance. They can rejoin the church later, and their sins will be gone, just as they were when they were first baptized. I know many ex Mormons, and I do not get in trouble for being with them.

South Park is in no way an authority on anything. The fact that you're trying to cite that is pathetic.

Yes, there was polygamy. But it was revoked in the 1890's (even if only for legal reasons). Joseph Smith did not try to burn down a newspaper place. He was taken to jail for no real reason. If he shot back, it was only because they were shooting at him.

The reason non members are not allowed in the temple is because of the sacred things that go on in there. If just anyone was allowed in, the spirit would be disrupted. I will expound on this if needs be.

I am personally ashamed of the acts of other Latter-Day Saints who have done temple work for people without permission from relatives of that person. It is wrong, and we know it.

Tithing... It was actually in Christ's day when it started. The only reason it affects our worthiness to enter the temple (not our standing in general). The Lord gave us everything we have, and all he asks is 10% of what we earn. I'd say that's a pretty small price for life, liberty, and happiness.

Also, we believe in Agency and Accountability. You can choose to do what you want, but you will have to accept the consequences.

I have a testimony of Jesus Christ. He is my savior and my redeemer. I believe that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, and that Thomas S. Monson is the living prophet today. I believe the Bible to be true as far as it is correctly translated. I know that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, we can be forgiven for our sins and return to live with our Heavenly Father. I have seen the Atonement in action in my life. I know that God listens to all prayers to him. He answers them in his own way. I know that I can make it to the Celestial Kingdom if I but do my best to keep the commandments of God.

• 428 Replies
Linktopast30
Linktopast30
109 posts
Jester

Ok, there are a couple things I left out.
@Sonatavarius That's kind of interesting that you grew up in the Community of Christ. I have been curious about them, because I'm way hazy on their beliefs. I'm more knowledgeable about the FLDS splinter group than I do about the RLDS, and the only thing I know about the FLDS is that they practiced plural marriage.

also @Sonatavarius: we do not pray to the heavenly mother. Some sources are very likely wrong about that and have posted it places.

and...
@E1337: Sorry I blew up at you. I've been combating constant religion trolling for a few days, and I've also been having a personal struggle of beliefs. Just remember to keep your posts a little less biting.

now, finally...
@everyone: please give me time to answer all your questions before posting new ones. You may post insights if you wish, but I just ask that I be given time to answer. Thanks!

Zydrate
Zydrate
383 posts
Farmer

I don't have much to say except the fact they're borderline cultists.
My brother got whisked with them only because his girlfriend at the time was with them.
They broke up. Guess what? He thinks Mormons are rather silly.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

we do believe there is a heavenly mother, but we do not worship her. So we're technically still monotheistic in that we worship one God.

Do you consider this Heavenly Mother to be a goddess, even though you don't worship her?
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

as for inhibiting knowledge... creating a vacuum and then releasing it would cause an exponential growth of knowledge after....i mean i'm just throwing random things out now...

now i'm curious as to how many of those criterion you can match up w/ the Community of Christ denomination... besides the somewhat erroneous BoM.... (for the most part... give or take 90% of what we do we only look at the bible... or at least at my particular congregation)...even tho we only

And I let my comments be as sharp as I please.

self restraint is key friend. the "as I please" part will get you in trouble if its not monitored. you make it sound as if you can do whatever you &quotlease" w/o consequence... I don't see administrator under your name. you don't have to agree... you can adamantly disagree... but common courtesy is all we ask.

if a group of people wants to believe a certain thing is true when it may or may not be... and the members have every right to leave when they want to... and they're not hurting you then i don't see a reason for slander and/or defamatory words.

the ranches where people are getting hurt and other extremists that are on the news are in my opinion one of the only things that merit such harshness

the father son and holy spirit/ghost are a supposed trinity.... all of them of God tier status. yet they are apparently one entity...
similar to the Hindu Brahman... or as i've learned about it... the whole mother concept easily falls under the same logic

at that point you're just arguing different facets of the same supposed god
Linktopast30
Linktopast30
109 posts
Jester

I was already at a low point when I read E1337's remarks. I have Bipolar disorder. When I am at a low point, I tend to get REALLY angry and do things I end up regretting later. E1337's most recent post was the most blatantly ignorant post ever. Several of those things were only put there to be inflammatory or to provoke me. Until he's gone, to hell with your answers. I'm done fighting a constant war with someone whose views will not change no matter what.

This post is getting closer to angry. Do not let me get ALL the way to angry.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Link, all E1337 did in that last post was ask you how many of those points that are used to categorize something as a cult fit Mormonism.

Linktopast30
Linktopast30
109 posts
Jester

@MageGrayWolf he did more actually. Many of those have already been answered, and this shows he is ignoring everything. He also is TRYING to piss me off by saying he will make his posts as sharp as he pleases. You can now see why I have reason to believe he is simply a troll.

I will answer his questions though, because now that I understand what he meant, I can be rational.

@E1337 no, there isn't any aspect of that all (the anger for heresy thing).

Most, if not all of those points do not apply to Mormonism, actually. If a ward or stake leader is abusive, they can, and usually will, be excommunicated. The priesthood office of Bishop is the only thing that will never be restored to them if they are reconciled (I don't know the exact word right now, but I think there is one).

As far as I know, we do have financial disclosure regarding our budget. We as members also know what our tithes and offerings go to.

Members of the church are very diverse. Really, the only similarities I see are that (a) we're human (at least, I don't think any of them are aliens :P) and (b) our faith. I have friends who have been excommunicated from the church,, one of whom has been reinstated (that's the word I was looking for).

When someone doesn't feel they are good enough, leaders counsel them to look at themselves and see that they are actually much better than they think they are.

I actually have to go to work right now, so I'll get to the rest of his points later, but definitely before today is over.

Linktopast30
Linktopast30
109 posts
Jester

Sorry for the double post, but I left something out.

Something I forgot to say (or at least didn't say it fully):
Now that I understand what E1337 meant in his post, I can see that he wasn't in violation.

I meant this to be part of my previous post. I blame the lack of an edit button

Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

u may want to use a different book for ur examples next time... as i would love to have a copy of that book

don't jehova's witnesses do the same thing w/ the bible? you make it sound as if they're aggravating simply b/c they're mormon... i think its the fact that they are promoting their book to other people who don't want to be bothered. i've heard some nasty things from christians and non chrsitians alike about having people come up to their doors giving them bibles and asking if they'd go to church w/ them. i think the people just happen to be mormon.

some people get aggravated when handed Gideon bibles...

Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

As for your bipolar nature, please, seek help and take your medication, mental illeness is something that should be handled by people who actually know what they are doing.

advising someone on their problems like that walks a very thin line. you can't tell if its a subtle sarcastic jab or if its sincere. if he were to get aggravated at that comment i'm not so sure it wouldn't be justified. its almost as if you're talking down to the person...

don't get the wrong idea.... your participation here in the forums is most appreciated. its always good to have new viewpoints added into the mix. i know i'm not really sticking w/ the thread w/ this potential double post but if i sent u a personal comment then all the others that view this thread will have lacked this input. phrasing your posts so that they're more geared towards talking to the person as an equal, as opposed to seeming like your talking down to the person, is the most efficient way of helping the conversation flow... as opposed to rerouting it to spammy hate messages...

i'm not trying to be an etiquette nazi or anything like that... just trying to help make everyone's future posts be a little more efficient in my own way. if you disagree w/ me then that's fine.

I look forward to seeing your opinions on other topics in the future.
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

i'm a little lost on your terminology... by temple do u mean church or a/the temple in Utah?

later on in life... i'd like to read it, but i don't want people i don't know knocking on my door for the sake of doing it at any time during a 24/7 ...365 ... period. for any reason... religious or otherwise... .especially in the morning

if i want you over then i'll invite you

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

I have a brief question. One, is it true that a majority of Mormons live in Utah, or is that just a joke that's so wide spread that everyone believes it? Also, if it's true, why is that, just where it happened to end up?

Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

for the most part they were kicked out of where they were living and that territory was mostly opened down there so they went there (just happened to be where they wanted to go i think) to escape persecution

and that's where the seed grew into the population it has now. mormons live in lots of the states and lots of the countries around the world. ...just most densely concentrated there in Utah

Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

i can't help but wonder if that was b/c the others were killing them b/c they weren't of their own mindset...

CommanderDude7
CommanderDude7
4,689 posts
Nomad

Though that was during a period of time known as the Utah War so perhaps the Arkansas emigrates could have chosen a better path west. The actions of the militia to cover it up were malicious however.

Showing 46-60 of 428