ForumsWEPRHeaven is for Real

81 27504
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

This isn't about how I feel about heaven being real. It's more about how this boy feels about heaven.

Heaven is for Real

So this boy had a near-death experience and he wanted to share what he saw there. WHat do you think about it, do you belive it? Do you think he was just seeing things? Post your opinion.

• 81 Replies
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Colton Burpo, the son of an evangelical pastor in Imperial, Neb.,

I think that right there tells the whole story. We know near death experiences happen and what causes them, this little boy just attributed it to what he hears his father talking about all the time.
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

this little boy just attributed it to what he hears his father talking about all the time.

I agree. And the part about him knowing things about his family could be that he overheard his parents in his sleep. I often have dreams based on what I hear.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

And the part about him knowing things about his family could be that he overheard his parents in his sleep. I often have dreams based on what I hear.

Not only that, he apparently has an older sister as well. How much of what he "could not possibly have known" could have been told to him casually by his sister.

"Hey Colton, you were going to be a girl nyeh-nyeh"
"Hey Colton, did you know that Jesus got stabbed through his hands? Daddy told me so."

I can easily imagine that taking place.

Also in the article, it says that the story "came out slowly, months and years after his sudden illness and operation in 2003." Just how much is a young child going to put forth about essentially a vivid dream months and years ago? How much was suggested by the father, like, "did you see a -insert whatever-?"
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

I feel disgusted that his father will jump on the thing and make money out of it.

âBut what was unusual about this book was that it was the story of a little boy. It deactivated some of the cynicism that can go along with adults capitalizing on their experiences.â

How imbecilic can one get? It actually just heightens suspicions that some adult is in the backroom with pots of green. Children are naive to say the least.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

i agree that it could be (probably is) what the above people are saying. then again, who knows. people from all over the world have those expereiences. they can analyze their expereinces in a different way based on their race, religion etc. i sometimes see people that show me those experiences as proof.... well how is it a proof that a muslim/christian/jewish/etc. can have that experience and then getting more religios to that religion (.... grammar fail). even though its interesting i think those expereinces are the last thing we should look upon when trying to explain religion/hell/heaven etc.

sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

then again, who knows. people from all over the world have those expereiences.

I highly doubt they actually saw it, it was probably a fraction of their imagination. I've been in near-death experiences many times, and I remembered what my father kept telling me. "If you're lucky, you survive. Jesus will not help you in survival. That's all just Bull-"

So, this boy here just probably remembered what his father told him, if he believes in Christ, he will survive et cetera
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

which is why we say exprerience. by using that word we are not saying he actually physically saw something. its just something he experienced

CommanderPaladin
CommanderPaladin
1,531 posts
Nomad

I think that right there tells the whole story. We know near death experiences happen and what causes them, this little boy just attributed it to what he hears his father talking about all the time.

Wrong. If you read the book, as I and my family did, you will find that the boy was recounting facts, details, and even some prophecies from Heaven that his father did not even know, much less teach him. There were elements of the boy's first-person account that matched or explained specific tenets from Scripture that could not have been known any other way except having actually gone to Heaven.

I suggest that you read the book before passing any kind of judgement on its authenticity.
zakyman
zakyman
1,631 posts
Peasant

I suggest that you read the book before passing any kind of judgement on its authenticity.

^agreed

I am not sure if I should read it. Commander, is it a good book?
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Wrong. If you read the book, as I and my family did, you will find that the boy was recounting facts, details, and even some prophecies from Heaven that his father did not even know, much less teach him. There were elements of the boy's first-person account that matched or explained specific tenets from Scripture that could not have been known any other way except having actually gone to Heaven.

So in an age of information it's not at all possible he could have heard of this from any other source?

While it is good to do reading it's not really necessary here to pass any sort of judgment on the matter. The boy is clearly in a position to be exposed to such information if not by his father by others around him. Given what we know of NDE this already puts any such claims into question and just because it's all coming from a child only makes it less credible unlike how the article states.
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

While it is good to do reading it's not really necessary here to pass any sort of judgment on the matter.

I agree there is no evidence, scientific logic or credibility to this book and child's experience to warrant a read through.

The boy is clearly in a position to be exposed to such information if not by his father by others around him.

It's so easy to change peoples memories after the fact and his father being a evangelical pastor would of easily seen to that.

More importantly when I was in surgery when I was a child and they gave me a drug that caused me to see things and at that point in my childhood I was interested in the sea. So naturally flying dolphins that pooped rainbows were induced in my hallucinations. So this is just a hallucination that along with his fathers brainwashing caused him to "hallucinate" about heaven.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

It's so easy to change peoples memories after the fact and his father being a evangelical pastor would of easily seen to that.

That's quite possible as well.

More importantly when I was in surgery when I was a child and they gave me a drug that caused me to see things and at that point in my childhood I was interested in the sea. So naturally flying dolphins that pooped rainbows were induced in my hallucinations. So this is just a hallucination that along with his fathers brainwashing caused him to "hallucinate" about heaven.

I once had a friend who had a NDE, he heard heavy metal and saw previews of upcoming video games. Now how's that for an afterlife?
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

There were elements of the boy's first-person account that matched or explained specific tenets from Scripture that could not have been known any other way except having actually gone to Heaven.

maybe i misunderstood something and will make myself look stupid. but if he knows something that is imposibble to know. how do WE know its true and not a dream? read the last sentence in your comment...? i just got confused. no one came back from heaven to confirm his "facts"
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

maybe i misunderstood something and will make myself look stupid. but if he knows something that is imposibble to know. how do WE know its true and not a dream? read the last sentence in your comment...? i just got confused. no one came back from heaven to confirm his "facts"

Well, I could claim to have seen a pink unicorn. How do people know it's false and that it wasn't a figment of my imagination? Vocal evidence is simply not good enough these days.

There were elements of the boy's first-person account that matched or explained specific tenets from Scripture that could not have been known any other way except having actually gone to Heaven.

Uh-huh. And how do you know the parents didn't teach him such stuff? They said they didn't, but who's to say that they actually didn't? We're simply buying their word for it.

In that case, believe in the pink unicorns, because my word is as good as theirs.
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

In that case, believe in the pink unicorns, because my word is as good as theirs.

You have a very good point. We're taking their word without any evidence. And even if they were telling the truth we have a very reasonable explanation for it.
Showing 1-15 of 81