ForumsForum GamesCount to 100: Mods Allowed To Count

78377 46090140
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

The original "This Thread is Currently About" is back! Yes, it's Count to 100!

HOW TO PLAY

1. Count by ones from 1 to 100 in 100 consecutive posts according to the Core Rules.
2. Restart the count from 1 after:
a. a Moderator (or an Administrator) makes a stopping post (post without counting) if users and Knights are counting..
b. a user or Knight or Warden makes a stopping post (post without counting) if Moderators and Administrators are counting.
c. breaking a core rule, spamming, or cheating.
d. reaching 100.
3. Announce why you restart the count so other counters don't get confused.
NOTE: For the time being, Moderators are allowed to help Users count, so as long as the other rules are observed you do not need to restart the count if you see a mod count. However, if a Moderator makes a stopping post, i.e. a post without counting (not the same as a non-count post since they're technically different teams), it is considered an interruption and the count will restart.

CORE RULES

No mistakes. A count must start from 1 and increase by ones up to 100, save for exceptions noted.
No double-counting. No counter may count two consecutive numbers.
No back-to-back counting. No two counters may alternate for more than three consecutive numbers.
Okay: P1 P2 P1 P3
Not Okay: P1 P2 P1 P2
Okay: P1 P2 reset P1 P2
No editing. No counter may edit their post. If an edit tag shows on a count, the attempt is forfeit.

ADDiTiONAL RULES

No "spamming". Please don't post only the number and please don't post gibberish, either.
Multiple one- or two-word counts may also disqualify a count.
No "cheating". This shouldn't need to be said. Counting to 100 doesn't count if you cheat.
This is an exercise in teamwork, not rule bending.
No "spoiling". Don't mess with the count. Posts should start with the correct number.
Posts with no numbers should be ignored. See also: No non-counts.
Posts with intentional mistakes should be ignored.
No "spilping". If this is your first post in this thread, please post "I'm new and here to count to 100!"
No non-counts. No counter may post without a counting number or make a post without bolding that number if that counting number is not at the start of the post.

COMPLETE SET OF RULES
Please refer to the complete set of rules for additional information and examples of what is valid or invalid.
DiSCUSSiON THREAD
Please also check out the discussion thread for new gameplay or rule proposals or general discussion on the gameplay and rules of "Count to 100".

END GAME

Once you reach 100, you start this Sisyphean task all over again back at 1. Users should notify the Commissioner of the Count (HahiHa) that the count reached 100 and the Commissioner will review it to make sure there were no mistakes or cheating. If there were no mistakes or cheating, then the users who took part in the successful count to 100 will get a shiny new Quest!

SCOREBOARD

bold = counted 100, italics = previous winning participant, [#] = # of total wins, (#) = # of times counted 100
FULL SCOREBOARD

MODS - 2 WINS
Highest Count: 15!
1. 9! - 3865 (2533) pages / 286 days, Feb 13, '15 at 5:49pm, 3 users, 6 minutes.
Gantic, Ferret, weirdlike
Note: Earned by handicap.

2. 14! - 2135 pages / 937 days, Sep 08, '17 at 1:25pm, 3 users, 6 mins.
Moegreche, nichodemus, UnleashedUponMankind
Note: Earned by handicap.

USERS - 51 WINS
1. 100! - 537 (355) pages / 94 days, Aug 6, '14 at 9:28pm, 16 users, 14 hrs 33 mins.
apldeap123, Azywng, Crickster, Chryosten (as Darkfire45), Darktroop07, evilsweetblock, JACKinbigletters, kalkanadam, Loop_Stratos, MPH_Complexity, Omegap12, Patrick2011, R2D21999, Snag618, Tactical_Fish, Voyage2

LAST TWO WINS

50. 100! - February 12, '24, 11 users, 52 days.
sciller45 (5)[17], HalRazor [5], saint_of_gaming [5], JimSlaps (1)[2], TheMostManlyMan (1)[14], Solas128 [3], nichodemus (2)[9], Widestsinger [5], SirLegendary (2)[22], skater_kid_who_pwns, disastermaster30 (3)[5]

51. 100! - March 17, '24, 11 users, 35 days.
JimSlaps (1)[3], sciller45 (5)[18], saint_of_gaming [6], TheMostManlyMan (1)[15], Strop, skater_kid_who_pwns [2], GhostOfMatrix [4], WidestSinger (1)[6], HalRazor [6], SirLegendary (2)[23], Solas128 [4]

• 78,377 Replies
sciller45
sciller45
2,854 posts
Justiciar

15. @PLGuy Sorry, I've been late with the RP. Life just turned into a blur for me. There's not much I'm awaiting. Every day just feels the same, and I just don't know time anymore. I managed to pull myself out of it enough to write this. Hopefully, I'll manage to bring myself together tomorrow, too and add another piece.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The fact that the creature was a scavanger was barely comforting to Hammond. It were things like these that made him think twice before the expedition. But no, oh, no. There's no turning back now. Every day they lose more and more men. Who knows how many were killed by the kraken. All he knew was that the kraken would be far from the worst.
As two men helped him climb back on to the ship, he realized they were running out of supplies. The kraken choked on his chainmail. On the bright side of all the deaths that happened, the dead men's armour and weapons could be reused. It was not worth burying the dead. There were too many of them scattered all across the beast, many of them left behind for the vultures to feast on. What men they found, they scavanged for their gear, often having to fight with the shrieking scavangers of the depths.

Hammond healed his pierced arm as best as he could in the short time he had. Nearly all the men on the ship had an injury of some kind. He refused to eat until all the men have been patched up. "As long as they could live, they were fine" he thought, "I 'aven't got the supplies to fix up even half of 'em!"
A few hours later, half of them were soaking their wounds in the seawater, and the others' wounds were covered with whatever old rags Hammond found. He resorted to using his bottle of moonshine to clean wounds.
There was one thing they had to do: to land on an island and try to find any herbs, roots or dead plants and stock up on them, It's impossible to carry on for a few more weeks, and the ever looming danger from the depths threatened to cut their measly expedition short.

He tried asking the captain to stop at the nearest island.
"Cap'n Langley Hemming Jerriksson, I saw how you handled that Kraken. If you hadn't chopped off at least ten tentacles..."
"Oh, quit the quackery, Hammond. What do you want?"
"Isn't it obvious, captain? Look at the deck! If we get attacked again, we're done for! We need to land on an island and stock up. We can't be on the sea no longer."
"And you're right, Hammond! We're running out of supplies. But, that means it's all or nothing. Eternal glory or death. We can't land the ship."
"Why can't we? Don't you realize there's a thi-"
"No. I've made my choice."
"Very well, then, Cap'n"
After walking out of Quickly's room, he decided to finally eat. He knew there wasn't much time left, and the chances of hitting gold were slim. But he couldn't let that happen. The vikings won't die of some crazy's pursuit of gold.

--------------------------------------CHAPTER II--------------------------------------------
---------------------------------The Cursed Island----------------------------------------

PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

16. @sciller45 No problem, good to see that we're back on a roll xD
About your mention of burying: Vikings only buried their dead in proper places or in case of slaves with the wealth their masters wanted to carry to the afterlife. A proper burial for our Vikings, so far from home, would be by burning on boats. Or with the recent situation, before drawing up to the shore - planks would suffice.
BTW: do you plan on continuing with these scavengers? I was thinking about adding a short entry with the helping work by Vegeirr but IDK if I can touch them xD

sciller45
sciller45
2,854 posts
Justiciar

18. I tried to find how viking warriors who died during battle at sea were handled like, but, as you can see... I saved myself the effort and wrote the good old &quotroper burial" If you find something about it, link it to me.
BTW, sure, you can touch the scavangers, but be careful - they bite.

Yellowcat
Yellowcat
2,869 posts
Treasurer

19. You guys are writing a whole book there!!

PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

20. @sciller45 In advance, I won’t be trying to change the captain xD As annoying as he may be, he’s connected (not credibly) to historical facts. And here’s about funerals. So first burning in a boat (drifting to Valhalla) and then burying the remnants + adding tumuli and runestones. They should be taking the ashes of close ones back to home but I guess that sending them to Valhalla is enough.

Vegeirr 2-3
He went outside and asked for Hammond. Torben informed him that the viking in question is searching the waters around for drifting bodies. So dutiful, Vegeirr thought, nevermind, that might wait.
Berserk had been helping the medic with tending the wounded after his own bruises were patched. This time there were no gashes due to the character of Kraken’s assault but wall-to-wall tentacles spared almost no-one. There had been even a case of crashed hand resulting in an amputation. Vegeirr remembered how he had heard Olaf’s scream despite a stick between the man’s teeth.
Of course that lucky sod, Captain Quickly, came to no harm - thanks to the ever-watchful eye of the Allfather, as he would say. He didn’t do much to help the wounded, being engaged by “planning”. Vegeirr thought how safer they could travel if they had a captain that cares more about his crew. But Quickly owned the Drakkar and the only way to change that fact could be achieved by a mutiny. For the new captain, berserk would vote for the healer for his courage and commitment during and after last battles. These were only thoughts though, warrior knew how important is cooperation in this environment. They had to avoid internal fights, every warrior mattered and besides captain had too many allies among the crew. He had taken a whole unit from Vestfold. Right now, Veigerr was boarding a rowboat with four of them and Torben who asked for assistance. They all took places and men started rowing in the other direction than the other boat.
Berserk was observing the four shieldmaidens chatting while he was working forcefully with the oar. Valkyries were quite pretty comparing to the other female warriors he had met. They had dark skins and bright hair. Three of them wore round shields painted in various colours, but all with the same sign: a big red V. Sága wielded a spear with bright blue shield, Sigrid a sword with yellow one, Freydis a hatchet with green one. The other one, Cecilia, equipped a long bow and a quiver of red-feathered arrows.
“There’s one, near the rocks.” Cecilia said pointing with one hand while shadowing her eyes from the glow with the other. At this point of day Yurlungur was shining immensely. As they rowed by, the body suddenly disappeared under water with a loud splash. They could see that this time scavenger wasn’t diving into the depths, instead it was swimming towards the rocky complex.
“Looks like there’s one of their nests.” deduced Torben “I hope I won’t have that pleasure of visiting it. At least not as a still-living guest.”

sciller45
sciller45
2,854 posts
Justiciar

21. CURSE YOU, MOBILE! I just wrote a chunk of text only for it to be redirected to mobile page. Peachy.

I read the article, but IMO it wasn't of much use to me. For example, if a viking army got completely crushed and the remaining had to bury the dead so they could go on to the afterlife, there wouldn't be enough resources to burn them all in ships or cremate them on land. And, if they went away to come back and bury, the corpses would be rotting, or in this case, eaten. Guess, I'll have to let fiction take over in this case.

PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

23. I watch Vikings (s06 is being released) and I didn’t see them doing anything to the dead after battles. There were just a few funerals, mostly of nobly born, once or twice there were actual boats sent on the sea. For the poorer they built makeshift boats from stones or sticks. After a battle when it’s near a city I think they just burn ones unclaimed, members of families or friends bury remnants of some. Also I wouldn’t exaggerate with casualties now. I could mean that there were 20 in total but of course I don’t give any exact measurements of anything - just so anyone can join and think of any crew member.

Finishing words of that part:

They have found another body in time. Shieldmaidens recognized one of their soldiers, so men hoisted him on the boat. After looting the corpse from anything that might prove useful they were about to row back. Then they’ve heard a noise coming from the rocks. Berserk surmised it was shrieking of monsters feasting on carrion. Echo made it impossible to guess the exact number of voices, it could be twenty, hundred… or even more. A cold shiver ran down Vegeirr’s spine.
Valkyries persisted on holding the custom of Norse funerals so they had to take the corpse back on the ship. After they had boarded, they found out there were still spare planks. Soon another warrior was sent on his way to Valhalla. Vikings keep insisting on ignoring the fact that before culprits get burnt, they get grabbed by carrion eaters. The only difference is that meat gets cooked. But a custom is a custom. Once again Vegeirr felt the need of hitting himself with the hammer in that stupid head when he started salivating at this scent. He would definitely like to eat something else than a fish for a change.

Yellowcat
Yellowcat
2,869 posts
Treasurer

24. Seriously, is someone compiling all of that?

I like Kat's idea, let's eat some rice.

PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

25. @sciller45 I have some things ready for Bjorn, so I’ll be throwing it slowly, but I’ll wait for another island with his plot. Also before the next encounter – I would prefer to fight cunning beasts that, say, use their 15-metre tentacles to keep distance and won’t let a single Viking to blind both their eyes with splinters of wood and then let him go :-P Many enemies were shown as stupid in fantasy worlds but just think about predators on the Earth – they all are strong but also intelligent to outwit the prey. Also a bit of balance would be great, unless you’re Thor xD I had to overcome some fear just to crush a big hornet, so even if I were the greatest warrior I wouldn’t jump into the water to fight Kraken without real weapons, well maybe blinded by emotions like when I had to save my wife or something. On the other hand, Thor could do that without fear and even fish for Jörmungandr between the blows. Hmm, similar names: Jörmungandr = Yurlungur? If Norsemen got to Australia too I’m just out of words.

Bjorn 3-1
Bjorn woke up from another dream hearing a disturbing sound. He controlled his first reflexes after seeing the milky white material, remembering what had happened the last time. Instead he took a deep breath and started palpating his ribs feeling moderate pain. It seemed that his injuries were miraculously well healed but he felt very hungry. He looked around and saw that he lies inside something like an earthy coffin. The bed felt soft and a little bit like moss on its surface. He eyed the material above again. It had resembled linen at first but only now did he see that it moves slightly as if shrinking and unshrinking. Bjorn spotted small slots on it that resembled skin pores. He touched the material, it felt like silk and to his amazement it rolled itself revealing the illuminated ceiling. Carefully, he stuck his neck out and then almost shouted hearing the noise again. It was something like breathing of a beast combined with flowing water. He looked into the direction where it came from. On a wall he saw a wide membrane conjoined to it. When the membrane lifted he felt draft.
Viking was naked and he saw his clothes lying below the blowing membrane. He slowly stood up and stepped from the weird coffin with coral moss. He looked around, now he saw that brown cave isn’t anything he’d seen before. Its surface was irregular and heavily porous and warrior could see a worrying regularity in shape. In the biggest pores he saw a glowing bluish substance. The floor was even weirder. It was smoother but reddish and lined with black vein-like wires. It was lined with 8 thick blackish seams. It looked as if these were 8 equal tongues stuck and holding together the brighter and sunken middle part. Bjorn could also spot some weird symbols and small objects on walls but decided to get dressed before inspecting them. He walked near the breathing thing. If not for the color, the film resembled unscaled fish skin people used in his tribe for window panes. He peeked into the uncovered round vent and saw good size gills. Am I inside a beast? he thought. He almost jumped when the membrane closed with a snap.
After dressing up, Bjorn walked up to a part of wall that had bluely glowing symbols. There were three of them…

Yellowcat
Yellowcat
2,869 posts
Treasurer

27. Well, I haven't played For Honor, so I couldn't tell you. Maybe I'll complete the campaign and then give you an answer.

PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

28. That must be a great game. But if it's balanced, it will be fair enough fight xD
In a battle like 1000 Vikings vs 1000 Samurais I wager for the former. Vikings had good tactics, and lots of them just loved battles and had good instincts on battlefield. But 1v1 only the best Norse fighters could match a samurai (if this is not just anime propaganda).

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

1. Knights, Vikings and Samurais of the same epoch (say 11th century) were quite similarly outfitted, as far as quality of equipment goes. The more skilled fighter would win; that's it, really.

armorplayergc
armorplayergc
16,463 posts
King

1. That would be an epic battle
What if I were a Viking-Samurai-Knight though?

gehmjoh
gehmjoh
2 posts
Peasant

I'm new and here to count to 100!

sciller45
sciller45
2,854 posts
Justiciar

4. Well, I guess if the samurai and knight were sober and the viking was tripping, my bet is on the drugged up bear.

Showing 72376-72390 of 78377