ForumsArt, Music, and WritingASC Round #32: Favorite ASC Round (Ends July 3rd)

748 955914
Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

Welcome to the Art Skills Competition 2014/2015, or "ASC" for short. It is a contest to gather willing artists from the forums to compete in a friendly test of their skills and reward the best of their work each round.

Rounds will take place each month, the last day of the month will be the final cutoff for any entries. The judging will take place the first week of the following month.

Competition Guidelines :

1. The entry must be 100% original material.
2. Each round lasts for a month; closing date is at the end of that month.
3. Submissions should be relevant to the current month's theme. (See thread's title)
4. Keep posts resolutions within reason and if you must have a larger resolution, link it to the entry.
5. Entries can be created in any medium, please note that it will be appreciated if hand drawn entries are cropped to contain only the intended work.
6. Winners will be announced by the judge of the competition at the end of each round; the results are final and non-debatable.
7. The winner of a round will have the right to choose the next theme; if this takes too long, the judge will choose one instead.
8. All participants of each round will receive a Merit for their hard work; the winner of each round will receive the Armor Games "Artist Quest"!

Rounds held thus far :

Round #1 : Knight (2014 Page 1) - Winner @kegaumongo
Round #2 : Fantasy (2014 Page 4) - Winner @weirdlike
Round #3 : Smileys (2014 Page 7) - Winner @MrDayCee
Round #4 : Horror (2014 Page 10) - Winner @AHomoSapien
Round #5 : Wild Animals (2014 Page 15) - Winner @SirLegendary
Round #6 : Superheroes (2014 Page 16) - Winner @Alexistigerspice
Round #7 : Birds (2015 Page 21) - Winner @kegaumongo
Round #8 : Alone in the Dark (2015 Page 24) - Winner @Cenere
Round #9 : Through the Fire (2015 Page 26) - Winner @kegaumongo
Round #10 : Blue (2015 Page 30) - Winner @StormWalker
Round #11 : Robots (2015 Page 34) - Winner @weirdlike
Round #12 : 3D Glasses (2015 Page 40) - Winner @Cenere
Round #13 : Self Portrait (2015 Page 44) - Winner @StormWalker
Round #14 : Dragons (2015 Page 47) - Winner @huwbert2013
Round #15 : Demons, Green Mouse (2015 Page 51) - Winner @FishPreferred & @kegaumongo
Round #16 : Crystal, The night (2015 Page 53) - Winner @Koshionos
Round #17 : Extraterrestrial Life, Coffee (2015 Page 53) - Winner @Cenere
Round #18 : Cats or catman, Rocking horse (2016 Page 55) - Winner @Shoeminor
Round #19 : Aether, Balloons (2016 Page 55) - Winner @Reton8
Round #20 : opposition, science (2016 Page 55) - Winner @akshobhya
Round #21 : Summer (2016 Page 38) - Winner @Laspa
Round #22 : Flowers (2016 Page 39) - Winner @ivanxxxxxxx
Round #23 : Ninja Horse (2016 Page 40) - Winner @SirLegendary
Round #24 : Space Alien (2016 Page 41) - Winner @Huwbert2013
Round #25 : Video Games (2016 Page 43) - Winner @Miraidematro
Round #26 : Music (2016 Page 45) - Winner @SirLegendary
Round #27 : Masks (2016 Page 47) - Winner @Gaboloth
Round #28 : Winter (2017 Page 48) - Winner @ivanxxxxxxx
Round #29 : Dead Nature (2017 Page 49) - Winner @Laspa
Round #30 : Women (2017 Page 49) - Winner @ivanxxxxxxx
Round #31 : Dead Nature 2 (2017 Page 50) - Winner @ivanxxxxxxx and @HahiHa

Starting theme...

Round 1: Knight
This months theme will be dedicated to creating a knight representing that of Armor Games, it is a non official character to try and stir the imaginations of artists and viewers. The artist should endeavor to embody Armor Games in a Knightly character.

Goodluck and have fun

• 748 Replies
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,250 posts
Regent

something like skyrim or warcraft,

I would love to do an Elder Scrolls related entry

If you're looking for more game related suggestions, how about designing a Spaceship, since No Man's Sky came out?

Not game related suggestions:
- Creatures/Monsters
- Visualize an abstract concept (could be anything; might prove too difficult to implement, however)
Swarmlord2
Swarmlord2
2,081 posts
Marquis

HERMIT'S ALIVE!!!

Creatures/Monsters

How about a monstrous creature?

*Colours in and re-enters previous entry*

Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

Winner
Well it was a tough call with all these submissions but I think this one fits the best with the theme and he also tried more then once, though I am sure you all put in the effort I can only see what he tried and the two submissions are similar theme but vastly different in skill.

Huwbert2013
http://i65.tinypic.com/20fxqiu.jpg
Well the second one is far better, which is why I prefer a tablet over a mouse because its as close to a penciel and paper as I think you can get without getting too expensive. But I do like the classic grey men alien you did, its an iconic alien though you might want to try inking the image to add a bit more contrast. Have you ever tried inking with a pen and erasing to clean up the sketchy parts? I know shrinking down the image is a simple way to hide the sktchyness but its something to think about.

Runner Up
SirLegendary
https://s32.postimg.org/tunh2z7yd/Space_Alien_Theme.jpg
Well I think its good but could be alot better with some debries, maybe a torn up pieces of the suit floating around. Maybe try some lighting as well, a reflective helmet and simple 3 tone shading would be good.

Other Entries

Ivanxxxxxxx
https://s32.postimg.org/uxn6bhgsl/Ivanxxxxxxx.png
Space invaders lol well I think its cool that is suppose to be the AG logo as a ship right? idk this would be great if we had a video game alien theme...I just think aside from some text and 2 simple sprites that its simple and elegant but not alot of content to look at. Maybe should try an exploded alien in there or having a few shields like in the old game.

Swarmlord2
https://s7.postimg.io/5v0wacot7/IMG_20160806_215117.jpg
Well it looks like you got half way there on your sketch then stopped but warhammer still on your mind lol. Anyways what I suggest is practicing some perspective. Learn to think about 2d drawings in a 3d space. Practice simple volumes like cylinders, cubes and spheres then try dividing a drawing into those shapes. After you get the hang of drawin simple 3d things work on composing forground/background and giving the objects an illusion of "weight" .

Jimmycarlos
http://i340.photobucket.com/albums/o334/jimmycarlos/The%20Space%20Pals.png
Well it is interesting but I am not sure hotdog men and giraffes count as aliens. Also did you
just cut out some hand drawn things and past them on a picture of stars? MIght want to look into some methods for image editing.

Akshobhya
http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag27/ArmorGames/ET_zpsz6mbwuv9.png?t=1469623277
Is it robot alien? or is it a ship? sometimes your art is really abstract. I had a tough time with the geometry in this one. I dont have a knack for abstract/cubistism styles. Anyways I would say that yet another painting in paint that could use a bit of shading. maybe try and used layers to create textures like glasse or something. Have you ever tried any 3d modelling you don't need any fancy tools a mouse and key board is all you need though it might be a bit more work then paint. Blender 3d is free and ther are plenty of video tutorials out there. Sorry if I go on rambling but this is for everyone as well, we are not limited to just 2d art...that give me an idea

Swarmlord2
Swarmlord2
2,081 posts
Marquis

I wasn't last! Will the next theme be chosen by you @Hectichermit from suggestions, or will @Huwbert2013 Choose, as normal?

akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

@Hectichermit, I use MS Paint. After you have suggested, I will try to shade things. And, no, I have not tried other softwares than paint. Blender 3d? I will give it a shot...

huwbert2013
huwbert2013
239 posts
Bard

Do I choose @Hectichermit ?
If so, the idea of a game based idea suits me. I'd like to see something in the style of old 3d PS games like Soul Reaver, Spyro etc.

Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

So I got the next theme...

Round #25: Spyro X Skyrim Crossover End September 17th

Swarmlord2
Swarmlord2
2,081 posts
Marquis

I think that I'll skip this one. I doubt that I am capable of doing this.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Merits have been given out!

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Is that going to be the topic, or should we have a more manageable one?

Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

Well I thought the theme was too specific so i generalized it to
Round #25: Video Games End September 17th

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

OK I've changed it.

Miraidematro
Miraidematro
738 posts
Blacksmith

Noooo : (
I already started working on an epic Spyro X Skyrim piece...
Guess It'll still work with this theme but now I feel like I could have chosen something better.

Swarmlord2
Swarmlord2
2,081 posts
Marquis

I think that I can do this... Maybe... If I have time...

jimmycarlos
jimmycarlos
204 posts
King

I like this new theme!

Thanks for the feedback @Hectichermit. I hand-drew the hotdog man and giraffe and then put it on black and individually drew white dots for stars. You mention for me to "look into some methods for image editing.", do you have any suggestions for techniques I could use if I was to go for a drawing + editing picture again?

Showing 616-630 of 748