ForumsArt, Music, and WritingASC Round #32: Favorite ASC Round (Ends July 3rd)

748 958103
Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

Welcome to the Art Skills Competition 2014/2015, or "ASC" for short. It is a contest to gather willing artists from the forums to compete in a friendly test of their skills and reward the best of their work each round.

Rounds will take place each month, the last day of the month will be the final cutoff for any entries. The judging will take place the first week of the following month.

Competition Guidelines :

1. The entry must be 100% original material.
2. Each round lasts for a month; closing date is at the end of that month.
3. Submissions should be relevant to the current month's theme. (See thread's title)
4. Keep posts resolutions within reason and if you must have a larger resolution, link it to the entry.
5. Entries can be created in any medium, please note that it will be appreciated if hand drawn entries are cropped to contain only the intended work.
6. Winners will be announced by the judge of the competition at the end of each round; the results are final and non-debatable.
7. The winner of a round will have the right to choose the next theme; if this takes too long, the judge will choose one instead.
8. All participants of each round will receive a Merit for their hard work; the winner of each round will receive the Armor Games "Artist Quest"!

Rounds held thus far :

Round #1 : Knight (2014 Page 1) - Winner @kegaumongo
Round #2 : Fantasy (2014 Page 4) - Winner @weirdlike
Round #3 : Smileys (2014 Page 7) - Winner @MrDayCee
Round #4 : Horror (2014 Page 10) - Winner @AHomoSapien
Round #5 : Wild Animals (2014 Page 15) - Winner @SirLegendary
Round #6 : Superheroes (2014 Page 16) - Winner @Alexistigerspice
Round #7 : Birds (2015 Page 21) - Winner @kegaumongo
Round #8 : Alone in the Dark (2015 Page 24) - Winner @Cenere
Round #9 : Through the Fire (2015 Page 26) - Winner @kegaumongo
Round #10 : Blue (2015 Page 30) - Winner @StormWalker
Round #11 : Robots (2015 Page 34) - Winner @weirdlike
Round #12 : 3D Glasses (2015 Page 40) - Winner @Cenere
Round #13 : Self Portrait (2015 Page 44) - Winner @StormWalker
Round #14 : Dragons (2015 Page 47) - Winner @huwbert2013
Round #15 : Demons, Green Mouse (2015 Page 51) - Winner @FishPreferred & @kegaumongo
Round #16 : Crystal, The night (2015 Page 53) - Winner @Koshionos
Round #17 : Extraterrestrial Life, Coffee (2015 Page 53) - Winner @Cenere
Round #18 : Cats or catman, Rocking horse (2016 Page 55) - Winner @Shoeminor
Round #19 : Aether, Balloons (2016 Page 55) - Winner @Reton8
Round #20 : opposition, science (2016 Page 55) - Winner @akshobhya
Round #21 : Summer (2016 Page 38) - Winner @Laspa
Round #22 : Flowers (2016 Page 39) - Winner @ivanxxxxxxx
Round #23 : Ninja Horse (2016 Page 40) - Winner @SirLegendary
Round #24 : Space Alien (2016 Page 41) - Winner @Huwbert2013
Round #25 : Video Games (2016 Page 43) - Winner @Miraidematro
Round #26 : Music (2016 Page 45) - Winner @SirLegendary
Round #27 : Masks (2016 Page 47) - Winner @Gaboloth
Round #28 : Winter (2017 Page 48) - Winner @ivanxxxxxxx
Round #29 : Dead Nature (2017 Page 49) - Winner @Laspa
Round #30 : Women (2017 Page 49) - Winner @ivanxxxxxxx
Round #31 : Dead Nature 2 (2017 Page 50) - Winner @ivanxxxxxxx and @HahiHa

Starting theme...

Round 1: Knight
This months theme will be dedicated to creating a knight representing that of Armor Games, it is a non official character to try and stir the imaginations of artists and viewers. The artist should endeavor to embody Armor Games in a Knightly character.

Goodluck and have fun

• 748 Replies
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Looks like a creepy hand that comes out at night to haunt me in my dreams... (oO)
Nice one @StormWalker! ^^

Miraidematro
Miraidematro
738 posts
Blacksmith

Seems like the initial topic can be stretched this way... I like it...

riku_ullman
riku_ullman
1,148 posts
Farmer

just realised that that smily face is an arm. cree-py!

nivlac724
nivlac724
2,555 posts
Shepherd

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q661/Nivlac724/ScreenShot2014-09-22at72219PM_zps85acf1f1.png

I call it...

Soulless Face!!!

Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

ring ring ring, last day to submit something....AG midnight is the final hour

StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

I hate to be the one that goes "HEY WHEN R U GONNA UPDATE U SCRUB" but that's basically the point of my post, except much more politely phrased.
*ahem* *wipes away dust*
I hope you're not busy, and I'm looking forwards to seeing how you criticize our art!

Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

I got have been busy with exams most of the week and I have something to do Saturday, I expect to have time on Sunday . Sorry if it seems dusty but I did say I would use the last week to judge, Sometimes i get to it at the beginning sometimes at the end of the week. Also I do not think I am a very good judge of art, I do not even think I am a good artist, I am doing this for one real reason to get people to draw . I just think its a good cause, I think it should be taught in schools as much as they teach kids to draw letters and numbers, I mean seriously so much emphasis on the symbols that are so abstract that it causes some people to hate them...I sometimes hate them :P, and everyone forgets, someone drew these things and then someone else liked them and decided that has some sort of meaning, yet no one tries to discuss peoples original art, that what I am doing. trying to give an opinion that might be helpful and allows an artist to have some insight on what someone else sees in the meaning of their drawing.

....late night ramblings I am going to sleep see you guys on Sunday

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Hey... your font color changed @HecticHermit?! =P

I really applaud how you're handling this art competition! Your criticism is much appreciated and always well based, which makes it a learning point for those that dabble in art. Thank you for taking the time to do this! =)

Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

Winner

MrDayCee
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3839/15052019139_4d441729bc_z_d.jpg
I give this place to you because the other ones just creep me out...not making me smile

Not really I just find that if I were to consider the theme that our of all of these submissions I think yours would be closest to a emote smiley that would be used on the Interwebs. I think you could still improve, the techniques you found have really improved your inking/line art but I think now you would benefit from a little practice in shading. I know you like your gradients and the one you used fit well with giving the light bulb a glow but sometimes you can learn more by filing in the colors yourself with a brush tool. I would suggest practicing a 3 tone color theme. The easiest way to explain this is you take your base color, that is what color thing you have then apply a shade color and a lighter color. Determine where your light sources will be by directional arrows can help out. You will want to apply the 3 tone scheme with each base color. Even blacks and whites still have different tones on an an object it is because even in the brightest places will hacve shadows and the darkest places will have light to see something there will be depths .

Runner Up

Renton8
http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a627/Reton8/AG%20Image%20Uploads/Smiley_Face.jpg

This was a really good submission but what I did not like about it is the consistency was thrown off the cartoon like quality of the mouth and head were a harsh contrast with the eyes and background. I think if you would have inked out the eyes and blood of the drawing it would have taken first easily. May I also suggest what I told MrDayCee that each color in a drawing should have some shading and highlights.

Other Submissions

Nivlac274
http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q661/Nivlac724/ScreenShot2014-09-22at72219PM_zps85acf1f1.png

A fine smiley Nivlac the improvement from your preious submission is far better but the color is a bit flat, it would benefit from some shading, even a gradient could work if you are using a mouse. Drawing with a mouse can be difficult, I tried it once and was so tough I gave up on it, nice to see you are trying to get better at it maybe you can rival MrDayCee in the near future. he also uses a mouse from what I asked him.

Miraidematro
http://s1.postimg.org/m6uwzqav3/image.png
Your submission seems lacking in substance from the last one. It fits the theme well I think what it lack is coolness the text draws more attention then the smiley and the colors seem to be a bit grey/dull. I think using more cool colors would have benefited you, yes there are cool colors just google them B)

ChromeDeathRazor
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k515/ChromeZard/crazygirlsmile.png
Run away!!!!! Muuurderer
Well drawn but I think the theme was more towards emoticons so it is horribly tough to take in consideration entries that do not fit the theme. Also the character must have swam in a pool of bloods :P I would think there would be a pool collecting below. Aside from that you might want to look into more horror and macabre genres and see how the blood flows on the surface of the characters, you'd be surprised how much it sticks to them . BTW I fond an evil looking movie called Smiley...it was more disturbing to see that then this X.X

StormWalker
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/258/6/4/ag_smiling_contest_by_stormspanner-d7zcau8.jpg
StormWalker I can see you have really good sketching skills but lack any method of capturing them for the internet. As I suggested you might want to learn some basic image editing skills to improve the image but other then that I couldn't place such a strangely intriguing submission in this theme because I think it was aim to be more emoticons. Perhaps we can have a better fitting theme next round since its near the Halloween holiday.

scottmcmirty
http://i.imgur.com/dsCSvJF.png
It looked like you copied and pasted things over a pumpkin you drew . I would think that the bat shaped mouth would be glowing similarly to the eye, which are candy corn, though you might want to look at some photos of real jack O'lanterns to see how they really look. Work on some spheres and see how things would wrap around it.

Weirdlike
http://i.imgur.com/Luk91kc.png
Smile you are last in my thoughts, :P just kidding I would say that the emoticon was good but the background is bad. Seems like you were trying to make the smiley angry by placing him in a room with lazers. But seriously thats all the consistency is throw off by the background.

So now that round is over can I suggest that the next theme tie into Halloween? Seems like many here want to take a stab at horror/macabre
Final submissions will be due November 1st once you decide on the theme MrDayCee. I will also like to incline that you do not have to post only one image here in the time given, you can ask for help and opinions and anyone will share their thought, I would like to see more activity and I think discussing each others drawings would be a good way to have a progressive competition. Goodluck and I hope to see everyone in the next round.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Goah, I've been really busy lately! (Oo)

Thank you for making my entry the winning choice and for the feedback @HecticHermit! =)

Let's do that theme you suggested... and those that are able to make it in 512x512 pixel format can enter it into the coming Armatar Contest as well!

New theme: Horror!

Mind you... nothing that breaks the AG website rules, ok?

And all contestants will receive their prize for entering of course! Have fun! =)

StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

Ah, horror! My favorite
Apparently not having access to a scanner or anything that resembles a photo editor on my poor, elderly computer is a sticking point. I suppose I'll have to start doing these in pen from now on. Thanks for the advice
I'd be perfectly willing to submit my art as an armatar, but I can't crop well, so when I eventually stick it up here, if someone could kindly crop it to the correct sizes, I'd appreciate it. :

Koshionos
Koshionos
884 posts
Jester

@MrDayCee, will we be posting our art on this thread?

Koshionos
Koshionos
884 posts
Jester

After reviewing this thread, it appears I just upload here. So... How's this?

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd369/Chris-Koshionos/RedDemon.png

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd369/Chris-Koshionos/4b6b82b2639c12bc03c2041679ce9f3a.jpg

Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

Nom Nom Nom Nom...I have seen too many horror movies not to participate, so I'll draw something for the heck of it

Also heres an oldie, way back from one of the first few entries I did for the ASC, dunno if there was an armatar contest back then but I touched it to proportions for one

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh255/hectichermit/Frankenstein_zpsc33f6eaf.png

Julia_Witherwood
Julia_Witherwood
40 posts
Farmer

Haha, horror time! Well, I may use my own character for this because of demonic stuff... However, does it even suitable...?

Showing 76-90 of 748