ForumsWEPRThe Religion Debate Thread

704 250465
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

So yeah, our threads on religion have long since died out, so I figured it would be time to start afresh here!

Do you believe God exists (I know almost all of you don't)? Do you feel religion is important today? Is it a force for good? Discuss everything related to that here!

I'm going to start the ball rolling:

We all know about the rise of ISIS and the terrible acts it perpetuates. Does that show that Islam and religion in general is an awful concept? Is it the people who twist it? Or is it fundamentally an evil force?

Roping in the WERP frequenters
@MageGrayWolf @Kasic @Hahiha @FishPreferred @Doombreed @09philj

• 704 Replies
Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

Oh I see now. Yes if you treat it as a title, then that's the only approach that makes sense

BalkanRenegades
BalkanRenegades
824 posts
Treasurer

All right now, most of the time I was simply jumping in the tread just to write something, but now I want to really get into this topic.

The question I wanted to ask is: Is God maybe punishing us for what we've done?
Religion has often been a part of my interests. I've seen a lot of documentaries and read a good number of that topic. And sometimes while looking at society as it is today and what is happening to us like natural disasters or similar, and I often think "Is that because of us? Because of some force from above? Did maybe a devil got inside some people who then did something that divided us and made us fight and have wars?". Now, almost everybody will find an explanation for this, but how can you explain what happened to person who allegedly died and came back to life?

Sorry if you don't understand or if I putted too much stuff in one post.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

I don't see any obvious reason to assume global events are somehow led by a divine or evil hand. When you actually go looking for the causes, they're more complex but definitely natural. In the end, it is often us who are doing this onto ourselves. And this is important to realize, because only when you know the real cause can you do something against it; accepting it as a divine punishment and not doing anything about it won't change things.

As for this coming back to life matter, can you give us an actual example?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

If he is punishing 6 billion of us for what he perceives as sin on our part, then we might as well give up trying to repent and reform as 6 billion people have thus far not succeeded to conform to his standards.

If he is punishing just a few people, but 6 billion of us suffer in some form or another, then he is an evil god.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Is God maybe punishing us for what we've done?
Why would this God need to resort to punishment? Exactly what good does decreasing people's quality of life do? How would this correct their errant behaviour rather than aggravating it?

Did maybe a devil got inside some people who then did something that divided us and made us fight and have wars?
Why would that warrant the punishment of anything except possibly the lone devil who caused it?

Now, almost everybody will find an explanation for this, but how can you explain what happened to person who allegedly died and came back to life?
She/he had false things alleged about him/her. Unless, of course, you mean clinical death, which is a fairly ordinary occurrence.
BalkanRenegades
BalkanRenegades
824 posts
Treasurer

Thanks for sharing your opinions. You cleared my head a bit with your answers.
I was just curious, because for me, it's not possible that there is such a big number of people who want humanity the worst, even if there is 7 billion and more of us on the planet.

In the end, it is often us who are doing this onto ourselves.

But why? Why do we? I want to know why are we doing this to ourselves? Just being greedy, selfish or simply "evil" is not an explanation.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

I don't see anything to debate here. It's just the highly outdated remarks of someone who was overly fond of moralistic fallacies.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

But ... I just ... did.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

I have to agree with FishPreferred. If at least your post would have contained even a trace of analysis, personal argument or opinion...

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

I don't prefer to descend from an animal. I just was.

It's not a matter of choice. The translated text pursues a deeply rooted historical drive to portray humanity as special. But that's just all it is.

Evolution has a whole spectrum of evidence to back it up. It wasn't plucked out of the sky due to someone's alleged preference to be descended from an ape. The argument being refuted has never been an argument that evolution proponents have utilised.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

Why want to come from the animal and not God?

Science doesn't follow desire. It follows evidence. This is like the Church asking Galileo, "Why don't you want the earth to be the center of the universe like the Bible says?" Reality doesn't care what we want.
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

One thing to keep in mind here is that the truth of atheism does not swing with the truth of evolution. In other words, if the entirety of evolutionary theory was somehow shown to be false, this wouldn't speak for the truth of theistic belief.

Accepting scientific research, as EmperorPalpatine has pointed out, is to simply follow evidence. While there may be some motivation (beyond the evidence) for an individual to accept or reject evolutionary theory, we should just keep in mind that these are two distinct notions.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Anyways, religious arguments are not my thing, I prefer to just watch them unroll, just as I enjoy reading two people in the comment section of Youtube arguing for 100 comments straight.
Then have I got a treat for you:
http://armorgames.com/community/thread/7315679/theism-and-atheism
http://armorgames.com/community/thread/1187531
minecraftsniper
minecraftsniper
697 posts
Herald

In my opinion religion is made just for people to feel safe at the time of them dying , because all religions have something special wating for you after you die , if you did good things while alive of course ,i'm not a religious person at all , even tho i attended a catholic school here in my country where i realized that living without religion or with something that "controls your movements" so to speak , is actually pretty great , is like feeling free without having to worry about saying a lie and being one step closer to hell. Personally , as said before , i'm not religious at all , but i dont go around saying *insert religion here* is bad and should be banned, if people want to believe that im all ok with it; as long as they dont do anything crazy as part of their religion (talking about killing people or hating on poeple's sexual orientations).

BalkanRenegades
BalkanRenegades
824 posts
Treasurer

In my opinion religion is made just for people to feel safe at the time of them dying , because all religions have something special wating for you after you die

I must agree with you, I feel much safer when I know that someone from above is protecting me even when I'm dead.

if you did good things while alive of course

But what are those "good" things that we should be doing when we are alive? People in extremist and/or terrorist organisations are in 99,9% of the time claiming that actions they are doing have religious purpose.
Showing 106-120 of 704