ForumsWEPRAbortion

1508 314910
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

What my peers here think?

I would like to try and avoid a buch of rabid Catholics and Christians falling back only on the religious reasons and what have you. However, I do not see how that can be dodged.

My view? I'm for it. If a woman wants to get one, it is her choice. Some people seem to act like if one woman gets an abortion, it means that all the rest have to. If the child in question is not yours, butt out.

Also, on a lighter note, I say that abortions should be allowed when kids are up to 18 years old. That would solve a lot of headaches, eh?

• 1,508 Replies
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,826 posts
Duke

A virus can react and respond to its environment. Just look at the AIDS virus...

chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
637 posts
Peasant

It cannot. A virus doesn't live. It is called natural selection. Only the virus that accidentally mutated to become more infectious and that works survives.

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

A virus is not technically considered living, since the do not follow the basic criteria of a living thing. Viruses do not have a metabolism, they take over other cells and program them to make virus cells. Viruses also do not grow. Metabolism and growth are considered two essentials to life. This is why viruses are not considered to be 'living'.

chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
637 posts
Peasant

Wait was that to Moe or me. If it was to me I clearly stated:"A virus doesn't live."
Bacteria are a different story.

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

It was just sort of a statement referring to the topic. not necessarily to one person or another.

chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
637 posts
Peasant

Bacteria can move and react, but they are uni-cellular. This means killing one kills the whole organism. However, in a human that is not true. You have 110 trillion cells in your body. Only 10 trillion are yours. The rest are bacteria.

zorvaz
zorvaz
201 posts
Nomad

wait sorry but what is this thread about i cant understand it

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

Chiliad, what was the point of you referring to telomerase? I am not sure I quite see where you were going with that one.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,826 posts
Duke

"Potential life is different than life. Look up the enzyme telomerase. Once the baby can react and respond to it's surroundings it is a human."

I agree that a virus is not alive, but it certainly can react and respond to its environment. But at this stage, I don't think a fetus is any more alive than a virus.

steevo15
steevo15
1,562 posts
Peasant

if abortion did not exist there would be 4 MILLON+ more people on the earth today

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

That isn't necessarily true. Take into account (may not be many) those that used abortion as a method of birth control. They may not have gotten pregnant if abortion didn't exist. Also, you could say the same thing about most anything that reduces the population, but it doesn't make it right.

chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
637 posts
Peasant

"I agree that a virus is not alive, but it certainly can react and respond to its environment. But at this stage, I don't think a fetus is any more alive than a virus."
Once again natural selection. A virus copies itself countless times. Random mutations happen. The viruses best suited to survive survive, the ones that arn't don't. It'ss not response, it is sheer number.

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

steevo, not all of the children that were aborted would have survived long enough to be born anyways. I think the survival rate up to 3 months is only about 33%. I might be a little off on that statistic, because I took the class I learned it in over a year ago, but I am pretty sure that is what it is. Either way, that chances of a child who is conceived, actually being born, is quite low.

Pfhortipfhy
Pfhortipfhy
70 posts
Nomad

@ Chiliad: The question here isn't the state of living vs. nonliving (and viruses as well as fetuses are alive), it's a question of sentience. Are we killing a person, or an animal? I am divided over this issue, but I still believe in free abortion for these reasons.

If a person gets pregnant when they are unable to support the child, not only does that ruin the parent's (or parents' life, it also has a good chance of ruining the child's life. I judge my "right" versus "wrong" in terms of pain caused, and since the child will most likely not feel the pain of the abortion, it most will certainly feel the pain of being homeless and starving, or even abandoned on the street. Abortion, seen in that light, is something of a mercy killing.

DecadentDragon
DecadentDragon
242 posts
Nomad

I think this world is overpopulated already.

Showing 226-240 of 1508