ForumsWEPR[necro] Legalization of Marijuana

794 157413
ligaboy
ligaboy
1,051 posts
Peasant

I know that there is a topic about legalizing drugs, but I wanted to talk about Marijuana specifically.

Marijuana was banned in 1937 in the US and is now said to be a gate-way to more dangerous illegal drugs. However in this current state of economy I think we'd be better off with the legalization of marijuana. First, it would provide jobs for people. Second, more tax money to the government. Third, it would decrease sale to minors.

• 794 Replies
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Marijuana is very relaxing. As much as marijuana can cause stress, it can relieve it just as easily... if not... more easily.

Pardon my poor grammar. I've been too lazy to double check it lately.
WoodyGuthrie
WoodyGuthrie
185 posts
Nomad

NoName, will you marry me?

German3945
German3945
996 posts
Nomad

Banning marijuana does nothing good. It puts into prison hundreds of thousands of innocent people who possess it. This costs taxpayers themselves a fortune because we spend $40,000 on each prisoner a year.

i know a good amount of people, and older people i know know even more people, who were smart and had promising futures and didn't get jobs they easily deserved due to marijuana imprisonment.

Okay, right now I'm wondering what exactly the effects are from using pot. I know the media exaggerates it, but what are the real effects?

1) while high, you have slower reaction time (yet still better than alcohol, and those who are used to the drug have the ability to focus)
2) while high, you have a dry throat, sometimes hungry, sometimes dry eyes, and if it's really good weed then you'll be slightly to moderately disoriented
3) whether high or having smoked somewhat recently, marijuana can often lift stress. through personal experience, i have found it keeps me less stressed and simply less on edge and less bogged down by the day's troubles.
4) it is prescribed for physical pain relief. I have bad knees from a gory bicycle accident i had when i was 12 or 13, yet on marijuana i've noticed less to no swelling of the knees after rough physical activity. also, where before my knees hurt and were tired after walking up half a flight of stairs, when i have weeed in my system the 12 flights of stairs in the middle of a school passing period aren't a depressing painful obstacle, and it's not the bane of my day.
5) Marijuana has been scientifically proven (several times) to significantly reduce the size of brain tumors.
6) It has been proven to damage the lungs, but no lung cancers have been connected to marijuana use.
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Noname for once we agree eh?

Other than the smoke, it isn't that bad for you.

Marijuana can even be taken in ways in which the smoke is eliminated.
There are different techniques. For one, you can bake marijuana brownies.
German3945
German3945
996 posts
Nomad

Marijuana can even be taken in ways in which the smoke is eliminated.
There are different techniques. For one, you can bake marijuana brownies.

which, supposedly, actually enhances its' positive aspects.
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

1) while high, you have slower reaction time (yet still better than alcohol, and those who are used to the drug have the ability to focus)
2) while high, you have a dry throat, sometimes hungry, sometimes dry eyes, and if it's really good weed then you'll be slightly to moderately disoriented

6) It has been proven to damage the lungs, but no lung cancers have been connected to marijuana use.

The excuse to throw someone in prison for smoking marijuana is to prevent people from having these side effects... is it really worth it?

YOU HAVE MARIJUANA?! IF YOU SMOKE IT, YOU MIGHT HAVE A DRY THROAT AND YOU WILL BE HUNGRY! YOU WILL ALSO HAVE A SLOWER REACTION TIME! I'M SENDING YOU TO JAIL!
German3945
German3945
996 posts
Nomad

YOU HAVE MARIJUANA?! IF YOU SMOKE IT, YOU MIGHT HAVE A DRY THROAT AND YOU WILL BE HUNGRY! YOU WILL ALSO HAVE A SLOWER REACTION TIME! I'M SENDING YOU TO JAIL!

not to mention, those who are veterans in marijuana use have less affected reaction time and won't be as hungry, if at all.

i personally barely ever get the munchies-- usually only when my body is truly hungry and beforehand my mind was setting it aside.
German3945
German3945
996 posts
Nomad

it's not that i'm connected to it and i don't have a dependency on it, it's just that currently with my set up -- polluted air contributes -- it's an easier and more manageable solve to my problems.

and like i said before, the physical pain is a factor. in 7 or 8 months from now, i won't need it for the mental use, but i may use it for the physical aches and pains i get every day. and please, don't say anything about pain relievers-- the only thing those pills contribute are damage to my liver, and even with 1000-1500 mg of Excedrine Back&Body, i have pain after rough physical activity.

i could go over it and explain this in detail for days.
it has wonderful benefits that are unmatchable in the "ups" or "downs"

yielee
yielee
618 posts
Shepherd

NoNameC68 wrote - Marijuana will cause problems...

If marijuana was legalized, people would smoke it like crazy for a few years.

You keep contradicting yourself f is was brings such good things, then why did you write that it will cause all these problems? If you want your side to win then you have to name some real benefits. Just saying contradictory stuff while painting a dream world won't make it happen. Dude is right, you haven't said anything consistent to bring this change. The only thing you did was to admit it will cause problems for a few years.

Marijuana use is not dangerous to anybody.

Another contradiction. You already said it does bad things to people who are easily stressed. That's anybody. It also does bad things to people with heart disease, and that's anybody two! Together that's 40% of Everybody!

A person doing drugs isn't a rapist or murderer.

C'mon, that one is well-deserved of a FACE PALM.

You also can't win by using alcohol and tobacco. Are society considers these to be very bad things. There to hard to get rid of now, and they cause lots of problems that don't go away in a few years. So there taxed like crazy to compensate for the losses that they cause. And trying to keep marijuana separated from them isn't going to work, pretending that people will switch form one to another. We wouldn't have high drivers in place of drunk drivers, we'd just see drunk-high drivers all over the place. Cause you know there gonna make mar-whiskey and mari-rettes or didn't you think the free market would respond like that so you are just trying to put another bad thing on the tobacco/alcohol menu and TheDude42 is right you don't have a reason for causing this 'few years of problems'!!!

Anyways, it doesn't even matter cause the two party system prevents it from being legalized in the first place, or didn't you and your fiancee figure that one out yet?
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

I keep saying that marijuana will cause problems, but I'm trying to make it clear that these problems are not serious enough to keep marijuana illegal. I'm not going to say that marijuana is perfectly harmless, but I do admit that it can be abused.

For the most people, marijuana will not have negative side effects. I am not trying to contradict myself as much as I am trying to explain that even with the people who have marijuana problems, they aren't that serious.

Marijuana use is not dangerous to anybody.

Marijuana use is not dangerous to almost anybody.

I accept that there are problems with marijuana, but they are for the most part very minor. Any serious marijuana problems will only occur to a small percentage of people.

C'mon, that one is well-deserved of a FACE PALM.

Most drug users are not rapists or murderers. Some rapists and murderers may have been druggies, but I bet more rapists and murderers have drank milk before! Therefore, you can assume that milk is the reason people become rapists.

There is no relation between marijuana and murderers except crimes related to selling drugs and gang crimes. The legalization of marijuana would get rid of this problem though.
Moe
Moe
1,714 posts
Blacksmith

Another contradiction. You already said it does bad things to people who are easily stressed. That's anybody. It also does bad things to people with heart disease, and that's anybody two! Together that's 40% of Everybody!

Does anyone else not know what this is supposed to mean?

German that is your body making you think you need it unless its like a broken leg or something.

You clearly don't know how bad knee pain can be. My knee didn't form right and it occasionally cause me pain, sometimes the pain is so bad that I can't even stand up. I know what knee pain is like, it can be unbearable and not much can stop it.

I accept that there are problems with marijuana, but they are for the most part very minor. Any serious marijuana problems will only occur to a small percentage of people.

Most of those people would already know they have problems and wouldn't smoke anything anyways.
yielee
yielee
618 posts
Shepherd

Moe, you have to actually read the discussion in these pages to know what those % things mean. Read whever you went silent after your intelligent comment that starts out: 'rehabs are not a good source of information', which was before your intelligent comment that starts out: 'government is not a good source of information'.

There is no relation between marijuana and murderers

NoNameC68. There's a strong relation between marijuana and murderers. I just had to google, your to easy!

"The role drugs play in premature death extends far beyond overdose and disease, with illicit drugs associated strongly with homicide."

Are ya slippin'
Moe
Moe
1,714 posts
Blacksmith

"The role drugs play in premature death extends far beyond overdose and disease, with illicit drugs associated strongly with homicide."

That doesn't say marijuana.

Moe, you have to actually read the discussion in these pages to know what those % things mean.

I did... I guess I missed something though.
Moe
Moe
1,714 posts
Blacksmith

Sorry for the double post, but I went back even further than what you said and say nothing about the percentages.

Annihalation
Annihalation
479 posts
Nomad

Despite your beliefs, Marijuana is at least as bad as normal cigarettes, due to people who grow it use chemicals to enhance their plants, and it reduces reaction times significantly. It also is related to premature decay of the brain, or brain damage.

On a side note, I don't believe that Marijuana should totally be legalized, but Hemp should be legalized. It can be used to make fabrics, plastic, car bodies, food, clothes and much more.

One argument is that the Legalization of Marijuana would reduce the amount of deaths caused by it, but that can be disagreeable as the number of Marijuana users would increase significantly should it be legalized. There may be less homicide due to Marijuana, but more deaths due to the chemicals contained.

Showing 391-405 of 794