ForumsWEPR[necro] Legalization of Marijuana

794 157454
ligaboy
ligaboy
1,051 posts
Peasant

I know that there is a topic about legalizing drugs, but I wanted to talk about Marijuana specifically.

Marijuana was banned in 1937 in the US and is now said to be a gate-way to more dangerous illegal drugs. However in this current state of economy I think we'd be better off with the legalization of marijuana. First, it would provide jobs for people. Second, more tax money to the government. Third, it would decrease sale to minors.

• 794 Replies
Gradient
Gradient
36 posts
Nomad

Wait, coffee has such LOW addiction? Wow...

even not so high amounts, will damage your liver slowly causing cirrhosis.

The body can expel a certain quantity of alcohol without damaging the liver at all. But my argument was that alcohol should be banned anyway...

as much as I'd like to agree with you on other things besides marijuana being banned, the reality of it is, that even if illegal people will still find a way to get it. (i mean think of marijuana users now)

"should" was the magic word there. I was just imagining a world where crime is more restricted. In that kind of world, those things could get safely banned. Just my opinion...
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

Wait, coffee has such LOW addiction? Wow...

I mean it isnt THAT high, not as comparable to meth, which scores a 4 (3 on some scales?)
Gradient
Gradient
36 posts
Nomad

Anyway, the worst drug is heroine. I don't even know why it was invented. Very toxic, very expensive, very addictive, and abstinence CAN be fatal. It also inflates your organs, lowers the speed of your eye movements, and removes all desire to have sex.

Let's make it legal!

dacer
dacer
2,820 posts
Nomad

i see where you are going with this, but some drugs should be set as illegal since they really do a lot of harm to your body.

it makes no difference, people will get drugs no matter how strongly the law against them is protected. Making them legal merely cuts down on crime, and lets all the idiotic addicts die.
shadowfyre541
shadowfyre541
61 posts
Peasant

Since when have druggies followed the law? They would be more compliant towards the government and not deal to other users because that's where they're being supplied from.

AnaLoGMunKy
AnaLoGMunKy
1,573 posts
Blacksmith

They tried banning alcohol once, raising crime rates, giving the Mafia an easy way to make money, and generally being useless...

And people are still being jailed for having or dealing a little bit of raw, unprocessed plant (growing conditions do not count as processing). Its a damn plant. A good plant.

My argument here is not that some legal stuff are less safe than Marijuana, and that thus it should be legalized. What I'm saying is that they should also be banned, for today's society's sake.

Why should we ban alchohol, thats just crazy. I like it, I like smoking weed. I know you have the best intentions here but look at the above quote and you will see banning ANYTHING doesnt work. Education and living standards tends to do waaaay more than blanket banning and criminalization ever has or ever will. There are better ways than supression.
Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,420 posts
Nomad

Benefits:
- Taxes on people who sell marijuana
- Legal distribution of marijuana would provide money for the free market, not the black market.
- Less marijuana related gang violence

Extreme Benefits:
- Generate so much money from Taxes on distributors of marijuana that we dig ourselves out of the recession

Detriments:
- More children begin to use marijuana
- Gateway drugs to cocaine, much worse than marijuana

*Extreme Detriments:
- The next generation becomes dumber

As you see, there are more benefits than detriments to legalization of marijuana, but we can always turn back if it isn't the right decision. Remember Prohibition?

*Very unlikely

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

- Gateway drugs to cocaine, much worse than marijuana

If marijuana is a gateway drug, then so is alcohol.

However, marijuana isn't a gateway drug, because everyone who smokes marijuana doesn't have the sudden urge to do hard drugs. Those who are pushed into harder drugs are pushed by friends and their dealers.

Just want to point that out.
Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,420 posts
Nomad

From what I understand, people who do marijuana soon get tired of the same old high and they look for different types of marijuana that make them feel different. Eventually, along the path to find different highs, they stumble upon cocaine.

Yes, alcohol is a gateway drug because most users get hooked on drugs when they were under the influence of alcohol. What is your point?

goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

Marriage is the gateway to alcohol.

The hypothesis that marijuana is a gateway drug is more a self-fulfilling prophecy than a fact.

Moe
Moe
1,714 posts
Blacksmith

Yes, alcohol is a gateway drug because most users get hooked on drugs when they were under the influence of alcohol.

Most people who do drugs might drink alcohol first, but most alcoholics don't do drugs.
Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,420 posts
Nomad

I never said alcoholics do drugs, I said PEOPLE drank alcohol before the did drugs their first time.

dacer
dacer
2,820 posts
Nomad

alchohal IS a drug.

Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

Alcohol is a drug - I've never heard of alchohal though.

Alcohol slows your reaction time and so is definitely classed as a drug.

wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

Alcohol is a drug - I've never heard of alchohal though.

Poor Dacer, it looks like "alchoHAL's been smoking again?
HA,HA,HA, I couldn't resist, thanks for the laugh, *hck*
Seriously, alcohol, tobacco, marijuana and prescription medicines are all drugs. Let's try not to flame and get back on topic, please.
Showing 661-675 of 794