ForumsArt, Music, and WritingWritten Nothings

224 217942
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

An Introduction

He hadn't written anything in nearly a year. No. That wasn't entirely true. He had written something. Many somethings. Many somethings tantamount to nothing. They were no more than writing exercises. He would start with an idea, a wonderful idea, a brilliant beginning and it would go nowhere after a day. His flirtatious romance with inspiration was just that. His obsession with her kept him in withdrawal when she left and his sense of direction deteriorated. In his languor, he wondered why he kept to such deleterious circumstances. And then, she returned.

• 224 Replies
sense
sense
1,036 posts
Nomad

Oh!!!

I want more!!!!!

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

They have Two and a Half in syndication so we get reruns in addition to the current season. They've showed that episode at least 4-5 times already. I did have to look up the season and episode title though. And that was after thinking it was the episode where all three (or two and a half) were hiding in the bathroom for a different reason.

I was going to put up "Chapter One" today, as following from "An Introduction" and "A Preface", but then I remembered what I thought up yesterday. I don't like writing notes of reminder to myself, mainly because I don't remember the notes.

Koans

I once met a man on the municipal transportation vehicles who kept to himself quite a lot. He always picked up the garbage left by other commuters, a water bottle, an empty bag of chips, and throw it in the trash can when he got off at his stop. One day, he got to the door without picking up a most obvious plastic grocery bag.
I asked, "Aren't you going to take that with you?"
He replied, "Why?" and left.
Then I was enlightened.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Haha, nice. You should submit that one to Alan Watts sometime :P

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Alan Watts is dead?

Chapter One

It was a dark and stormy night, but that wasn't the point. Snoopy was one of the greatest writers ever to have ever been born. That wasn't the point either. He was born 25 January 2009. That was, at least, somewhat important. His father never gave him a name. That was probably more important but he didn't care for a name. He called himself Writer. The most important thing, though, was that he never had a mother, or rather, he only had a father.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Alan Watts is dead?

Is that so!
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Is that so!

Is it? I don't know........I haven't read any of Alan's writings yet! *makes sure to read something with his name on it*
sense
sense
1,036 posts
Nomad

Then I was enlightened.

Is that an improvement?

Anyway, keep on writing nothing...
yz125
yz125
256 posts
Peasant

what is the point of this thread

sense
sense
1,036 posts
Nomad

What is the point of your comment?
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Nooo, alt, you missed the point! I'm referencing an old Zen koan...

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Indeed.
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Is that so!

Ah. I knew that was familiar!

Is that an improvement?

Wu.

---
Having written sporadically for the last four years, I can say with certainty that meaning is contrived. Effort may be effortless. Never has any full-length work (1k+ words) I've written been interpreted as intended (except for a piece of sentimentalism that provoked emotional response but not like how the film based on Babe: The Gallant Pig did during that shepherding scene). What is the point? That is literally its own answer.

On the other hand, I'm figuring a reentry point for Part II of ROaTNO. Ah, but what is the point of ROaTNO?

Very few, in fact, I think only one, have ever asked, but what does it mean? No one will ever be satisfied with the answer "nothing", not without having suffered one existential crisis while not being an angsty teen. But the answer is not nothing. Relating to the entry entitled "Koans":

Seinfeld, four!

Oh wait, that's not right.

What is the answer before I ask the question?

And one more thing: When I say I like to write, people often ask me what I write. My answer? Anything.

And yet, this post still goes on: What is the longest lasting writing thread made by a single user? Zophia complained that writing does not get much attention, as did thoad. Most writing threads die before page 8 if they even make it to 3.
*"The Menace, by Firetail_Madness" has 53 replies, but not much actual content.
*"Armor Characters Adventures" fades away at 70.
*"Zoph infested writing" stops at 67.
*"ROaTNO" reached 84 replies (1166 views?! That's 300 extra.), most of those were mine (although I will resume where I left off).
*"Phil's AG Journey" drops off at 73.
*woody seems to have disappeared and not continued "The Balkans".
*"Last Stand: The Story" is at 58.
*"The story of faceless" is at 53.
*" Chronicles of Armor Games" is at 170 but mentorso doesn't seem to be as around as often.
*"The best story ever! (Epic Sarcasm)" at 47 isn't going anywhere.
*"Story... I waz bored..." has 66.
*This thread now has 102, most of them are mine.
*"Amulet, a fiction story" has reached 50 replies, most of it Destor's.
*"The Moderation Wars" has 470 replies and I'll leave no obvious comment on that.

I couldn't find flappybob's story. Not sure how long it was.

What is the point of this thread?
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Heh. No obvious comments from me either.

I've found that there is quite a proliferation of writing threads here, which actually has, for reasons not entirely clear to me, discouraged me from posting my own.

If I did however, I would stick them in my images thread seeing as they all come from the same creative outlet. I never understood why one might feel compelled to make separate threads, it just seemed harder to me.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

I never understood why one might feel compelled to make separate threads, it just seemed harder to me.

Different story, different shell? Erasing past mistakes? Having a "title"?

I've considered putting the content of this threads on ROaTNO as an interlude between Pt. I and Pt. II, as there is no point to starting two threads if I'm going to resume another at a later date, but I didn't because I forgot. I'm not sure if I'm going to resume ROaTNO Pt. II there and drop this thread there too, resume here. Too bad there isn't a way to merge threads (yet?).

**Note that I'm just playing around with style in the following, whether or not it is the "correct" format for conveying the following is a non-issue. I'm not sure if it'll even show up properly.

The Greenhouse Effect

INT. GREENHOUSE - DAY

BOB is pushing through the foliage as he makes his way around the densely packed greenhouse looking for JACK. BOB jumps slightly as JACK appears suddenly in front of him.

JACK:
Hey, Bob! What are you doing here?

BOB:
(puzzled)
Looking for you?

JACK:
Oh. Well, here I am. What do you want?

BOB looks around at the dense foliage around him.

BOB:
(still puzzled)
Where do you sleep?

JACK:
(puzzled)
Um, at home?

JACK stares intently at BOB. JACK punches BOB in the shoulder.

BOB:
What'd you do that for? You said you lived
in the greenhouse.

JACK:
I said GREEN house not GREENHOUSE!

BOB:
Oh. Heh. I though you were weird or something.

JACK punches BOB again.

JACK:
Dude. I told you I'm not weird.

JACK shoves BOB away. BOB falls to the ground.

JACK (CONT'D):
Watch out!

CUT TO:

GREENHOUSE CANOPY

A fanged koala drops down.
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Nooo, alt, you missed the point! I'm referencing an old Zen koan...

Whoops....*facepalm*
---------
Your writings are pretty good, Gantic. I see you also love commas
---------
And yet, this post still goes on: What is the longest lasting writing thread made by a single user? Zophia complained that writing does not get much attention, as did thoad. Most writing threads die before page 8 if they even make it to 3.

My thread has less than 20 replies....
Showing 91-105 of 224