ForumsWEPRThe Religion Debate Thread

704 249971
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

So yeah, our threads on religion have long since died out, so I figured it would be time to start afresh here!

Do you believe God exists (I know almost all of you don't)? Do you feel religion is important today? Is it a force for good? Discuss everything related to that here!

I'm going to start the ball rolling:

We all know about the rise of ISIS and the terrible acts it perpetuates. Does that show that Islam and religion in general is an awful concept? Is it the people who twist it? Or is it fundamentally an evil force?

Roping in the WERP frequenters
@MageGrayWolf @Kasic @Hahiha @FishPreferred @Doombreed @09philj

• 704 Replies
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

And the religious people are either done arguing or need a long holiday

So, sorry if I blurt into some paused open arguments, but has anyone read the Gospel of Judas? I did a while ago, with commentaries from the scholars involved in its decoding and study. It offers a rather interesting alternative view on the creation of the world and the whole hierarchy of gods (yes, plural) and angels. It was probably written by Sethians, an early Gnostic sect, who eventually lost in the struggle to get their gospels into canon and branded as heretics by those who did, so their views differ quite strongly from the modern canonic Bible.

Of course I don't believe in their views any more than I do in the canon, but at least in their text the story with Jesus and Judas makes more sense, in that Judas is the only one to truly know who Jesus is, and "betrays" him, helping Jesus to get rid of his fleshy envelope and return to the holy kingdom after bringing his Gospel to Judas.
Judas could recognize who Jesus really was because he was the only disciple with an enlightened/immortal soul; in Sethian views, only some humans actually had immortal souls (the descendants of Seth if I remember well). This is quite different from the "egalitarian" (sort of) view that everyone can get to Heaven if only they "accept Jesus".

What is interesting in respect to the creation of the world is that Sethians believed that the world was created by an impostor trying to copy the holy kingdom. The big shot in their beliefs was this indescribable perfect being who was actually not really involved in worldly affairs, if I understood it correctly.

minecraftsniper
minecraftsniper
697 posts
Herald

I'm an atheist , but i dont mock religious people for their beliefs , even tho i think theyre stupid , still i dont get why most of religious people , catholics for example , dont seem to have read the bible at all , considering that reading it in its entirety could change a person's way of believing in such things

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

still i dont get why most of religious people , catholics for example , dont seem to have read the bible at all

Many believe that they're unable to comprehend divinity, so to read it and have an opinion without a proper authorized understanding is bad because you're not qualified to interpret it.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

I'm sure everyone has had an English class before on a simple story book, and spent a term / year discussing it.

No wonder people spend a life time trying to understand the Bible.

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

Νah, some people figure it out quite quickly. Either it's a book that is really designed to have so many different interpretations, or they merely think they've grasped it

GhostOfNinja
GhostOfNinja
600 posts
Farmer

i dunno what the general consensus is here but i think the concept of religion is fundamentally good, in that it helps people find purpose in life and hope after it. but in real life, it gets pretty twisted pretty quickly, in that most religious texts condone violence and bigotry fairly explicitly, and religion is used as an excuse for hateful acts all over the world. so, partly because most religions rely on outdated texts as their foundation, religion in real life ends up being a net detriment to society.

minecraftsniper
minecraftsniper
697 posts
Herald

As long as there are not huge problems because of religion (like islam terrorist) its fine for me that people like and worship a religion , what i dont like is the type of people who try to tell you God exists no matter what you think , i went to a catholic school , ironically enough i became an atheist there because i didnt find an explanation as to why do people believe in such a thing , but once again i do respect their beliefs , as long as they respect mine.

GhostOfNinja
GhostOfNinja
600 posts
Farmer

are you saying it's not fine for you for people to believe in islam? that's flawed because there are plenty of muslims who aren't radical extremists, and there are plenty of christians and followers of other religions who are fundamentalists with bigoted views (i.e. racist hate crimes in the name of the bible, to name one example)

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Though one could also turn that around and say that what they reap is their punishment.
Okay.

If they started off unworthy of being in the Garden, God wouldn't have put them there to begin with.
The same goes for several other things, some of which (according to Genesis) are very clearly there all the same.

And, if they were unworthy before eating, what would it matter to God that they did eat?
It wouldn't. In fact, under no circumstances should it matter at all, which is why I said that it's symbolic: It shows them that they are unworthy. Actually explaining that He knowingly made them imperfect and unworthy of His paradise, and that He would be discarding them like used tissues because of this would be terrible for His public image, and I mean this even by Old Testament standards.

If they're expected to take God at face value that He is truly presenting both sides of the argument accurately and that the serpent is truly and accurately unworthy of being listened to, is that any different than keeping it at "don't eat this fruit; you will die"?
Yes. So much so that I'm not sure why this is even being asked.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

@GhostOfNinja
I didn't get the impression that @minecraftsniper meant all of Islam, just the terrorists claiming to be of that faith. Though I agree he could have simply said 'extremists' in general.

As for your claim that the concept of religion is fundamentally good, let me make a counter-claim and say that it is neither inherently good nor bad.

Many ideologies and philosophies help you find a purpose in life, you don't strictly need religion for that. Also, I would even argue that the phrasing "help to find a purpose in life" is not 100% accurate; certain religions (not all, I'm aware of that, but some do) just give you a purpose that you're meant to accept, often with the implicit or explicit threat that not adhering to that ideology may lead to eternal pain.

As for finding solace in the idea of an after-life, I could argue that it actually prevents people from accepting death. So I wouldn't call that fundamentally good, either. All of us, even, as I would claim, the religious people, acknowledge to some degree that humans are mortal, and coming to terms with our mortality is important. At least, that is what I think. As such, can anything that prevents us from accepting our mortality really be considered objectively good?

GhostOfNinja
GhostOfNinja
600 posts
Farmer

you don't strictly need religion for that

that doesn't diminish the value of religion at all. if i have a way to make a steady income, that's good, regardless of the fact that there are many ways for me to do so.

certain religions (not all, I'm aware of that, but some do) just give you a purpose that you're meant to accept, often with the implicit or explicit threat that not adhering to that ideology may lead to eternal pain

to use christianity as an example, i don't think anyone is a christian these days solely because of the fear of eternal ****ation. in order to accept that idea, you need to have already accepted the concept that an omnipotent being exists, which you're probably doing for reasons that benefit you. but even if we accept that some people are somehow threatened into being religious, i'd still argue that that does help them find a purpose in life: they now feel that being a good person will be rewarded in the afterlife, since now they can escape the fires of hell.

could argue that it actually prevents people from accepting death

mentioned this earlier in the post, but by "hope after life" what i really mean is the idea that we're not going through life for nothing. i'm not saying religious people have this notion that they're immortal or whatever, i'm saying they might be more inclined to live as "better" human beings if they think they'll be rewarded later for it. you're also gonna have to elaborate on what you mean by preventing people from accepting death. what do you think religious people do as a result of this that's bad?

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

@KatPryde and that's exactly the problem You think we are trying to convince you and you are trying to convince us. Wrong. We are discussing. As to the reasons for doing that, well personally, I frequent the WEPR just because I love to discuss. Nothing about convincing anyone.

Last4Skull
Last4Skull
2,265 posts
King

For me, I think nothing really die in this world, it's like that proverb of Lavoisier who says :
Nothing is lost, nothing is created, everything is transformed.

We have a lot of things to know, think about multidimensionality, Maybe when we die we just leave this fleshy body, and we transform into another body maybe a non physical one ?
Our frequency change, emittings low frequency voice or something like that and nothing human can listen us, we can't really interact with other and material stuff because we're now unmaterial ?

I'm personally don't afraid at all by death, I don't expect to be save by someone but I'm sure it's not a end, maybe just a phase to pass. One day we will know =) before that we can just enjoy our lives and be nice people whitout absolutely have a religion. But in my opinion religious aren't bad peoples just extremists ones Hahaha x'D !

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

@GhostOfNinja

that doesn't diminish the value of religion at all. if i have a way to make a steady income, that's good, regardless of the fact that there are many ways for me to do so.

Can't really argue with that ^^

to use christianity as an example, i don't think anyone is a christian these days solely because of the fear of eternal ****ation. in order to accept that idea, you need to have already accepted the concept that an omnipotent being exists, which you're probably doing for reasons that benefit you. but even if we accept that some people are somehow threatened into being religious, i'd still argue that that does help them find a purpose in life: they now feel that being a good person will be rewarded in the afterlife, since now they can escape the fires of hell.

Fear is a powerful tool. I think it's what is called a fear appeal, which is quite effective if followed by a simple and clear solution to the 'problem'. There is a certain amount of research on that topic. Staying with the example of Christianity, telling people that they will all go to hell because they're all sinners is the fear appeal, while at the same time belief in God is offered as simple and clear solution. So it's not the fear alone, but also the promise of salvation. An easy way to manipulate people, even if done unconsciously.

Of course, historically speaking there is another completely independent phenomenon; there has always been a rather big 'peer pressure', to put it nicely. Think Inquisition, for example.

Nowadays, things are a little bit more relaxed (sometimes more, sometimes less), but still your faith will usually be determined by the cultural background you grow up in.

All of this to say that a person's faith is not always a result of untainted personal conviction or long reflection. Often you grow up into it or are told that this is how it is. So, even if it makes you feel comforted, I don't necessarily consider a solution to be inherently good if it is dictated by the same people who told you of your purported problem. And that is not even addressing the issue of why 'bad' people are supposed to be able to go to heaven by accepting Jesus while 'good' people who don't are sent to hell.

you're also gonna have to elaborate on what you mean by preventing people from accepting death. what do you think religious people do as a result of this that's bad?

First, let me note that I didn't use the word 'bad' in this context. I was arguing that it is not fundamentally good; that does not mean that it is automatically inherently bad. In fact, I stated in my counter-claim that religion is neither fundamentally good nor bad.

Now then. This is a personal opinion, but I think that promises of an afterlife are just means to conveniently ignore the issue of death. Most animals have no concept of death, but as emphatic beings we humans do, even if only unconsciously; even Christians cry or are sad at a loved one's funeral, against what their belief implies. This makes me think that we all realize to some degree that death is finite, we just approach it differently; and in my opinion it is better to come to terms with the issue rationally (like some philosophers did, or tried to) instead of seeking solace in a sugar-coated mirage (remember that I stated that this is my opinion). I could even argue that an eternal afterlife is anything but good, but that may require a longer discussion. Let me know if you're interested to debate about this

In retrospect, maybe it can be a good thing if it makes people feel better, or at least I can't seem to find an objective reason to think it isn't. At least in concept. As you noted yourself, the way religion is applied in real life gets twisted pretty quickly.

@Last4Skull
For me, I think nothing really die in this world, it's like that proverb of Lavoisier who says :
Nothing is lost, nothing is created, everything is transformed.

That goes for matter and energy, but not necessarily for living beings. The building blocks remain, but the structure is broken down, or 'dies'.

Our frequency change, emittings low frequency voice or something like that and nothing human can listen us, we can't really interact with other and material stuff because we're now unmaterial ?

What exactly do you mean by "our frequency"? Assuming you mean a voice, that wouldn't work since the 'voice' is just air that is stimulated at a certain frequency by our vocal chords. Without a physical body, you couldn't speak, nor 'exist' as a frequency.

I'm personally don't afraid at all by death, I don't expect to be save by someone but I'm sure it's not a end, maybe just a phase to pass.

I'm wondering what makes you so sure of that?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

My friend largely turned to Christianity because of a loss of self identity, and the Church offered him a social support group in some sense, via its members. But he also admits to staying in the Church for fear of Hell, and admits that even if one can't prove God exists, it's better to do so, because the alternative would be to spend eternity in a hellish fiery pit of sulphur and brimestone.

Fear does play a large role.

Showing 211-225 of 704