ForumsWEPRAbortion

1508 314896
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

What my peers here think?

I would like to try and avoid a buch of rabid Catholics and Christians falling back only on the religious reasons and what have you. However, I do not see how that can be dodged.

My view? I'm for it. If a woman wants to get one, it is her choice. Some people seem to act like if one woman gets an abortion, it means that all the rest have to. If the child in question is not yours, butt out.

Also, on a lighter note, I say that abortions should be allowed when kids are up to 18 years old. That would solve a lot of headaches, eh?

• 1,508 Replies
DannyAG
DannyAG
229 posts
Shepherd

I think the point might have already been covered, but the question 'Does a Woman have a right to choose' seems loaded to me.

No one wants to deny a Woman Her rights, so I think the proper question to ask is?

When does life begin?

If You believe that life begins @ Conception, then you need to rephrase the question 'Does a woman have the right to murder her unborn child?

So when does life begin?

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,826 posts
Duke

The other question though is: "Is human life intrinsically worthwhile?" If I don't think it is, then the question doesn't work.
Also, the term murder is used to mean the wrongful act of killing something, which is kind of begging the question, no?

DannyAG
DannyAG
229 posts
Shepherd

That's a great question. 'Is human life intrinsically worthwhile'. I believe all Humans are created in the Image of God and have value.

In regards to 'Murder', if one believes 'Life begins @ conception' and that 'life has intrinsic value', then I don't see how Abortion can be anything but murder.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,826 posts
Duke

Agreed, however establishing those axioms is the challenge. As an atheist, I don't believe humans have any divinely given right to life, nor do I believe that a human life is worth any more than any other creature's life.
So it's the abortion endgame; how to establish some sort of argument that is both valid and sound that can convince someone of the wrongness of abortion.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

Abortion is wrong. That states a lot in matter of the scientific way you study things. Therefore, I do not need to neverless say, abortion is wrong.

DannyAG
DannyAG
229 posts
Shepherd

@Moegreche

So would you agree with Ingrid Newkirk* when she says, âA rat is a pig is a dog is a boy.â

*Founder of PETA

SnowballFighter
SnowballFighter
133 posts
Nomad

I think abortion should be legal for all ages. Teen pregnancy can really screw lives up.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,826 posts
Duke

PETA kind of scares me, but as far as how worthwhile the life is, there is no reason that I should assume otherwise.
That's not to say I wouldn't trade a human life for a rat, but that's only because I am a human and so I have some idea of the conscious states of humans and can identify with them. But I'm sure if rats and pigs could reason they would feel the same way.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

Pssh, I love PETA. Those videos where they show a cow go form start to finish in slaughter house? Priceless. After the videos, I go eat a nice rare steak. Of course, this is from the same guy that watched watched the last televised autopsy. While eating icecream.

If the rat was Templeton, then hell yeah I would trade a human for him. He was awesome. But I would not care about Babe. He would taste far too good.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Peter Singer wrote some philosophy on animal rights, but in a skewed sense. Basically he argues that it is morally acceptable to perform experimentation on 6 month infants if you perform experimentation on animals.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

That makes sense if you look at it through the eyes of science.

Both more or less have the same mental capacity. And you get the same desired effects. But that is about where the similarities end. There are many more animals than people. Animals simply in general have a shorter gestation period and give birth to more offspring. And I do not think PETA every rasied a stink when it came to humans being tested on. But then again there is a group for every kind of testing and such.

chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
637 posts
Peasant

[url]http://www.newhorizons.org/neuro/scheibel.htm[/url]
This is my proof. Most of this is irrelevant, but do read the last two topics. They clearly state that it is during the late 2nd trimester, early 3rd, the brain is very developed. The last paragraph, the one about the voice, is definitive of a conciousness.
I do however suggest that you read more of it because it is just that interesting.

DannyAG
DannyAG
229 posts
Shepherd

One more thing:

I'll never know what its like to have an abortion, or to face the decision of keeping the child in cases of rape or one night stands. If there are any women reading this that have had an abortion, I just want to let you know that you aren't alone and if you ever need prayer or support, I know a lot of good places to find it.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

So...that was a mix of both abortion and religion where one is not ridiculing the other? A kind of co-existence?

Of course, I might just be having a wave of hope wash over me.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

I wonder if they offered free birth control injections and REALLY promote it, if that would reduce abortions.

Also, this is a question of ethics, does it invade someone's right to give them that birth control injection at birth (let's pretend it is 99.9% safe) and have it removed when you are wanting to have a child?

Showing 181-195 of 1508